Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
DIY - KeK

KeK == Kindle envronment Kit == not to be confused with LoL.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kek

All KeK resources are being moved to a resource section on:
http://wiki.knetconnect.com/twiki/bi...System/WebHome
(Sorry folks, with next to zero support from the community, I had to reduce my hosting costs. This software may be "free", but my hosting company sure likes to be paid every month.)

Initially, just:
Ubuntu-core-12.04, armel
Ubuntu-core-12.04, armhf
With Debian-7 (wheezy), armel to follow.
Kindle v3.2.1 and v5.1.0 later, after inital documentation.

Public repository of command files and documentation:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/embed/kek.hg/
'hg clone' the above address for a local copy.
Changes available via RSS and ATOM feeds.

Tools, Image filters, Image profiles, Eclipse-CDT, ...
(I.E: files that don't need source control):
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK

Partial draft of the KeK manual, image filtering and resources described:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.xhtml
A second version of the same content, with a working TOC is also posted:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.html

Posts in this thread also have member contributed software builds as attachments to the posts.

In general, post attachments here have not (yet) been included on the KeK resource pool server or mentioned in the KeK manual.
The delay is intended to give members a chance to try out and report back on the post attachments.
In other words: If one of the post attachments destroys your machine, at least it wasn't "released out of context" on the resource pool server where it can not be discussed (no copy of Trac on the pool server at the moment).

When making member contributed software builds, please try to keep a set of "build notes" and post those along with the result of your efforts.
It is the "build notes" that allow others to help run down any problems now and/or build a newer version "your way" at some time in the future.

PPS: For the reader that just stumbled into this thread, see:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Development

Last edited by knc1; 05-16-2013 at 11:44 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Scratchbox2 is cool, thanks for digging into it and sharing your experiences.

(Announce is mostly consisting of marketing s... tuff. Which auditory are you targeting at? Common users believing in common words/buzzwords? It will be good if you'll lure them into developer's camp. Good luck with it -- without irony.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post

(Announce is mostly consisting of marketing s... tuff. Which auditory are you targeting at? Common users believing in common words/buzzwords? It will be good if you'll lure them into developer's camp. Good luck with it -- without irony.)
The target audience will be at a "can follow simple directions" level.
No insult intended to anyone -
It is just the world is already full of development systems that take a Phd to run them.

So I think there is a need for something "simple to use" for the person who does not do this for a living but does have one or two programs to be built.

The files are being pushed to my server now (a slow process).
And I am not sure how long it will take me to finish the write-up.
The pre-release, rough draft of everything will (eventually) show up first in my public repository at: hg.minimodding.com

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
What.
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Thanks. This looks interesting. A step up from tinycc without the complexity of building a full toolchain will be a welcome addition here.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
This Blog is one of the more clearly written articles I have found on 'Net:
http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/

Just skim over "Step 4" - will probably not be used or needed for the Kindles.
Nor is it likely we will find a use for "Step 6" on the Kindles (we have USBnet, a regular network connection for file transfer).

So that Blog will not apply in part, but it is a well authored article for the newcomer.

- - - -

Layered file systems (unionFS, auFS, others) are normally used to combine various existing file systems into what appears as (and works as) a single filesystem.
A very common example is the "Live CD" distributions where the distribution (read only) is combined with local (read/write) storage if the user selects that option.

Doing the inverse of that operation, where you start with all layers empty of content and use them to split (or filter) a single file system into multiple filesystems - - -

Not even Google will find anything on that - I never finished that part of the auFS write-up last December. Not even Google can index something never published.

Google will find you the first two parts of the write-up. For this DIY-KeK application the end-user doesn't need to bother with those details, so those documents they can just ignore.
Those first two parts of the three part write-up where written/published as part of JRO's documentation - a highly technical audience, not our audience here.

Last edited by knc1; 06-12-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Historic Compilers

Historic in the sense that lab126 built Kindle firmware with them.

These are not the exact compiler builds used by lab126 but are within the same Major.Minor series (different patch levels).
For instances where the same compiler used by lab126 has to be used for a project, these are a good match.

All are the re-distributable tar-ball releases from Code Sourcery (now: Mentor Graphics).
Note: The "self installer" releases are limited distribution bundles, for those you have to go to the Mentor Graphics web-site.

All of the following are mirrored at: http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK

K3-v3.2.1 (probably any of the K1..DX, ARMv6 Kindles) :
arm-2006q3-26-*
No "Getting Started" and "Changes" README for this one.

