Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Spinning (short short story)

SPINNING
by
Kenny A. Chaffin

(Epub version attached below.)

Have you ever spun around and around until you were so dizzy
you fell down and when you did the world just kept on spinning?
My brother does, and he sees things. He hears things too. I've
spun and spun and haven't seen anything. I just get dizzy.

Mom says he's just makin' it up. I don't think so. I've seen
his eyes when it happens. It scares him to death. He did it last
Sunday morning in the church yard. It was the worst yet. I had to
hold his mouth to keep him from screaming. Well, I had to, he
would've had all the church-people askin' all kinds of questions.

He says it's a bad monster. He says the monster will eat his
heart. But he keeps spinnin'. Sometimes I think he's just makin'
it all up. He's three, I'm seven. Sometimes, though, I think it's
true, those are the times I look in his eyes after he's been
spinnin'.

Sometimes he looks at me, eyes wide in terror, and says,
"Help! Save Me! It's the penis monster, It's tryin' to get my
penis. Help me! Help me!" Then he stops and says, "You can help
me, because the monster's already got yours." And he rolls on the
floor laughing. What a stupid three-year-old.

We live in the city. Well, not a big city, Beaumont, Texas.
But my cousins live in the county, on a farm. We're gonna' go
visit them soon. I wish my brother wasn't goin' though. Him and
his monsters, that's all they want to do--talk about monsters.
Sometimes I wish the monsters were real and they really would
come and eat his heart. Mom says I shouldn't say that, she's
probably right. Sometimes he makes me so mad, I just can't stand
it.

We went to see our cousins last summer. I got to ride a
horse, all by myself. They ride all the time. Jill's only five
and she's got her own pony. I wish I had a pony. Be kinda hard in
the apartment though. My stupid brother went and got lost down
the road from their farm house. We had to look for him for two
hours. He said the monster made him go to a special place. It was
a fun summer though, with our cousins.

My stupid brother was a lot more fun when he was two. Before
he could really talk. He'd spin around and get that look in his
eyes and dad, that was before mom made dad leave, would throw him
up in the air. And he'd laugh. That was fun, when he was two.

Then he hit me with the hammer. He told mom the monster made
him do it. He broke my head, so some of my brain leaked out. I
don't remember that part so well. It hurt pretty bad, but not for
long. Mom says it's okay. That I'll be okay. They'll take care of
me in this place. Mom says they've been doin' it for twenty years
now.

Originally published in Vision Magazine June 1991
Attached Files
File Type: epub Spinning - Kenny A. Chaffin.epub (120.6 KB, 365 views)

Last edited by kennyc; 09-13-2009 at 06:43 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Whoa, I wasn't expecting that ending!

for sharing and making the ePub version. I prefer reading on the Sony (even though this time I read it before I could load it.)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Whoa, I wasn't expecting that ending!

for sharing and making the ePub version. I prefer reading on the Sony (even though this time I read it before I could load it.)
Thanks! Glad you liked it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
the unexpected ending - wonderful ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
kennyc

Thanks Geoff!
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Thanks
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
kennyc

You're welcome Animedude01!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I love the voice in this - just right!

Really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Wow - wasn't expecting that! Good short - thank you!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I love the voice in this - just right!

Really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Wow - wasn't expecting that! Good short - thank you!
about the only O Henry type story I've been able to pull off. Thanks for reading.