Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
New Galaxy Tab 10" Slate is thinner, lighter than iPad 2

From Wired:

Quote:
This upgrade to the cheap-feeling Tab 10.1 we saw at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, measures in at 256.6 x 172.9 x 8.6 mm and weighs 595g. Compare that to the iPad 2, at 241.2 x 185.7 x 8.8 mm and 601 g for the Wi-Fi only model.

The new tablet, announced at the CTIA show in Orlando, Florida, also has a 1280 x 800 multi-touch display, a 1GHz dual core processor, stereo speakers, Flash support (note — like the previous Tab 10.1 it appears to come without Flash pre-installed) and a new TouchWiz UI built on top of Android 3.0 Honeycomb. It also has a 3MP camera at the back, and a 2MP up front.

Price wise, Samsung has got this one dead right, making it the exact same price as the iPad: $500 for the 16GB Wi-Fi only model, and $600 for the 32GB Wi-Fi version. The smaller Tab 8.9 will cost $470 and $570 for the same capacities.

And none of this will matter.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...r-than-ipad-2/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
if i can only get over the fact that samsung shows poor support for it's products i'd be more excited.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I was burned once.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
if i can only get over the fact that samsung shows poor support for it's products i'd be more excited.
that's the reason I will most likely get the Xoom. Running Stock Honeycomb and have more faith in Moto to run timely updates. But this is a very very compelling option, if Samsung puts on a gorgous screen, which I would be shocked if they didn't.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
loving the 8.9. if only they will leave the calling features enabled in the US....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
whats with wired "and none of this will matter"

it certainly matters. they will sell a ton of these. of course wired quantifies its remark with " in meaningful numbers" of course meaningful to them is only if it sells more than the iPad. meanwhile sammy will sell millions and make a profit on them.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-22-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
whats with wired "and none of this will matter"

it certainly matters. they will sell a ton of these. of course wired quantifies its remark with " in meaningful numbers" of course meaningful to them is only if it sells more than the iPad. meanwhile sammy will sell millions and make a profit on them.
I'm not so sure that they will "sell a ton of these". It is my opinion that both Samsung and Motorola did themselves irreparable harm by initially releasing tablet offerings that were tied to cell data plans on contract.

Those who WERE interested took a look at the competitively priced (compared to the iPad) Galaxy Tab only to discover that the price required a 2 year cell contract.

Samsung will have to work harder to get the word out that these new prices don't require a contract. I also believe that Samsung and Motorola's approach in releasing their first tablets had a backdraft effect causing an increase in iPad sales.

I still believe that the dark horse to watch is Barnes and Noble. If they release a firmware upgrade that "unlocks" the tablet functionality and open their app store (that they had previous hinted at)... suddenly that $250 nook color becomes a major player.

Barnes and Noble has been rumored to have a firmware upgrade this week for the nook color. Is the timing of Microsoft's lawsuit simply coincidental?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
As long as these are indeed sold without some kind of contract, I'll look closer at them. The price seems about right. And, for an iProduct alternative, it sounds somewhat promising.

Also looks pretty good, to boot.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Those who WERE interested took a look at the competitively priced (compared to the iPad) Galaxy Tab only to discover that the price required a 2 year cell contract.
Mine was "competitively priced" at $399, and did NOT require a two year contract, it's on a month to month plan that I can cancel at any time. The cost of the plan is such that I'll probably keep it, but I don't have to.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I still believe that the dark horse to watch is Barnes and Noble. If they release a firmware upgrade that "unlocks" the tablet functionality and open their app store (that they had previous hinted at)... suddenly that $250 nook color becomes a major player.
While the NC is attractive, and can very easily be rooted to give full Android (HoneyComb) and Android Marketplace, it still lacks advanced features like GPS, available 3G, motion sensor, etc.

I though hard about one before buying my SGT, but when the price dropped to <$400, I decided that the extra $150 more than bought the extra features.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
While the NC is attractive, and can very easily be rooted to give full Android (HoneyComb) and Android Marketplace, it still lacks advanced features like GPS, available 3G, motion sensor, etc.

I though hard about one before buying my SGT, but when the price dropped to <$400, I decided that the extra $150 more than bought the extra features.
It's wonderful to have options. For me, GPS, 3G, and cameras make no sense in a device as large as a tablet. The only possible exception might be a FFC for video chats; but I doubt I'd ever use the feature, since I don't use it on my netbook or desktop.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate

You might be right for a 10" tablet as it's too large to conveniently carry around, but my 7” SGT fits nicely in my front trousers pocket, and is always with me. I use the GPS often, and it’s even large enough to actually see the maps whilst driving, and the RFC camera coupled with EverNote is a joy for comparison shopping.

Yes I know, I could do all of that on my Android phone, but I have found that I relegate my EVO 4G to being, well, a phone since getting my SGT.

And did I mention, it’s pretty much my exclusive ereader now.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You might be right for a 10" tablet as it's too large to conveniently carry around, but my 7” SGT fits nicely in my front trousers pocket, and is always with me. I use the GPS often, and it’s even large enough to actually see the maps whilst driving, and the RFC camera coupled with EverNote is a joy for comparison shopping.
4.3" would be the max size I'd want cams, GPS, and a compass on. Would love to see an AF cam, GPS, and compass on the iPod touch; but I doubt Apple will go that route. They're obsessed with thin.

I can almost do all of the things I want to do on my touch. I'm anxious to see what Samsung is going to charge for their Galaxy Player. If the price is right, I'll get the 4" version and get rid of my iDevice.

My Nook Color is primarily a media player and net device. I'd never walk around with it. It's way too big. That's what my iPod touch is for.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes I know, I could do all of that on my Android phone, but I have found that I relegate my EVO 4G to being, well, a phone since getting my SGT.
I almost sprang for the HTC Thunderbolt last week, but Verizon placed too hurdles in my way so I canceled my order. Figured the FSM was telling me something.

Probably just as well. With the money I'm saving by not being forced into a data plan, I'll have enough to buy a new iPod touch each year.

Would prefer an Android device, but they're not here yet.