Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Moving Calibre to new PC

Hello, The PC where I had all my books stored died. Before the hard drive gave up the ghost altogether, I was able to store all my books and the Calibre files and folders from the hard drive onto a USB and I've transferred that data over to our other PC now. I've also downloaded Calibre to that PC as I understand that a programme can't just be copied over but that it has to be installed to the Windows registry.

I've put the data from the old hard drive into the same folder where the new install of Calibre is on the PC but my books are not showing up.

Can someone please tell me how I get my old Calibre library to be readable on the new PC?

We are running Windows 7 Ultimate on our PC, in case that's relevant. Please let me know if you need any more information.

thx for any help
Kaetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Start up Calibre and then on the toolbar, press the library button (looks like the Calibre icon and probably has the number of books in your library under it). Then select "Switch/create library...". On the dialog, enter or navigate to the location of your library, choose the "Use the previously..." option and press the OK button. Your old library should open up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Thx.

After I posted I read the FAQ and tried the suggestions there as well. The previous library was just pointing to "my documents". I copied everything from there and pasted into a new folder I called "calibre library". However, when I tried to point Calibre there, I receive an error message saying that there is no Calibre library at that location. What am I doing wrong? Any clues?

Thx
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Did your backup of the library include everything in the calibre library folder? In particular did it include the metadata.db file that is at the top level of the calibre library folder that Calibre uses to store and track metadata?

If that is missing (as sounds like it might be from your post) then you may have to set up a new calibre library and re-add the books.

You also mentioned putting the new library in the same location as the program? If by this you mean put it in the Calibre2 folder under Program Files then you should not do this as under Windows 7 permissions may stop calibre having write access to the library in that location. The library should be somewhere else which has no such access restrictions.

Last edited by itimpi; 02-20-2012 at 02:21 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Kaetrin
Connoisseur

thank you - problem solvered! It's all back now.