Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Kindle browser to read html files

Is there any way to use the Kindle browser to directly read an html file transfered onto the Kindle? I have been trying all morning but do not know the file structure to direct the browser to look for the html file I transfered on to it. It seems like it should work. Anybody tech savvy know how the file paths work on the Kindle (e.g. a:, b:, c: , hda, etc.)
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm. I wonder, if you put the file directly on the kindle (not on an SD card) maybe you could use the browser to look for file://name.html

But it might take more than that
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
l1n1234
Enthusiast

That has not worked yet. As I am trying to enter different permutations I frequently get the message "HTTP ERROR:403 Forbidden+for+Client" I guess Amazon may have disabled the browser from loading html files on the Kindle. Maybe Igorsk can figure it out?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
My guess is that the browser won't display a local file. However, I think your file is in the userstore partition, which is probably /mnt/us or perhaps /mnt/dc/us (don't forget this is Linux, not Windows). I base this on Igor's Reversing Everything blogs, which include a dump of the filesystem and the statement
Quote:
Then there is a userstore partition, which is visible as mass storage drive over USB.
Similarly a SD card is probably at /mnt/mmc.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I remember reading somewhere that someone was able to read a HTML file by renaming it to TXT. Maybe you should try that.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I remember reading somewhere that someone was able to read a HTML file by renaming it to TXT. Maybe you should try that.
For plain html files without a lot of style sheets or graphics that seems to work very well. I haven't tried it with anything really complicated, but for what I read it works.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
l1n1234
Enthusiast

How do I direct the browser to look for the file on the Kindle. What is the file path?

htttp://mnt/us/name.txt ? doesn't seem to work

Also should the file be in the root or in the documents folder?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
How do I direct the browser to look for the file on the Kindle. What is the file path?

htttp://mnt/us/name.txt ? doesn't seem to work

Also should the file be in the root or in the documents folder?
Just drop the TXT file into your Kindle Documents folder and it will show up as a new document on your Kindle's home page. It will be treated like any other document. Click on it to read as you would a book, no need for the browser.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Thanks it works great. I just renamed html to txt and put it into the documents folder and the Kindle recognized it without problem. The file I used didn't have graphics but it maintained the formatting very well. Just another option if you want something with formatting more than plain text and did not feel like converting to mobi or prc.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've sent plenty html books to Amazon for converting, works great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
l1n1234
Enthusiast

If the html does not have lots of graphics you might not even need to send to Amazon for converting. Just rename the file to txt and the Kindle will recognize it without conversion.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
JoshuaA
JoshuaA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This can be done on the Kindle 2. If the html file were in your documents folder, the following can be entered in the browser to open the file:

file:////mnt/us/documents/filename.html

Note: This doesn't work in Kindle 1. The browser doesn't recognize file://
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaA View Post
This can be done on the Kindle 2.
That is good to know. Do internal links to other local HTML pages also work? Presumably, the way to use this is to put each set of HTML's and images in its own directory.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Think there's one too many '/'s there; file:///mnt/us works for me. Haven't tried links but assume you can just use a relative path.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
e2c
e2c began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
That is good to know. Do internal links to other local HTML pages also work? Presumably, the way to use this is to put each set of HTML's and images in its own directory.
Re. the K2, I was wondering the same thing - also, does anyone have any recs for software that can join (concatenate) multiple HTML files? (I'm sure there are recs here somewhere, but so far, I haven't turned up anything that's not in tech-speak... )

Edited to add: I have Calibre installed, but haven't yet experimented with attempting to join HTML files into a single file. I find the program to be a bit less intuitive than the pro edition of Mobipocket Creator - so links to info. on this/help are welcome!

Last edited by e2c; 05-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.
e2c is offline   Reply With Quote