Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #46
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I have a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, and the first thing to go was TouchWiz. Rooted, flashed CyanogenMod, and have loved it since then. I don't think it would be any better on a tablet, it just makes me mad because it works so clunky, and doesn't even look that nice, plus the amount of bloatware was nuts. I really like S Memo though, but there's an exact clone of it that someone made for non-TouchWiz and it's even better, even without an S Pen.
Actually, I must be one of the few people in the universe who really LIKES TouchWiz.
I made myself stick with it for a while because I know there is a learning curve on these things, and, by gosh, in a few days I decided I did not want to put Go Launcher Ex on it but wanted to stick with TouchWiz.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #47
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I wholeheartedly second your praise of the GTab 2 7.0... and in particular, the Student Edition that included the keyboard dock and USB dongle.

Using the keyboard dock and a bluetooth mouse has been the nicest and most desktop-like user experience of any tablet I own... And I own quite a few.

I don't know what TouchWiz is like on other devices, but on the GTab it's fine.
I DO have the Student Edition with keyboard and have the setup in my kitchen in a corner so when the Galaxy is not in use for other things, I use My CookBook Pro for all my recipes while the Galaxy is charging in the keyboard base. That app imports recipes from nearly all of the online recipe web sites like AllRecipes.com, etc. and it imported all of my recipes from Now You're Cooking (MealMaster format) so I'm all set.

The keyboard is great and I hook up a VX Nano Logitech Wireless mouse to the keyboard occasionally.
You can also hook up speakers to the keyboard - have not tried that yet.

Oh, and you can connect USB thumb drives either to the keyboard or the device itself. I was able to connect a 500 GB portable EGO Iomega Powered drive (has a USB POWER connection which I connected to my laptop) to it and it showed the files.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #48
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
i'm so confused. Why would you want your tablet to act like a desktop? Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole portability experience?
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #49
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
i'm so confused. Why would you want your tablet to act like a desktop? Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole portability experience?
Because for content creation a desktop-like experience is more productive. For prolonged data entry a physical keyboard is preferable. And unlike a desktop, you can take the tablet and leave the keyboard and mouse behind. The flexibility of this setup is very underrated. Hope did a good job of describing some of the capabilities.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #50
Hope
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Well, it's dual purpose, I guess. Most of the time it's not in the charger/keyboard base; it's used as an ereader or reference - have KeePass, EWallet Go and Contacts, and lots of other useful apps on it including anything GPS related; also takes pictures so I don't have to carry my camera.

Use it in the living room to check email or look up anything on the internet.

I don't have a Smart Phone. It's lighter and slimmer than the KF so it's easily held in the hand for long periods or carried in my purse.

Oh, and I did have an old laptop in the kitchen mostly used for looking up recipes in my Now You're Cooking software but replaced it with the tiny keyboard/charger for the Galaxy - takes up much less space.

All of my kids have Ipads so I'm odd man out.

Last edited by Hope; 10-28-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #51
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sooner or later focus was going to come whereby it couldn't be missed by anyone for comparison purposes and right on their homepage!

http://www.amazon.com/

If I was forced to make a decision to get my first and a new Apple device it would be the Ipod Touch 5 since I already have a decent amount of android devices. I'd could choose the Iphone 5 but already got a good deal on a smartphone so it wouldn't be that.

Last edited by robertc88; 10-29-2012 at 11:34 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #52
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Sooner or later focus was going to come whereby it couldn't be missed by anyone for comparison purposes and right on their homepage!

http://www.amazon.com/

If I was forced to make a decision to get my first and a new Apple device it would be the Ipod Touch 5 since I already have a decent amount of android devices. I'd could choose the Iphone 5 but already got a good deal on a smartphone so it wouldn't be that.
Good on Amazon for going on the offensive.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote