Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Battery Problems

After two weeks without usage my sony reader displays a warning massage Low Battery. After 4 hours charging the message is still there and the battery indicator shows a empty battery. what happend? Does anybody have a answer or idea?

Thanks! Steffen
SteffenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffenH View Post
After two weeks without usage my sony reader displays a warning massage Low Battery. After 4 hours charging the message is still there and the battery indicator shows a empty battery. what happend? Does anybody have a answer or idea?

Thanks! Steffen

Do you use the charger or USB? If the battery is too low you can't charge with USB.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have you updated the firmware?
This is a known bug in a new firmware.
Connect the charger to the Reader while it is switched on then disconnect it. The battery indicator should display full charge after that.

Please remember, that even when you do not use the Reader it is still switched on. When you "Switch off" the reader you just clear the display and lock the keys.

Some of us are having problems with the battery indicator even though we have not upgraded the firmware. I read every day and I need to charge the reader every few weeks. So I am not concerned about the fact that one day my reader shows two bars (out of four) and the next day I have to charge it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Weird, after 9 hours charging with the AC Power Adaptor the problem disappeard. I remember that charging the battery needs only 4 hours. Nevertheless, thank your for your helpful comments.

Steffen
SteffenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It may have just been really discharged, the things act a bit odd when the battery is totally flat.

In any case, I'm glad it pulled out of it for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
That's weird, I just came to post the same problem. I've been using the Reader steadily since October, but for the last 4 or 5 weeks I've read paper books. When I came back to my Reader, it's down from nearly-full to one bar.

Does it really draw from the battery when turned off? I thought the big benefit of the Reader is that it only uses battery power when changing pages.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it really does -- diabloNL measured it and confirmed, it uses more power when it's changing pages, but it does use power between page changes and when it's "off," but a good deal less.

It's looking like you get 3~4 weeks on a charge whether you use it or not.

BTW, what were you doing reading paper?!?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Is my Reader's drain-rate typical of what others experience?
Quote:
BTW, what were you doing reading paper?!?
Take a look at my to-be-read pile of paper books. Almost 1000 on my shelves yet unread. And that's only the SFF books.Btw, most of the books on my Reader are ones I've already bought in paper.

Last edited by Michele; 06-04-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Is my Reader's drain-rate typical of what others experience?
Yes, totally normal. It'll lose about 1 "bar" of charge per week, even when turned off. The operating system is still running when it's "turned off" - all that the power switch actually does is to blank the screen and disable most of the buttons. ie it's never really "off" at all (unless you let the battery get completely flat, of course!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The best thing to do for any of these battery display problems is a "Soft Reset"

Quote:
Plug in the device

pop the reset button in the back with a paper clip

then slide the power switch once

That does the trick for me everytime.
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's really not necessary to do a soft reset. All you have to do to make the battery meter read correctly is turn the Reader on and with it turned on momentarily plug in the wall charger. The battery meter will immediately "jump" to the correct setting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Take a look at my to-be-read pile of paper books. Almost 1000 on my shelves yet unread.
Heh. Okay, I'll concede the point.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
kult99
kult99 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hey guys,

i need your help.

I was charging or tried to charge the reader but after some minutes the red light went off, I guess it is for showing if it is being charged or not, so I guessed it was not charging at all.

This morning the reader said low battery and was not working.
I plugged in, red light went off after 5 minutes and now it says it is fully charged.

So I am afraid it is not charged at all, it just shows so.

What can be the problem and how can I solve it ?

Thanks in advance.
kult99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kult99 View Post
Hey guys,

i need your help.

I was charging or tried to charge the reader but after some minutes the red light went off, I guess it is for showing if it is being charged or not, so I guessed it was not charging at all.

This morning the reader said low battery and was not working.
I plugged in, red light went off after 5 minutes and now it says it is fully charged.

So I am afraid it is not charged at all, it just shows so.

What can be the problem and how can I solve it ?

Thanks in advance.
When you charge your reader, you'll see the red light go out but the battery meter will not show 3 bars if it did not when you charged it. You have to unplug the reader from the power, turn it on and then plug the power cord back in. It will then show the correct battery meter. You probably did charge it correctly the first time but did not get it to display correctly that it was charged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote