Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
iPhoneExpert111
iPhoneExpert111 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Ocado first online supermarket with iPhone App'

IT LOOKS LIKE people are starting to complain that their "perfect" Iphone gadget is eating up its battery.

But according to the Examiner, the problem has nothing to do with Apple's hardware.

Instead the trouble is apparently due to the new Iphone 3.0 OS, which was designed by the finest minds at Apple. It seems complaints about battery life appeared soon after the operating system was released,

The battery for the new Iphone 3GS is virtually identical to the Iphone 3G's battery, which means that the only thing that changed was the new operating system.

Most people think the problem is with the software's new Push Notification function, which allows the phones to receive messages "pushed" to them from a server.

For that to work the Internet connection must be open, which obviously drains battery power, and some people are saying the battery lasts a little longer if that push function is switched off.

However others think that can't be the only reason and the operating system must be switching on some other function that is causing the problem.

Yet the battery life problem is a major issue for those who need to have their phone on all the time during the day. Particularly since Apple came up with the genius idea of sealing the battery inside so you can't replace it with another one while it is recharging.

Apple is about to update its Iphone OS software and it is possible that the new version will make life better for people who want to use their shiny Iphone for more than an occasional toy.

But the development of a handset operating system that leaves too much switched on highlights the pastel computer and toymaker's lack of solid design experience when it comes to mobile phones
iPhoneExpert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Interesting first post. I see that you are an "expert" but I would tend to disagree that the 3G is that same as the 3GS. If that is so, how is the 3GS 4 times faster? Well, because it has a fast processor, which uses more battery, plain and simple.

Now, if people are getting different battery life on the exact SAME phone with the new firmware... (measurable and verifiable) then I would say that it could be the OS.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I've heard these rumors, but then there are rumors that the US government invented AIDS....

All I can say is, my new 3G S can last a couple of days, with tons of emails (push enabled), some internet browsing, some music, and a few other things. Oh, and I talk a bit.

And, here is what Walt Mossberg has to say in the WSJ:

"Battery Life: On my 3G iPhone, I usually could make it through the day, but it was often a close call, with the battery indicator winding up in the red. By contrast, the new model did much better, never hitting the red zone and rarely requiring interim charging at the office or in the car, even though, because I was testing it, I was pounding it much harder than usual, making more voice calls, playing lots of videos and music, trying numerous apps, constantly downloading email from two accounts, and syncing two calendars over the air.

Apple claims about the same talk time for the new model as on the old, and about the same Web-surfing time over the cellular network. But it says the 3G S gets about 50% more battery life when playing videos or surfing the Internet over Wi-Fi and 25% more time -- an astounding 30 hours -- for continuous music playback."
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
odklizec
odklizec began at the beginning.

Guys, this poster is a clear "Ocado" related spammer. He is posting the same accross the Internet. See his footprints...
http://www.google.com/search?q=iPhon...ient=firefox-a
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote