Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
chinamike
chinamike began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
software upgrade on old Kobo kills Calibre

I have an older Kobo purchased around September last year. I have had no trouble using Calibre until today when I made the mistake, it seems, on the Kobo site of downloading a software update...goodbye, Calibre!
Anyway, I finally got Calibre reconnected to my Kobo. I then tried to re-move (they had disappeared) three books to my device. Calibre said it was done and showed the checkmark next to the books. I properly disconnected the device and got my usual "Please wait while Kobo upgrades" or whatever. But, they weren't there! And when I re-connected to Calibre, the check marks had disappeared.

Idon't know what to do short of buying a new device (and it sure won't be a Kobo!). Any ideas?
chinamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Mike; no need to get in a tizzy. I'm sure if you open a Calibre bug report that the Calibre developer will work with you to figure out what has happened. Or even, post in the Calibre forums and ask for help.

Bug reports are entered at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Try using you regular file explorer and go look for the book files. I don't know where they are likely to be at the "old" Kobo, but if you find them, remove them manually. Also, if you find any files with .calibre at the end, remove those as well.
Then put the book files back, either manually through the file explorer or using Calibre.
Calibre doesn't always play nice with Kobo Touch, and maybe it doesn't with the Wifi either.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
BartB
BartB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm the same as Chinamike. I have been using Calibre on my Kobo (bought May 2010) very successfully as has my wife with hers (wifi version). Then I upgraded the firmware last month (July) and have had nothing but grief ever since, as has my wife.

My wife has difficulty switching the reader off with the power button 85% works - 15% does not. I try to upload an epub I'm compiling as the author releases each chapter and I can find it using Nautilus and can read it using the ereader that comes with Calibre. I disconnect Kobo, wait to "update" and it is not available (cannot see it) yet I look again with Nautilus and there it is.

I've tried to do the radical reset as suggested in other posts but cannot find the download on the Kobo site that is recommended (the link gives a "404 - not found").

Anyway, did the Calibre update and still have the same problem.

I let this rest for the last week and a half as I was getting very angry. This looked hopeful but the frustration factor is back. The biggest irritation is that I down under and Canada is on top. The response time to inquiries is somewhat myopic and slow. :-(

Pity as I like the ereader concept.
BartB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which link are you referring too? Let me know as I have many of them saved away...
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
mfowler413
mfowler413 doesn't littermfowler413 doesn't litter

Device: BeBook Neo, Kindle 3, Kobo Original
You can go into the advance functions on the original kobo and perform a factory reset. However, Calibre seems to have corrupted mine to the point that does not work. I have done it twice and when I try to sync to Kobo desktop I get an error message that my software is corrupted and I should perform the factory reset. The reset is not deleting the sideloaded books as it is supposed to either. I have contacted Kobo but my ticket still says it is awaiting assignment to a help desk operator. I've consider using the 1.4 sofware version that is available in a "sticky" here and then seeing if I can sync and get the upgraded to 1.8.3 again. But since the Kobo is still functioning I am hesitatnt to do that. Any suggestions?
mfowler413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
BartB

PeterT,

The link I tries is in the JCKobo post dated 16Dec10 on the following link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111475

My intent was to wipe the Kobo and reinstall. I am strongly tempted to find the original image as at least it worked.

Bart

Last edited by BartB; 08-10-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Try this link --> kobo-database-1.8.zip
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
BartB

Thank you sir!! I'm downloading and will see how I go. Get back in a couple of days.

Bart
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
mfowler413
mfowler413 doesn't littermfowler413 doesn't litter

Device: BeBook Neo, Kindle 3, Kobo Original
Thanks PeterT. You are much more helpful than the folks at Kobo. They sent me useless reply on using the reset button and factory reset function for the Kobo Touch. I clearly explained that I an original and that I had performed the factory reset twice, unsuccessfully. Apparently Kobo is an e-book/e-reader company that employs people who can't read!
mfowler413 is offline   Reply With Quote