Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
rononmaximus
rononmaximus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Adobe Digital Editions problems!

Hello everyone,

so I decided to buy a Kobo Touch after testing the one that my brother had and we now share the account. We have 2 devices with the same account and the books bought at the Kobo store work fine.

I'm having problems with the ones we had to use Adobe Digital Editions 2.0, since they were bought outside the Kobo store. They work fine in my brother's Kobo but in mine, they appear with no cover, just a black image, and if I click the "navigate" icon, it freezes my Kobo and I have to restart it with a pin.

Any idea what's going on or suggestion to solve this problem?

Thank you for taking the time to help!
rononmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Have you authorised both devices to the same Adobe account? This is separate to the Kobo account. That is the only thing I can think of. It shouldn't cause the problem you are seeing. You should see a message about not being authorised.

Thinking back, I have seen something like this, but in a beta firmware Are you using a firmware version pushed to you by Kobo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
rononmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you authorised both devices to the same Adobe account? This is separate to the Kobo account. That is the only thing I can think of. It shouldn't cause the problem you are seeing. You should see a message about not being authorised.

Thinking back, I have seen something like this, but in a beta firmware Are you using a firmware version pushed to you by Kobo?
Hi,

thanks for replying. I just connected the kobo to the computer where I had ADE and transferred the books, with no problem at all. But then when I try to read them, I have the problems mentioned above. I can use the touch screen to read the book but it has no cover and if I touch the navigate icon, it freezes completely. I only have the firmware that you get from the normal updates.

Thanks!

Edit:

Ok, I checked the software details and mine is 2.2.2 and my brother's is 2.1.5 - I wonder if this might be the problem? He bought his like 3 months ago and there are some differences, like menus and intro screens that I have and he doesn't.

I hope this isn't the problem. How am I going to fix this if it is?

Last edited by rononmaximus; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rononmaximus View Post
...Ok, I checked the software details and mine is 2.2.2 and my brother's is 2.1.5 - I wonder if this might be the problem? He bought his like 3 months ago and there are some differences, like menus and intro screens that I have and he doesn't.

I hope this isn't the problem. How am I going to fix this if it is?
2.2.2 huh? Are you living in Japan? When did you get this update? The newest update I can see on the boards is 2.2.1 and that is Japanese only right now.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
rononmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
2.2.2 huh? Are you living in Japan? When did you get this update? The newest update I can see on the boards is 2.2.1 and that is Japanese only right now.

No, I'm from Portugal and I bought the Kobo yesterday. In software details it says:
2.2.2 (r44827, 09/11/12)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
rononmaximus

Anyone has any idea how to fix this or is having the same problem?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you check a few things

On your Kobos go to Settings | Account
Does it show the same info on both Kobo's for "ADOBE AUTHORIZATION" (ie the same eMail Address)?

In ADE, verify that ADE is authorized to the SAME eMail address, and NOT to the computer. I think this is different in menu locations between ADE 1.7 and ADE 2.0
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
rononmaximus

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I checked and both authorizations - ADE and Kobo - mention the same email. We connect both devices to the same computer but I'm assuming that can't be the problem, right?

I'm thinking that it's a firmware issue, since it's the only difference between the devices. I really have no idea why my brother's Kobo didn't updated to the firmware I have, since they were bought at the same store (Fnac) just at different times - might be that he hasn't opened the Kobo software in quite some time?

By the way, I tried using Calibre to upload one the books I had in ADE and had the same result - black cover and when I used the navigate icon, it froze.

This is very annoying!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something you can try since you can't use it to read books right now anyway. Do a reset. Turn device completely off (not sleep), press and hold the home button, slide and hold the power button for about 5 secs I believe. This will reset the device to factory installed firmware. I know you just bought it but I can't find any mention of the 2.2.2 firmware. Highest I see mentioned is 2.2.1 for Japan. At the least all that will have happened is that you go through the setup procedure again.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
rononmaximus

Quote:
Something you can try since you can't use it to read books right now anyway. Do a reset. Turn device completely off (not sleep), press and hold the home button, slide and hold the power button for about 5 secs I believe. This will reset the device to factory installed firmware. I know you just bought it but I can't find any mention of the 2.2.2 firmware. Highest I see mentioned is 2.2.1 for Japan. At the least all that will have happened is that you go through the setup procedure again.
I'm going to try this but I'm guessing once I sync it to my account, it will be the same. But maybe something went wrong the first time and it will be fixed! Thanks for the suggestion, fingers crossed!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
rononmaximus

Well, it didn't work I sent an email to Kobo support and they told me to try the same thing, factory reset.

I don't understand what's wrong and it's very annoying. Of course I can read the book not using the navigate icon and browse the library without thumbnails but those functions should be working.

I tried downloading the book again from the store and adding it to the device and no luck. Then I tried uploading a free ebook through ADE and that worked fine, displaying the cover and totally ok with using the navigate icon.

It can't be because my brother still has them on his device, right? If that was the problem, it wouldn't let me transfer them. Since it's a problem with reading and displaying covers, I assume it's a software issue?

My brother is already saying he'll never update his Kobo until I solve this...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Danger
Evangelist

Hmmm if the free book works... did you load the free book using ADE? If so then maybe there is something wrong with the book itself. The only way to narrow it down is to load other books.

Do you have any other bought books you can load on the Kobo?

Can you re-download those books you are having trouble with from the retailer you bought them from?

Do the books you are having trouble with have DRM or are they DRM free?

Have you tried removing the DRM if they came with DRM?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
rononmaximus

Quote:
Hmmm if the free book works... did you load the free book using ADE? If so then maybe there is something wrong with the book itself. The only way to narrow it down is to load other books.
Yes, I loaded them with ADE. We've tried deleting the bought books from my brother's Kobo and uploading them again and it had no problems reading them or displaying the covers when browsing the library (that's why I say it's a firmware problem, since it's the only thing different)

Quote:
Do you have any other bought books you can load on the Kobo?
No, I only have books from the Kobo store and two from ebooks.com

Quote:
Can you re-download those books you are having trouble with from the retailer you bought them from?
Yes, already did this and same result.

Quote:
Do the books you are having trouble with have DRM or are they DRM free?
Ok, I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know how to see this When I bought them, I didn't download the epubs directly but a file with a weird extension that loaded them into ADE, so maybe they have DRM?

Quote:
Have you tried removing the DRM if they came with DRM?
See above

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
rononmaximus

So, after some research, I used Calibre to remove DRM from a book that I bought and didn't work right in my Kobo through ADE and it works now!! So probably something to do with firmware and DRM rights with books bought outside the Kobo store? No idea how that works!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=rononmaximus;2338356]Ok, I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know how to see this When I bought them, I didn't download the epubs directly but a file with a weird extension that loaded them into ADE, so maybe they have DRM?/QUOTE]

Was the file type was .acsm? The local library uses that extension when I'm downloading Adobe epub files. The books are DRMed and also time limited. If I want to read it on a Kobo device, the Kobo needs to be authorized with the same account that ADE is authorized with.

Personally, since every time I do a factory reset, the authorization file gets deleted, I backed up the .adobe-digital-editions folder from the Kobo internal storage which contains two files, one visible called device.xml and the other a hidden file called activation.xml. Copying the activation.xml file back to the Kobo after a reset saves me running out of activations and having to call Adobe to beg for more.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote