Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #61
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Although most of the humor in these books is subtle (and in the form of sarcasm/irony), I do remember one laugh-out-loud moment (at least for me) in Bad Luck and Trouble. It involved Reacher and his toothbrush, but you'd have to have read more than just a couple of the books to understand the significance of the one-liner.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #62
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
You're way ahead of me. I just started Running Blind this morning. I've read the last 2 books back to back. I was also going to read something different but couldn't think of anything but Jack Reacher. All have been great so far.
Are you trying to read them in order? The reason I ask is because I used a list I found online and stuck to it (Running Blind is listed as book #5). The Affair (on my list order) is book #16 (arghhhh!!!) but after reading it, I realized it was a prequel to the entire series and should have been read first!

I should have investigated more reading order lists!

I'm about halfway through book #17, A Wanted Man. Pretty good, so far, but I so wish I'd read it as a follow-up to Worth Dying For.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #63
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Are you trying to read them in order? The reason I ask is because I used a list I found online and stuck to it (Running Blind is listed as book #5). The Affair (on my list order) is book #16 (arghhhh!!!) but after reading it, I realized it was a prequel to the entire series and should have been read first!

I'm about halfway through book #17, A Wanted Man. Pretty good, so far, but I so wish I'd read it as a follow-up to Worth Dying For.
My feeling has always been that series are best read in publication order, so prequels should be read after the books that follow them in the series' timeline but preceded them in publication.

The author will have been aware that the earlier books will already have been read by many and will write accordingly. Quite often much of the point of a prequel is casting light on later events and characters the reader has already read about.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #64
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I had a list from some website, but I've been going by Amazon's numbering. I had Echo Burning as the 4th book but Amazon had Running Blind as the fourth so I went by that. I had no idea there was a prequel. Now I'm wondering if I should read that next instead of continuing with Echo Burning . Decisions, decisions...
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #65
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
My feeling has always been that series are best read in publication order, so prequels should be read after the books that follow them in the series' timeline but preceded them in publication.

The author will have been aware that the earlier books will already have been read by many and will write accordingly. Quite often much of the point of a prequel is casting light on later events and characters the reader has already read about.
Normally, I'd agree, but in this case The Affair, published 16th, deals with an event often mentioned throughout the series and not only explains in great detail how that came about, but sets the stage for all that comes later.

Not only that, but the first page of book #17, A Wanted Man, picks up on the same day that Worth Dying For (book #15) ends and would be perfect as back-to-back novels.

The actual prequel is listed as book #8, The Enemy, and some suggest that as a beginning. Of course, any of the novels can be read as stand-alones, but if one enjoys a series in strict chronological order, this would be my list:

The Affair, The Enemy, Killing Floor, Die Trying, Tripwire, Running Blind, Echo Burning, Without Fail, Persuader, One Shot, The Hard Way, Bad Luck and Trouble, Nothing to Lose, Gone Tomorrow, 61 Hours, Worth Dying For, A Wanted Man.

Finished the last in the series, A Wanted Man, last night. It's rumored that book 18, Never Go Back, will debut in September, 2013.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Normally, I'd agree, but in this case The Affair, published 16th, deals with an event often mentioned throughout the series and not only explains in great detail how that came about, but sets the stage for all that comes later.

Not only that, but the first page of book #17, A Wanted Man, picks up on the same day that Worth Dying For (book #15) ends and would be perfect as back-to-back novels.

The actual prequel is listed as book #8, The Enemy, and some suggest that as a beginning. Of course, any of the novels can be read as stand-alones, but if one enjoys a series in strict chronological order, this would be my list:

The Affair, The Enemy, Killing Floor, Die Trying, Tripwire, Running Blind, Echo Burning, Without Fail, Persuader, One Shot, The Hard Way, Bad Luck and Trouble, Nothing to Lose, Gone Tomorrow, 61 Hours, Worth Dying For, A Wanted Man.

Finished the last in the series, A Wanted Man, last night. It's rumored that book 18, Never Go Back, will debut in September, 2013.
I went to Amazon and looked at the description for The Enemy and The Affair. The Enemy takes place in 1990 and The Affair takes place in 1997, shouldn't I read The Enemy first? Since it takes place at an earlier time.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #67
DianNC
Banned

Right, The Enemy is the true prequel -- I assume since it's the only book in the series in which Reacher is still serving (rank, Major, Army MP). The others are all mystery/suspense novels dealing with his life subsequent to his having left the military and his adventures therein.

However, The Affair tells the story of the particular events that led to his leaving the military and since that's mentioned so often in all of the novels, the full story of how it happened is beneficial to the reader (IMO).

You're probably right, though. If I was just starting the series, I guess I'd probably read The Enemy first and then The Affair.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #68
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Right, The Enemy is the true prequel -- I assume since it's the only book in the series in which Reacher is still serving (rank, Major, Army MP). The others are all mystery/suspense novels dealing with his life subsequent to his having left the military and his adventures therein.

However, The Affair tells the story of the particular events that led to his leaving the military and since that's mentioned so often in all of the novels, the full story of how it happened is beneficial to the reader (IMO).

You're probably right, though. If I was just starting the series, I guess I'd probably read The Enemy first and then The Affair.
Great, thank you! I'm already 4 books in but definitely going to read those 2 before continuing with the rest.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
DianNC
Banned

Just be sure to read the last two books (Worth Dying For and A Wanted Man) back-to-back. It's rewarding. And funny...watching him go from the frying pan into the fire
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #70
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I would read them in publication order. That's the order they were written in, and I think the prequel/flashback books work better in publication order, too, since they illuminate what you may have been wondering about. The prequels were written to be read in publication order; you won't "miss" anything by reading them in the order they were written.

You wouldn't watch Star Wars by beginning with the prequels, would you?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #71
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I would read them in publication order. That's the order they were written in, and I think the prequel/flashback books work better in publication order, too, since they illuminate what you may have been wondering about. The prequels were written to be read in publication order; you won't "miss" anything by reading them in the order they were written.

You wouldn't watch Star Wars by beginning with the prequels, would you?
Agreed, I also suggest reading them in publication order, that's what I did.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #72
DianNC
Banned

Found a great resource that has reading order lists for books by either author or character. I'm guessing a lot here already know about it, but since it's new to me, thought I'd share.

Stop, You're Killing me! A website to die for ... if you love mysteries!

Cute name, huh?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #73
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like fantasticfiction.co.uk for evaluating series order. The Lee Child official website recommends to read them in published order as they believe The Enemy has more emotional impact after you know Reacher a little. My preference is typically published order.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #74
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Reviving this old thread because I finally saw the movie. I thought it portrayed the Reacher world rather well, and moved along enjoyably. Tom Cruise was good in the part although not at all like the Reacher who lives in my head.

Can't wait for the next book, so I will take a look at the suggested reading orders and start all over. I'm pretty sure this is a series I will enjoy even more the second time through.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote