Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
ile
ile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
USB network tethering for Kindle 3?

Hi,

Has anyone tried if this method works with Kindle 3? http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/tethering-your-kindle.html

I'm a new Kindle owner and would not like to try even these hacks quite yet by myself, so if anyone has tried this, I would be happy to hear.

I have 3.0.2 beta firmware in it if that makes any difference...

Thanks.
ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Go look at the thread in the Developer forum here. It will explain what needs to be done to have the usbNetwork option reeenabled.

Why are you asking about this anyway if you don't want to do it to your own Kindle? Be careful about what you do once you enable usbNetwork as you can cause your Kindle not to boot if you don't know what you're changing.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
ile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Go look at the thread in the Developer forum here. It will explain what needs to be done to have the usbNetwork option reeenabled.
I did but I couldn't quite figure it out.

Quote:
Why are you asking about this anyway if you don't want to do it to your own Kindle? Be careful about what you do once you enable usbNetwork as you can cause your Kindle not to boot if you don't know what you're changing.
I want to do it to my Kindle but I would not want to try by myself by trial-and-error.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ile View Post
I did but I couldn't quite figure it out.
Its on here

Quote:
I want to do it to my Kindle but I would not want to try by myself by trial-and-error.
What do you want usbNetwork for anyway?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
ile

The method in my link didn't include any .bin installation, only some commands in the debugmode. I got the impression that this other method (which is in the development forum) requires some hacks to be installed. That's why I'm asking here since I couldn't figure out if this method in my link works.

Maybe I have misunderstood something here, but that's my reasoning.

I just want to use USB networking and not WiFi at all... I have my strange reasons...
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
The method in my link didn't include any .bin installation, only some commands in the debugmode. I got the impression that this other method (which is in the development forum) requires some hacks to be installed. That's why I'm asking here since I couldn't figure out if this method in my link works.
Your link isn't for the new Kindle 3. The old guides don't work for the new Kindle 3.

Quote:
I just want to use USB networking and not WiFi at all... I have my strange reasons...
Ah okay. I was just wondering if you were intending to mess around with the internals of the Kindle as it is easy to break the Kindle that way.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
ile

Quote:
Your link isn't for the new Kindle 3.
I know, that's why I'm asking here if it works for Kindle 3...

Quote:
The old guides don't work for the new Kindle 3.
Well... is the answer to my question "no" then? Maybe there is a way to make it work?

Essentially I'm looking for a safe way to make USB networking work for Kindle 3..
Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

The only way to enable usbNetwork is to use the hacks in the thread I linked to.

Amazon removed the usbNetwork support files from the regular Kindle 3. There is the very remote possibility that they left them on your Kindle as somebody on this forum received a Kindle with the test/debugging tools still loaded on there but I've never seen anybody else mention that they've got them. It is easy enough to test as the usbNetwork command will work if you do have the tools or have the hacks installed. If you don't then it will do nothing and harm nothing.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
ile

OK thank you! That was clear and what I wanted to know...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

I once wrecked an iIiad by tinkering and now am completely cured; I don't even look at the part of the screen where it says: Kindle Developper's Corner.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I once wrecked an iIiad by tinkering and now am completely cured; I don't even look at the part of the screen where it says: Kindle Developper's Corner.
You can only wreak something if you really screw it up (edit boot files and not knowing what you're doing ). So relax ... think about it:

In old ages you won't regret things you have done but things you wanted to do but never had the balls to do it ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
n10
n10 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:

ile, did you find the solution? I am also looking for this...
n10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
DizzyKindle
DizzyKindle began at the beginning.

I'm also looking for this solution...
DizzyKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No idea how the proxy is handled on the K3, and it's not something I really want to look into, so, good luck .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote