Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Moon+ and slow/multiple page turns

I see some weird page turn problems when I'm reading in Moon+ Reader Pro. Sometimes, it takes a second or more to turn the page, and sometimes it will turn multiple pages at once. A good portion of the time it seems like it happens at the ends of chapters (or at the end of an individual HTML file in the EPUB), but some times it is in the middle of a chapter/file.

I have a 2013 Nexus 7, and I know that some people have reported problems with missed and/or phantom touches, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm seeing problems with the device, with Moon, with the combination of the two, or something else. If anyone has any feedback on what they have seen or have not seen along these lines, I'd love to hear it.

I really haven't seen these kinds of problems with other apps. Google Play Books seems to turn pages reliably and smoothly, and I haven't noticed that particular problem in any other readers, so I feel like it is at least partially Moon-related.

In some ways, I think I'm babied by my iPad. I've used Marvin for quite a while and love it, but I also like the smaller form factor of the Nexus 7. Moon+ comes the closest to the features that I love about Marvin compared to other Android apps, but when I'm reading along and get transported out of the book and into a tablet functionality session, it subtracts from the overall reading experience.

The variety of reader apps on Android is nice, but each one seems to stumble in one way or another. Whether it is speed problems, lack of a way to interact with my calibre library's OPDS feed, hair-trigger brightness and font size gestures that you can't disable in the lite versions, opaque synchronization mechanisms, or lack of font expansion capability, each of them seems good in some ways but bad in others.

For the moment I've switched back to my iPad for reading, and am working very hard to resist the temptation to get an iPad Mini so I have Marvin on a slightly smaller tablet form factor. I really can't justify that particular cost!
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
The only time I notice slow page turns is at the end of a chapter, and then it always takes a second to turn the page, and the android button light on the bottom always come on and go off at the same time.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post
I see some weird page turn problems when I'm reading in Moon+ Reader Pro. Sometimes, it takes a second or more to turn the page, and sometimes it will turn multiple pages at once. A good portion of the time it seems like it happens at the ends of chapters (or at the end of an individual HTML file in the EPUB), but some times it is in the middle of a chapter/file.

I have a 2013 Nexus 7, and I know that some people have reported problems with missed and/or phantom touches, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm seeing problems with the device, with Moon, with the combination of the two, or something else. If anyone has any feedback on what they have seen or have not seen along these lines, I'd love to hear it.
It's the tap zone that is the problem. Sometimes my hand slips up and any long press on the tap zone turns pages quickly. There is no fix for this. It's not really the app but the little bezel on the tablet. If you disable tapping and only use swiping that may work but swiping on Moon+ is a bit hard to do one handed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote