Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
RIP my beloved 505

So this is what happens when you lend your first reader to your significant other to take on the road. My poor, poor reader. The screen is so broken that I can only tell it's powering up by a sliver of flash on the right edge of the screen. So I'm wondering... should I replace my beloved 505 or should I get a second 600 or 700 for my beau? Decisions... decisions....
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just out of curiosity, what happened to it? Seems like a tease when there isn't a conclusion to the story.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Noooo!

Given your beau broke it, they should buy you a replacement, and get themselves one so they never have to borrow yours again (with the risk they'll break it)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Replace the 505. Dump the boyfriend.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Seconded!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Thirded! (Side note: I've had a 500 for almost 3 years, a 505 for about 2, and a 300 for 1.5 months, all are used regularly, and all are still in fine shape! Not sure if I'm available tho. )

I'd go for a 505 ($200 at Target if you can find one) or even a 300 if he's that careless. The 300 is a bit smaller and sturdier, may resist abuse a bit better. But, he should get a new Reader for you!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
+1

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Just out of curiosity, what happened to it? Seems like a tease when there isn't a conclusion to the story.
I'm not really sure. I took it out of his laptop bag to use it and that's when I noticed it. I left it in there for a couple days just to see what his reaction would be but he hasn't much down time to read so he didn't know. When I asked him what he was reading, it was clear that he hadn't used it in a few days.

The laptop bag is a soft case that goes into a bigger rolling laptop bag. He's pretty careful with it because his laptop is in there, but I think that it was leaning against something and possibly the power supply, but more likely, based on the indentation on the cover, the hard case for his sunglasses just happened to move to a spot that may have pressed onto the screen. It may have been just the pressure from zipping it up and stuff moving about that did it. Ironically, I bought him the sunglasses and case for his birthday just a few months ago. I guess it's good to know something I bought still has great protection.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Given your beau broke it, they should buy you a replacement, and get themselves one so they never have to borrow yours again (with the risk they'll break it)

That's a given since he knows how much I love all of my readers. The funny thing is after he realized that it was broken he asked, "Which reader should I take to work tomorrow because I'm pretty sure I'll have some down time and be able to read?" The funniest part? He was totally serious!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Seconded!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Thirded! (Side note: I've had a 500 for almost 3 years, a 505 for about 2, and a 300 for 1.5 months, all are used regularly, and all are still in fine shape! Not sure if I'm available tho. )

I let him know that the census is in and everyone on the board thinks I should dump him. He didn't have too much to say after that! Too bad you're not available DrMoze. I've been trying to find a boyfriend who'll treat my readers as well as I do. Hmmm..... not sure what to do with this one. I guess he'll need a little more training. And they told me he was Reader trained. Darn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I'd go for a 505 ($200 at Target if you can find one) or even a 300 if he's that careless. The 300 is a bit smaller and sturdier, may resist abuse a bit better. But, he should get a new Reader for you!

I was just at Target and the 505 was $279. I was surprised by that; and no new units at all. Weird.

Last edited by SolRaven; 10-15-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Sorry to hear about that . Did you have the default sony cover on or was it some other cover?
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Sorry to hear about that . Did you have the default sony cover on or was it some other cover?
I had the cover with light wedge on. Ironically, I was just thinking how great it is that Sony's readers are aluminum because it offers better protection from the screen getting bent. This was a case of pressure up against the front of the case and it probably just pushed the wedge in with steady pressure.

You know... I've been wanting a sangria red 505 ever since I saw it in the Sony store, which was after I had purchased my blue one online. I wonder if my subconscious was at play here.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
when you buy a new one - buy the insurance against exidental break - it's only $59 for two years but if something like that happens again - they will repair the reader or give you a new one for free

just my 2 ct

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I had the cover with light wedge on. Ironically, I was just thinking how great it is that Sony's readers are aluminum because it offers better protection from the screen getting bent. This was a case of pressure up against the front of the case and it probably just pushed the wedge in with steady pressure.

You know... I've been wanting a sangria red 505 ever since I saw it in the Sony store, which was after I had purchased my blue one online. I wonder if my subconscious was at play here.
Well, make sure he knows that's the one you want when he goes to replace the one that he broke.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I don't know when you got your 505, when I purchased my device there was not many choices for ereaders.

Now there are a lot of devices out there with different prices points and features. You might want to do a little research before you purchase an new PRS.

In particular I really like the Astek Pro for the same price point of the 300 you get a lot more features, and 8 different colors to choose from.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I guess my old rule about not lending people books applies to ebook reading devices.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote