Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
To have all the choice that you want fontwise, just open your book with FBReader (if it's not DRMed) To do that, choose a book, hold ok till a menu pops up then open with- FBReader. Ther e you have all the sizes you'll ever gonna want. I think there is oly a small chance that we will have all those choices on the Adobe viewer as it is not easy to tweak!
I did test FBReader and it does have more font sizes than I thought but the formatting is sorely lacking so I've been using the Adobe viewer. I also noticed that with FBReader, I lose font formatting. It's hard to tell when a new chapter begins because there is no variation in the font style, there is no italics, etc. I still think Calibre's font scaling will help with the Adobe viewer's oversized font.

Last edited by Katelyn; 12-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
I have been using one of the pb360's I brought and its great, the second one was the xmas pressie for partner and this is the unit I had the initial issue with not turning on.

The same issue is still there, when it is left for a period and you switch it on just a green light shows and nothing else, when you connect it to the usb the light changes to red but again no screen, I have tried the reset when connected and not connected and no joy, I charged it again(even though it hasn't been used) and still no joy initially, then it came on an hour later, the battery had not been deleted once since the initial charge as the date/time is correct.

I have just updated the fbreader on my device and went to do it on my partners and again the same won't turn on issue.

I am interacting with both devices the same and I'm glad I have two pb360's as the one that works correctly is great, but there seems to be a problem with the second one, any ideas or anyone experienced similar.
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I did test FBReader and it does have more font sizes than I thought but the formatting is sorely lacking so I've been using the Adobe viewer. I also noticed that with FBReader, I lose font formatting. It's hard to tell when a new chapter begins because there is no variation in the font style, there is no italics, etc. I still think Calibre's font scaling will help with the Adobe viewer's oversized font.
Well, italics should be there! Font scaling: Of course, you can scale your fonts with Calibre.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebiumn View Post
I have been using one of the pb360's I brought and its great, the second one was the xmas pressie for partner and this is the unit I had the initial issue with not turning on.

The same issue is still there, when it is left for a period and you switch it on just a green light shows and nothing else, when you connect it to the usb the light changes to red but again no screen, I have tried the reset when connected and not connected and no joy, I charged it again(even though it hasn't been used) and still no joy initially, then it came on an hour later, the battery had not been deleted once since the initial charge as the date/time is correct.

I have just updated the fbreader on my device and went to do it on my partners and again the same won't turn on issue.

I am interacting with both devices the same and I'm glad I have two pb360's as the one that works correctly is great, but there seems to be a problem with the second one, any ideas or anyone experienced similar.
Sounds like there is a real problem. There is still a (slim) chance that your spare 360° might not be loaded enough. Please let it charge for a whole night: 8 hours or so, and then see if this still happens.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Its not really spare its for my better half, and it was left connected to the usb for a few days before xmas for its initial charge while i was working on getting the setup and books correct, so there was no issue with switching it on then, its only oncve its disconnected.

now it just has the green light on and i cannot even switch it totally off if i hold the power button for any length of time. pressing the reset button with it disconnected results in the green light going out until i release the reset and then it come back on.

if i connect the unit to the usb the light turns red, and holding the power button for any length of time has no effect. pressing the reset while connected to the usb makes the red light turn more orangy red until i release the reset but no other change.
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Its not really spare its for my better half, and it was left connected to the usb for a few days before xmas for its initial charge while i was working on getting the setup and books correct, so there was no issue with switching it on then, its only oncve its disconnected.

now it just has the green light on and i cannot even switch it totally off if i hold the power button for any length of time. pressing the reset button with it disconnected results in the green light going out until i release the reset and then it come back on.

if i connect the unit to the usb the light turns red, and holding the power button for any length of time has no effect. pressing the reset while connected to the usb makes the red light turn more orangy red until i release the reset but no other change.
Yikes! This one is definitely faulty. Have it repaired or changed.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #22
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Yar - can you comment on what you would like to do, any other tests suggested, or can this be replaced?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #23
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Yar - can you comment on what you would like to do, any other tests suggested, or can this be replaced?
Let me first talk to the service center and try to have a "distant" diagnosis for it.
It'll take us several days, and most probably by Friday I will have a solution. Somehow my gut feeling says that this unit is a lemon and has to be replaced...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Great, I like this level of response on problems, what do you want me to do?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #25
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
So far - nothing, just wait couple of days.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #26
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Oh, please try one thing - did you try to disconnect battery, let the device w/o it for 10-15 minutes and then connect it again?
Normally we do not recommend to do this outside the service center, but this can be the exception.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #27
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Battery disconnected for 15 mins and reconnected. The device is in the same state as previously mentioned, green light which will not switch off, but no screen and red light when connected to usb.

is there any test in a specific order or key press to enter debug mode you want me to try?

the other unit is fine
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #28
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Ebiumn, as the last resort before replacement of the whole device, we can try to diagnose the battery - maybe it's just the battery on the malfunctioning device that needs to be replaced, not the whole reader.
I suggest that you swap batteries between devices and see whether the sane PB works with the suspect battery from the malfunctioning PB and vice-versa - if the sick reader will get well when connected to the good battery.
Please, mark the batteries before swapping!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #29
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

both batteries work fine in good unit, and the bad unit has the same issue with either battery connected
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
mtravellerh
book creator

Yar, just for curiosity's sake: Could you update us about what was wrong with that reader once diagnosed?