Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Question Your recommendations please

Thanks for your time in advance. I'll be buying my first ebook reader soon. I'm leaning toward the latest Sony model because people seem to like it and it costs a little less than Kindle. Also, I'm not sure if I want Kindle because of its wireless ability to purchase content from Amazon. Sounds too easy to indulge impulses. My impulse control goes down with a glass of wine in my hand.

What I want from my reader:

Ability to read in low light levels (like in bed with only small lamp on.)
Also ability to read in daylight. (Am I asking the impossible?)
Lightweight.
Decent battery life.
USB interface with desktop computer.

Looking forward to your responses.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you give your what you want list, the Sony Reader PRS-505 will fit all of those requirements without a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Also, I'm not sure if I want Kindle because of its wireless ability to purchase content from Amazon. Sounds too easy to indulge impulses. My impulse control goes down with a glass of wine in my hand.
Heh. You can return any Kindle book you buy. You have 7 or 10 days, can't remember which. So, when you wake up the next morning you can return the ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
And if she's a fast reader, she can read for free, then.

In my case, I've bought the Cybook for, among other reasons, it's native support of the mobipocket format. It's one of the most popular formats and there's very easy to use tools to convert almost everything to that format too.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Thanks for your time in advance. I'll be buying my first ebook reader soon. I'm leaning toward the latest Sony model because people seem to like it and it costs a little less than Kindle. Also, I'm not sure if I want Kindle because of its wireless ability to purchase content from Amazon. Sounds too easy to indulge impulses. My impulse control goes down with a glass of wine in my hand.

Ability to read in low light levels (like in bed with only small lamp on.)
Lightweight.
Decent battery life.
USB interface with desktop computer.

Looking forward to your responses.

Either the Sony or the Kindle would seem to meet your needs. I don't know enough about the Cybook or any other type of ebook to add the the list of possibles.

So, if less expensive is what you want ... go with the Sony.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Either the Sony or the Kindle would seem to meet your needs. I don't know enough about the Cybook or any other type of ebook to add the the list of possibles.

So, if less expensive is what you want ... go with the Sony.
I totally agree, I would love to have multiple devices, I really think you will do well with either the Kindle or Sony and you can agonize for weeks or months over it but I say flip a coin and let the adventure begin. The smart thing would be get the kindle try it out and if you dont like it return it within the Thirty days and go get a Sony.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-08-2008 at 11:39 PM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if I want Kindle because of its wireless ability to purchase content from Amazon. Sounds too easy to indulge impulses.
That is a legitimate concern. I've disabled my "1 click" buy on my regular amazon account for the same concern.

Quote:
The SONY-PRS-505 and the Kindle use a technology called eInk which works like a high tech etch-a-sketch as oppose to an LCD. The result is the stronger the ambient light the easier it is to read on the SONY, like a regular book. This also means you WILL have to have a night light or lamp to read the book at night.

I have the SONY PRS-505 It's a great device, it's sleek and small so it is easy to pack.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the real life confirmation of some important readability features for me. I orderd the Sony PRS 505SC last night. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, I was going to chime in with the fact that the Amazon books are much less expensive, you can afford to indulge. Also, you could try the Kindle for 30 days and return it if it doesn't work for you. Not to late to get one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Thanks for the real life confirmation of some important readability features for me. I orderd the Sony PRS 505SC last night. Can't wait for it to get here.
I would have pressured you to give the Kindle a closer look, but one advantage of you getting a Sony is that you are much more likely to persevere in getting your own books out in Sony format.

Welcome to the world of ownership. The device is fun to play with and in the first few days, you wind up carried away by the technology. But, when you settle down with a book you really want to read, the device almost disappears. Reading is reading. The mechanics of how you turn the page, mark your place, and even to some extent hold the book may vary, but that's it. Heck -- I have to hold hardback books differently from how I hold a paperback.

Thanks again for uploading your novel to the forum here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I like everything about the Sony except Sony.

Welcome to the forum!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Another bonus to the Kindle is the free sample downloads. In my experience, most book stores have rather short excerpts on their sites if they have them at all. Amazon sends you a generously sized sample, usually about a chapter, that you can read on your Kindle at your leisure. If you like it, you can have the book very quickly without really breaking the rhythm of your reading. I find this feature to be a real money-saver since I haven't bought a single Kindle book that I haven't finished. I've downloaded tons of samples and not bought the books, though. Before I got the Kindle I frequently bought books that I didn't end up enjoying. I'd read a little in the bookstore but nearly as much as I do with the sample. They also function a bit like a reading list. When I hear about a book that interests me, I just grab the sample so I don't forget.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave

Hi,

I realize many of you promoted the Kindle to me and I know people like it but here's why I didn't buy it:

1. It's in its first generation.
2. I did not want to be wirelessly connected to the Amazon store.
3. It cost more than the Sony product.
4. The Sony reader had been out and updated after a few years.
5. Sony has been in the consumer electronics biz for a while.

So, that was my reasoning. I'm sure Kindle is great, but it seems like the Sony is too.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think the Sony has great benefits, too. I ultimately went for the Kindle because I wanted the search/dictionary functions but in my opinion the Sony is superior in form factor, looks and price. In general I wanted a reading device because I wanted fewer paper books cluttering my house and the convenience of a library in my pocket. Both of these needs are well served by either device. There are many Sony lovers here, too, and a wealth of books available. I doubt you'll be disappointed!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I think you'll be very pleased with the Sony. I got mine back in January (40% off, post Christmas deal) and have been happy with it ever since. Have had my hands on a Kindle and like it fine but still think I made the right decision on the Sony.

Be sure and let us know how you like it once you get it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choosing ebook reader