K5-v5.1.0 (probably any of the K4 and K5, ARMv7 Kindles):
arm-2010.09-50-*

Currently the most recent public release:
arm-2011.09-70-*

There is a delay of typically 6 months between when a CS/MG development environment is released for sale and when the public copy of the tool chain is posted.

This source of public, cross-compile tool chains is always a bit "old".
On the other hand, these tool chains have been generating code for paying customers world-wide for six months.
That's better verification than any in-house Q.A. department could do in their wildest of dreams.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

KeK's first cross-compiler

The first cross-compiler toolset(s) to be used are published here:
https://launchpad.net/linaro-toolcha.../trunk/2012.05

Those files are also mirrored here:
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK
With the README.txt renamed to include the release date.

Unlike the MG/CS tool chains, there is no six month wait for these tool chains, they are released (updated) monthly.
Ubuntu is using the Linaro tool chains, so they do have a few miles on them in actual use.
(Yeah, like you go out and cross-compile 18,000 packages - see if your compiler craps out.)

Users need to read the README -
The default code output is VFPv3-D16+Neon for the cortex-9.
So always pass-in the compiler options appropriate for your target processor.

Last edited by knc1; 06-12-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

DIY-KeK Ubuntu Core

The first filter/profile pair is built on Debian-7, ARMel
A good match for the "mainstream" compiler/toolchains.

The next is built on Ubuntu Core (a good match for the Linaro flavor of GCC). This UC is a pull from Ubuntu-12.04LTS (Precise).

The Ubuntu Core description page:
http://www.canonical.com/engineering...es/ubuntu-core

The rootfs release page:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-cor...ecise/release/

You will note that this comes in two flavors: ARMel (ARMv4+) and ARMhf (Hardware float, Cortex-A processors).

The gcc-linaro-arm-* cross compilers listed earlier in this thread have the libraries for both ARMel and ARMhf.

All of which will also be mirrored at: http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK
(Once the uploading completes. Hint: if you don't find a *.md5 file, the upload isn't yet complete.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

DIY-KeK Ubuntu Core

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

[Resolved] Mirroring KeK

Making all of the related sources publicly available without restrictions was what I thought would be a "nice thing to do".
Resolved

There is a single IP address in Spain (inigo.katxi.org) that is accounting for 91% of the server load by their mis-use of wget.

If I don't see a sudden decrease in this server abuse in the logs over the next few days (as a result of this post), then I will have to re-think that "without restrictions" policy.

Yeah, like I wanted to spend my time "Web Mastering" rather than spending that time finishing this project.

Last edited by knc1; 06-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Making all of the related sources publicly available without restrictions was what I thought would be a "nice thing to do".
But...

There is a single IP address in Spain (inigo.katxi.org) that is accounting for 91% of the server load by their mis-use of wget.

If I don't see a sudden decrease in this server abuse in the logs over the next few days (as a result of this post), then I will have to re-think that "without restrictions" policy.

Yeah, like I wanted to spend my time "Web Mastering" rather than spending that time finishing this project.
glub... sorry, that's me.
I initially download the contents, but a couple of fails in the harddisk made me download it again and again.
That was a week ago, I haven't downloaded anything since then.

I repeat my excuses and assure you it won't be repeated.

Iņigo

PS: you could find my email in that site, so you could send me an email.
Anyway, that's not an excuse. I thought your web site didn't have bandwidth limited, my error.

Last edited by Iņigo; 06-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Anyway, that's not an excuse. I thought your web site didn't have bandwidth limited.
The site is limited by the resources of a single, 8-core, server on 10Gbs fiber.

I do not make significant changes without announcing them in this thread, so....

If you use the same target directory each time, and the '--mirror' option to wget ...
and then only when you see an announcement here ...
wget will then only download new and changed files,
and everything will be fine.

On my part, I will see if I can get rsync running on the KeK file tree (someday, RSN).

I thank you for responding so quickly.

Last edited by knc1; 06-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you use the same target directory each time, and the '--mirror' option to wget ... and then only when you see an announcement here ... wget will then only download new and changed files, and everything will be fine.
I know wget. Problem was that the dm-raid volume where I downloaded the files failed, corrupting everything inside, so I downloaded again, but it failed one more time. So I recreated the file system (btw, using btrfs, marvellous file system) and downloaded a third time.

I repeat my excuses,
Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I know wget. Problem was that the dm-raid volume where I downloaded the files failed, corrupting everything inside, so I downloaded again, but it failed one more time. So I recreated the file system (btw, using btrfs, marvellous file system) and downloaded a third time.

I repeat my excuses,
Iņigo
No offense intended, just giving the information for the general reader of this thread, now and in the future.