Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please say WHY you are nominating a book!

Thanks,
Because they might want to read it. Does the reason Why change anything?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Because they might want to read it. Does the reason Why change anything?

BOb
Yes, it does. It provides an explanation as to why it's worth reading - eg, I've nominated "King Solomon's Mines" because it's a wonderful adventure story. Without knowing the reason that a book has been nominated, there's no way to know why it's worth reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it does. It provides an explanation as to why it's worth reading - eg, I've nominated "King Solomon's Mines" because it's a wonderful adventure story. Without knowing the reason that a book has been nominated, there's no way to know why it's worth reading.
Personally I am nominating books I have yet to read. I nominate it because I want to read it based on the description or the fact that it is a beloved classic that I have yet to read.

So, since I haven't read the book I don't know "why it's worth reading" yet.

BOb
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, Bob, the reason that you are nominating is "because the description makes it sound good" or "because I've always wanted to read it".

Without reasons for the nominations, all we have is an (essentially) random list of titles. I know that I'm far more likely to vote for a book if I have a reason to do so. For examples, someone's nominated a book called "Ramona". I have to admit that I've never heard of it, and I'm not going to vote for it unless someone tells me why I should want to read it!

All just a personal viewpoint, of course.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In that case, Bob, the reason that you are nominating is "because the description makes it sound good" or "because I've always wanted to read it".
Right. I just infer that that is always the "Why" the books are being nominated. If there is another reason the poster usually states it.

BOb
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #36
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Please say WHY you are nominating a book!

Thanks,
Concerning Wuthering Heights, I edited my post to give the reason for the nomination, which is indeed essentially that I want to read it

Quote:
I nominated this book because it is a classic among the classics _and_ lots of people seem to love it, so I want to read it (actually I _did_ read it a long time ago. I remember that I enjoyed it but my memories of the plot are practically inexistant).
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you, chlorine!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Thank you, chlorine!
You're welcome! I'm not sure I gave you any additional motivation for reading the book thoug.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If we get no more seconds, we'll have 7 eBooks to choose from.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #40
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I'd like "King Solomon's Mines" too, I like adventures books, and as the movies were pretty good, I surmise the book will be even greater !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #41
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading
Michizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
A couple of questions from a newbie...

Once the book of the month has been decided upon, where is the title posted?

Once everyone has read the book, where can the book discussion thread be found?

and

When does the discussion thread start? Not until the end of the month (is that the "deadline" for having the book read?) or does the discussion begin immediately after the book is decided upon and everyone discusses AS they read?

Thanks (sorry if these are silly questions)
Michizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michizzle View Post

and

When does the discussion thread start? Not until the end of the month (is that the "deadline" for having the book read?) or does the discussion begin immediately after the book is decided upon and everyone discusses AS they read?

Thanks (sorry if these are silly questions)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=484987 <---ePub

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10241 <---LRF

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=483657 <---FB2

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15033 <---Mobipocket

There you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #43
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Actually, I was going to ask some of the same "ground rules" type of questions. I've never participated in an online book club, but I figure that it will be interesting because the mobileread.com crowd is so well-read and lively. The June adventure book sounds great - and I really appreciate the selection of a public-domain book (probably couldn't get it otherwise).

Is there a general rules or explanation thread - or do I just observe for awhile and then jump in?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

If you enter the Reading Recomendations section and filter using the Book Club prefix you can see all the Nomination/Vote/Discussions threads easily.

There is also a Book Club community section where I post the books for each month with links to the treads. I think it hasn't been updated for this last month yet.

Quote:
The discussion is opened the last week of the month. But, just don't enter the thread until you have read the book because there can/will be spoilers.

Also, if you filter on the Book Club pre-fix you will find the "Official Welcome Thread" which explains how we are working things. I do plan to update the first post in that thread soon since we have "tweeked" the club a bit since that message was created.

BOb
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #45
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading
Michizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Thanks for the info JSWolf and Bob!
Michizzle is offline   Reply With Quote