Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

booting time

hi all , anyone here knows how much time will it take the sony reader to boot ?
i can't find it here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't think anyone has made that public yet. There's one device in the wild that we know about (Make Magazine has one). And it has been demoed in early versions, for example to CNet. But nothing about boot time.

Given that nobody has talked about boot time, I wonder if another question might not be even more interesting... which of these devices can you generally read on without having to boot very often at all? I mean you can use your microwave without having to reboot it. We're so used to PC's and pdas that we think we're always going to be rebooting, but maybe some of the new book readers won't require that.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Rebooting is only needed due to flaws in the software.

A PC with perfect software would never need to be rebooted.

All that rebooting does is to reset the memory to zeroes, and reload the operating system.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

bob i agree with u totally specially that the early reports were sayin that u can keep your ereader device switched on for years without consuming any power and now the iliad can't survive even for 9 hours !?( 8.5 hours is the new battery life after uprading to the latest fw ) .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
the thing is, the e-ink display will hold its content until it is updated. But the computer that drives it, will need power. And the iLiad currently implements very little to no power-management. (CPU always on max frequency, no standby/suspend to ram, etc.)
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I, for one, am hoping that somebody can figure out how to do some sort of power management properly! Is it really so very much to ask?

iRex apparently hasn't figured it out yet, we've had no word at all on HanLin for a while, we're all waiting impatiently for the Sony -- they've been doing hardware for a long time, maybe they'll be the ones to get the power saving right. I sure hope someone does ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
And the iLiad currently implements very little to no power-management. (CPU always on max frequency, no standby/suspend to ram, etc.)
It sounds like you don't get very much for your many hundreds of dollars.

Even a $79 PDA will turn off the CPU and display after a pre-selected number of minutes. And an e-ink display doesn't need to be turned off, so only the CPU needs to be managed.

Generally, any poor choices in a Sony device are made in the marketing department, not in the engineering department...

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 09-17-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I still hope they will fix it with v2.7, cause I would take that this month would have been the planned release date. They were begged to sell the device. However, if they don't get it done in the next time, I think a lot of people will get angry at them, even those who begged to buy a iLiad.

For the iLiad it's not only the CPU to be managed, one of iRex staff mentioned in their forum, that there is some problem concerning power-management and the wacom input device. Something like, if they step down the CPU to the 33MHz minimum, the screen would not be able to re-activate.

And I still hope iRex will get their source sortet out in the next time, so some developers interested in the iLiad maybe able to make it better.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh

iRex apparently hasn't figured it out yet, we've had no word at all on HanLin for a while, we're all waiting impatiently for the Sony -- they've been doing hardware for a long time, maybe they'll be the ones to get the power saving right.
I've already written here for several times - lBook/Hanlin V8 has perfect power management. I can't say exactly how long it can stay in "standby" mode - because I use it every day - but I charge it 1 (seldom 2) times a month. So my wife does.
So, there is no problem to provide good power management...
The only problem, I see, that the Li-Ion battery looses some power itself after several days... But it is not a problem of the device, but of the battery technology...

BTW, as I know, old Sony Librie has no poblems with power management too.

Last edited by TaKir; 09-18-2006 at 03:16 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
yes TaKir, the V8 seems to do a good job there. The V2 seems to have the same problems the Iliad has however...maybe it's not so easy to implement when you are using Linux?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
yes TaKir, the V8 seems to do a good job there. The V2 seems to have the same problems the Iliad has however...maybe it's not so easy to implement when you are using Linux?
I'm seriously thinking, they use the same team of programmers
Because the problems of Irex and V2 seems to be absolutely identical
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
iRex apparently hasn't figured it out yet, we've had no word at all on HanLin for a while, we're all waiting impatiently for the Sony -- they've been doing hardware for a long time, maybe they'll be the ones to get the power saving right.
I've already written here for several times - lBook/Hanlin V8 has perfect power management. I can't say exactly how long it can stay in "standby" mode - because I use it every day - but I charge it 1 (seldom 2) times a month. So my wife does.
So, there is no problem to provide good power management...
The only problem, I see, that the Li-Ion battery looses some power itself after several days... But it is not a problem of the device, but of the battery technology...

BTW, as I know, old Sony Librie has no poblems with power management too.
I stand corrected, TaKir, thanks for straightening me out.

I guess the V8 and Librié examples bode well for the V2 and Sony Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote