Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Possibly borked Kobo

Hi there,

So I've been having an issue for a bit. I've gotten in contact with customer support but I thought I'd also ask this forum to see if anyone can also offer suggestions.

The situation:

When I first got my Kobo, I wasn't able to connect to my wifi network. After a few firmware updates this was solved. Until about mid-march when my kobo touch forgot my network and wouldn't connect anymore. I thought that maybe I had forgotten my password to my network. So I attempted to log in with another device and was successful. I kept trying with my touch and always ran into an error. I brought my touch to a friend's house and was successful there. When I brought it back home, I tried again and was successful.

However, a week later, it forgot the network and would not connect again. When the recent update came out I thought I would sync it to my computer and try again. It wouldn't sync to my computer. I had borrowed a phone that had the ability to become a wifi hotspot, set it to open, and managed to update the Kobo. I still couldn't connect to my wifi network.

So I did a factory reset. When I hooked it up to my computer to start from scratch, it couldn't complete the setup saying that my computer had dropped my internet connection. This despite the fact that my computer is physically connected to the router and that I was browsing the internet at the time. Attempting to sync via the wifi hotspot would download the covers of the books but if you opened them, there was nothing in them.

So to summarize, I STILL can't connect to my network, I can't sync to my computer and I can't place any content into my kobo touch. The best that it can do is turn on and off.

Your help would be much appreciated.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you share any info on your router; what brand; what firmware; how is the WiFi on the router configured (ie what security settings etc).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Captain_Obvious

Certainly. It's a Cisco Linksys WRT610N ver.2 and it's currently configured with wpa encryption. As for the firmware, unfortunately, that I don't know. Hopefully that won't prove to be a huge issue.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Captain_Obvious

Bumped in the hopes that someone can help me with the situation :-)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
For testing purposes you could try opening up your wireless network or changing the type of encryption it uses. Sometimes you will see incompatibilities between devices and changing the encryption type will fix this. This doesn't explain why it won't work when you are connecting to your computer though. But if you got it to sync using another wifi device this could at least get you going.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I remember some updates in the past I had to MANUALLY add my wifi network instead of scanning and selecting.
When I manually added it it worked and stayed working.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Captain_Obvious

So, I thought I'd give an update to my situation. See, once upon a time, I had taken out a trial subscription to a bunch of newspapers. There was no easy way to delete the issues so they stuck around in my account even after I had unsubscribed to them. I had noticed that the kobo software got stuck on those newspapers. For some reason, it would always try to load those issues. After a few calls to get the people at Kobo to delete the issues from my account, I can now sync and connect to my network without issue.

I thought I'd throw this out there in case this might help anyone else having the same issue. Also, as a further recommendation to the kobo devs, can you make it easier to delete old newspaper issues?

tl;dr Issue is resolved. It was due to corrupted newspapers on my account.