Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Reading in Sunlight

I was shocked at how impossible it was to read my screen outdoors. Who doesn't want to read books outside sometimes. What if any are the solutions?
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
I was shocked at how impossible it was to read my screen outdoors. Who doesn't want to read books outside sometimes. What if any are the solutions?
It was never advertised as readable in sunlight. In fact, the screen type is one that's not. There's no way to read in direct sunlight with the Fire.

The only tablet that I know of that should be able to be readable in the sun is the Vox. But there could be others that I am just not aware of that are.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
kdoc
Enthusiast

Sunlight

Well, you're correct, and technically one has nothing to complain about here. BUT let's think about this: here's a Kindle--the main purpose of Kindles has been reading books! People read books outside. And yet it's impossible. So, one either needs to carry around 2 kindles, or return the Fire for an E-Ink one, or keep your old Kindle.

kdoc
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Well, you're correct, and technically one has nothing to complain about here. BUT let's think about this: here's a Kindle--the main purpose of Kindles has been reading books! People read books outside. And yet it's impossible. So, one either needs to carry around 2 kindles, or return the Fire for an E-Ink one, or keep your old Kindle.

kdoc
Android tablets aren't made for outside reading. You need a e-ink reader for that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Have you ever seen an LCD that was truly viewable in sunlight? I haven't. Not iPad, not PDAs, not laptops, not GPS devices, and I seriously doubt the Vox will either. Since it isn't advertised to be viewable in direct sunlight it is moot to get upset about. Return it if that inability bothers you.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I haven't tried at a super sunny beach or outside on a snowy sunny day (the brightest days we could have), but I have been able to read my VOX outside in direct sun. In the same sun I could not read my BB or my sister's ipod. The VOX is a different technology apparently. (not saying the VOX is better, since I'm still thinking of returning my VOX for a Fire)
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Vox uses an AFFS+ screen.

http://www.hydis.com/eng/04_rnd/rnd_ap_01.asp
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Vox is nice but it has Android issues that Amazon has taken care of with their hybrid version. It's also is slower because of the processor is older.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:

kdoc
Yes, the horror, there are some scenarios where the Fire doesn't work. I also can't read my laptop screen in direct sunlight. The reverse is also true. I can't read a paper or e-ink book in low light, but I can read the Fire in low light because it's back-lit.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Yes, the horror, there are some scenarios where the Fire doesn't work. I also can't read my laptop screen in direct sunlight. The reverse is also true. I can't read a paper or e-ink book in low light, but I can read the Fire in low light because it's back-lit.
The solution is to have both an eInk reader and a LCD tablet or more.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The solution is to have both an eInk reader and a LCD tablet or more.
Which is the reason I decided to keep my galaxy tab rather than get a Fire, and upgrade my k2 to the Touch. I get the best of both worlds.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I live in Fl. I don't want to read outside.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
The Mirasol display was supposed to give you full color with 30 fps video with visibility in direct sunlight. The display looks awesome, but it's not visible in low light. I've seen the display side illuminated like an old 80s digital watch.

The other issue was the largest panel was 5.7". The Kyobo eBook reader now uses the Mirasol Display. Check it out:

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/kyobo
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
kdoc
Enthusiast

Reading Outside

Of course, it's true that you can't typically see a backlit LCD in the sunlight--we've all known that. I had hoped that that problem was somehow overcome or mitigated in this "reader" specifically intended for reading Amazon books.

The questions therefore become for all of us: 1. Do we want to carry two Kindle's around (I have an older model, and love it)? 2. Do we sometimes read outside--in a park, beach, picnic, while hiking, waiting for a bus, etc. etc.? And 3). If the Kindle Fire is more a general tablet (competing for the iPad and others) and less for reading, then is this the one we want?

I haven't made a final decision to keep or return it. The touch sensitivity of the screen is very inconsistent and quirky--at times it responds to a light touch, at other times I have to hit it harder and harder to get a response. And it didn't need to be this glossy and reflective--that could have been better controlled--many LCD screens are. The price is certainly right, but that can't be the only criterion. So, we'll just have to see.

One final point, a couple of you seem very defensive about this, as if one needs to protect the good name of the Fire. Look, this is just a forum: it's intended for discussion and constructive criticism, as well as questions, help, etc. That's all that was intended by the original question.

kdoc
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Of course, it's true that you can't typically see a backlit LCD in the sunlight--we've all known that. I had hoped that that problem was somehow overcome or mitigated in this "reader" specifically intended for reading Amazon books.

The questions therefore become for all of us: 1. Do we want to carry two Kindle's around (I have an older model, and love it)? 2. Do we sometimes read outside--in a park, beach, picnic, while hiking, waiting for a bus, etc. etc.? And 3). If the Kindle Fire is more a general tablet (competing for the iPad and others) and less for reading, then is this the one we want?

I haven't made a final decision to keep or return it. The touch sensitivity of the screen is very inconsistent and quirky--at times it responds to a light touch, at other times I have to hit it harder and harder to get a response. And it didn't need to be this glossy and reflective--that could have been better controlled--many LCD screens are. The price is certainly right, but that can't be the only criterion. So, we'll just have to see.

One final point, a couple of you seem very defensive about this, as if one needs to protect the good name of the Fire. Look, this is just a forum: it's intended for discussion and constructive criticism, as well as questions, help, etc. That's all that was intended by the original question.

kdoc
Agree with the glossy part. I bought a anti glare protector to get rid of it. For the price the Kindle Fire is great! We know it's not for everyone if you read outdoors alot you need to get a eInk Kindle instead of the Fire. The Touch or K4 are good choices for portability.