Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Careermama
Edge User

Glad to join...hope doesn't go route of ores illiad

I ordered even though reading the boards some what scared me. Several years ago I bought an Irex Illiad that was pretty much obsolete a few mons after I bought it. They came out with new hardware and dropped the ball on the old one. Ok not getting licensing for wireless in the USA didn't help. Everything I liked about my Irex (yes I still have it and my 14 yr old will use it till the battery dies and I cant replace it). I love the big screen, I love eink, I love slots that let me use cards. I love styluses. I do have a question... Is flash not supported or is it? On the web page it says yes... The forums seem to imply otherwise? Will this product at least continue for at least 3 yrs lol? My dh is a programmer... Is there an sdk? Sorry if any of these ?'s are answered elsewhere...I am a full-time student and mom of 10 so I didn't have time to read all of the posts.

Careermama

Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The current enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe are like all devices today - a year after they launch, they're obsolete and ongoing software development fades to black as newer models are brought to market. The big guys like Dell do that all the time with their products (Dell releases software updates only for 12-18 months, for example). enTourage, being a smaller company starting out, probably will support existing products for 18-24 months from launch. In many ways they have no choice, as new customers won't buy "old" products. Easy example: would you buy a tablet running Android 1.6 when you can get the new Motorola Xoom with Android 3.0?

There won't be an SDK. However, any Android app you right would work just fine on the LCD side. There's a lot you can do without an SDK.

The eDGes support Flash Lite - full Flash support isn't possible due to hardware limitations. Currently I think it's Flash Lite 2 (equivalent roughly to Flash 7). This allows for some simple uses in web apps, and allows the eDGe to show most YouTube videos (especially in the "Tube" app). Most websites that use Flash, though, won't show the Flash animation on the eDGe.

enTourage has recently revealed that the Android 2.2 update coming in a couple of months will support Flash Lite 4.1, which is the latest in the Lite line. I haven't found clear information on what this version can and cannot do compared to Flash 10. I suspect support will be maybe 75% of Flash 10's full support, but perhaps not quite as fast, and not with the more advanced features.

Advert