Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Samsung anounces Galaxy Player 4"/5" or for us a 4"/5" eReader :)

Samsung announces Galaxy Player 4” and Galaxy Player 5” for US.

While Samsung is positioning these devices head on with the iPod Touch I see these are great eReader alternatives. There are some excellent eReading software now on the Android platform (Moon+, Aldiko, Kindle, RepliGo, ezPDF) to read almost any format thrown you way.

The question is what is the price?

Quote:
Samsung today announced its 2011 product lineup for the US market and along with it came the confirmation for Galaxy Player 4” and Galaxy Player 5”. Both these PMPs were officially unveiled at MWC as Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 and Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 and will make its way out in United States in coming months.
Feature list

Galaxy S WiFi 4.0
Quote:
features a 1GHz processor, 4-inch Super Clear TFT display, Android 2.2 OS, GPS, 3.2MP rear camera with front-facing VGA, 720p HD playback, H.264/DivX/Xvid/WMV video and MP3/WMA/OGG/FLAC/AAC audio support, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, 8/16/32GB storage option with an option to expand to 32GB more via microSD card, FM Radio, voice recorder, Android Market access and 1200mAh battery.
Galaxy S WiFi 5.0

Quote:
Sports a different design along with a little variation of specs. This PMP also runs on Android 2.2 OS and features a 5-inch WVGA TFT LCD (apparently, does not have Super Clear LCD), 1GHz CPU, 3.2MP camera with LED flash (Update: Engadget says WiFi 5.0 has 5MP camera) and VGA camera at the front, Android market, FM Radio, voice recorder, accelerometer, digital compass, GPS, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0, 8 or 16GB internal storage, microSD card slot and a huge 2500mAh battery.
Source links
http://www.samsunghub.com/2011/03/16...ayer-5-for-us/

http://www.samsunghub.com/2011/02/14...wifi-5-0-pmps/
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I was wondering when more info on these would be finally released. I hope that the price isn't too high for them, as I'd like to own the 5" one without having to sell a kidney.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Looks like a smaller version of the WiFi Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The OS vesion says "Upgradable to Gigngerbread", with Samsung's history of providing upgrades, I wouldn't hold my breath.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

The OS vesion says "Upgradable to Gigngerbread", with Samsung's history of providing upgrades, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Heh, that was my sentiments exactly. The saving grace is the dev community has great support for Samsung devices. I'm sporting the Nero ROM on my Vibrant and find it's way better than what came with the Vibrant.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

The Samsung update problem I think is more because of carriers and over the air updates as these won't have anything to do with carriers I expect them to have faster updates than the US phones.
International galaxy s users are likely to get gingerbread this month so you might even see these come out with gingerbread.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The question is what is the price?
If Samsung doesn't price these to compete with the iPod touch, they won't sell.

I for one am looking forward to these. The touch needs some serious competition.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote