Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Which eINK reader is the best at handling PDF files (ie, textbooks)?

Without realizing it, I seem to have acquired quite a few eINK readers. I've been using my HP Touchpad (with Android installed) to read textbook PDF files but find that my eyes get tired.

I'd like an eINK reader for reading only. I don't care about annotations, highlights, etc. It would be great if it was easy to jump around and navigate throughout the file without issues. I own the following devices:

Kindle 3G keyboard
Kobo Touch
Nook Simple Touch (not rooted, but planning on it)
Sony Reader PRS-650

I've only attempted to read PDF's on the Sony (a couple of years ago) and the experience was bad enough that I haven't bothered trying again. Are the other devices in my possession any better at handling PDF's? Maybe the Nook with Android installed and the right app could be the best option? Or should I bite the bullet and buy the Kindle DX for the huge screen?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
rutherfordpaul
rutherfordpaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Try "Duokan - the alternative Kindle OS - in English".

For me, it transforms the .pdf reading experience.

Duokan is Chinese soft ware so see flip's & search for Duokan Quidle FAQ (what a weird spelling).
rutherfordpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
rutherfordpaul
rutherfordpaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Duokan - the alternative Kindle OS

Try "Duokan - the alternative Kindle OS - in English".

For me, it transforms the .pdf reading experience.

Duokan is Chinese soft ware so see flip's duokan site & also search for Duokan Quidle FAQ (what a weird spelling).
rutherfordpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I too want a eink reader for PDFs. From what I have read, the Kindle DX is the best one on the market. I am waiting for a model with a larger screen than the DX.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Sadly, you will have to wait a long time.

As far as I know, there have been no announcements of a larger than 9.7 e-ink device for sale.

In fact, there is a veritable dearth of 9.7 devices. Basically, you have the 3 year old Kindle DX, then there is Pocketbook 9xx series and Onyx M92, oh and the dismal Jetbook Color.

I suppose you can order 12 inch developer kit from eINK but it must cost at least a few thousand bucks.

http://www.eink.com/concept_showcase_12inch_reader.html
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
DolphinHD
DolphinHD is on a distinguished road

Device: iriver StoryHD, Nexus 7
Maybe one day there will be a 10.7 " reader with a plastic logic color display. Maybe..
DolphinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
I'm quite happy reading technical PDF on Jetbook Color
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For textbooks, get an iPad. No eink reader is going to be satisfactory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...ipse dixit
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
prconnor
prconnor began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 7 Home Tablet
Jetbook Color and PDF docs

I purchased a Jetbook Color specifically for reading PDF documents. The firmware updates have made quite an improvement in the product. I have noticed that some of the images don't appear on the screen though. For example look here. The cover shows up on my computer using Acrobat reader, and using Foxit reader, but is absent using Jetbook Color. Various other images, but not all, are also missing.

I am very interested in knowing why this is the case, and if other users have had the same issue.

Last edited by prconnor; 09-09-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: corrected typo.
prconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
My 2009 6" iriver Story is good enough: I simply change to landscape view and voilá.

That said, PDF is the lamest thing ever. The fact that you got used to read previews of printed documents on your PC screen doesn't change the fact that fixed layout at this age doesn't cut it for dynamic electronic screens.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650 and while it's PDF capabilities are good for eink, it's not a good enough screen size for PDF. No 6" eink screen is good enough no matter how good the software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Absolutely agree. I bought my iPad just for PDFs, after surveing the eBook market, and I haven't looked back.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Agreed. An LCD tablet is the way to go for reading PDFs.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prconnor View Post
... For example look here...
I tried it on my unit: It's the first PDF which I experienced this problem. Can you contact the support posting your PDF's link, please?