Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #46
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
At least with B&N's system they just put in the unlock code (name + credit card number) and their reading.
How long before someone is able to crack the DRM on B&N epub and extract your CC number? I personally don't like that. Lose your nook and cancel all your credit cards.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema View Post
Since the nook can read formats that do not have DRM, this is exactly how I intend to use it. I have never bought a DRM book in my life nor do I ever intend to. Every e-book I have that does have DRM is borrowed for free from the library. As you can see, I can happily use a nook and not support DRM. The nook isn't the problem, the content purchased is.
True, but why in the world would you buy a nook if that is the only reason/times you will use it? It is designed specifically (as is the Kindle) to work with a specific book supplier.

If all you are reading is non-drm and library books then another device is probably cheaper, better.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
How long before someone is able to crack the DRM on B&N epub and extract your CC number? I personally don't like that. Lose your nook and cancel all your credit cards.
Here we go again.

It DOES NOT STORE YOUR CC NUMBER!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/encryption.htm
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #49
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Books purchased from B&N with DRM have the pdb extension, not the epub extension.
Not true.

They are selling both epub and pdb with encryption. The epub uses the NEW Adobe "Social" DRM to allow for sharing that is only (currently) supported on the nook and B&N reader software.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #50
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Here we go again.

It DOES NOT STORE YOUR CC NUMBER!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/encryption.htm
No it doesn't but given you could take a copy of the DRM-epub, one could by already knowing your name just do a brute-force attack on the file and eventually come up with a number. Thing is everyone knows how many digits are required for a valid CC No.

Its not like the file has an inbuilt authentication system where x-no. of failed attempts locks you out.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunebird View Post
I have been mislead. I have a Sony Reader. My fault for not doing my research. I downloaded a sample from B&N and it opened up no problem on the Sony Reader. So I bought a book and tried opening and I got the DRM message on the Sony Reader. B&N should warn people before they check out that even though the book is epub, It will not work on the Sony Reader. B&N refuses to refund my money, nor take away the DRM. I have legally purchased this book, so I should have the right to read it on the device of my choice.
It's not your fault. it's B&N's fault. Noplace in their eBook listings does it say the eBook is ePub and no place (in the eBooks listing) does it mention the DRM. So B&N is selling you something without giving you all the facts. You download a sample and it's ePub and it works with ADE. So you think the full eBook will be ok and it's not. Have you contacted B&N to get your money back? If they won't do so, go to your credit card company to get your money back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #52
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not your fault. it's B&N's fault. Noplace in their eBook listings does it say the eBook is ePub and no place (in the eBooks listing) does it mention the DRM. So B&N is selling you something without giving you all the facts. You download a sample and it's ePub and it works with ADE. So you think the full eBook will be ok and it's not. Have you contacted B&N to get your money back? If they won't do so, go to your credit card company to get your money back.
I agree, the only way we are going to get full disclosure is by returning and complaining to B&N!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I agree, the only way we are going to get full disclosure is by returning and complaining to B&N!
If people buy ePub from B&N in good faith and find out it doesn't work, then it is B&N's fault for not disclosing all the information needed. The free Star Wars eBook in ePub from B&N that I downloaded had no information at all that it was ePub and what DRM it was using. So if I had paid for it, I would have tried to return it.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would like everyone reading this thread to goto B&N's website (using the link below) and find where in the listing does it mention that the eBook is in ePub and then find where it mentions what DRM is used. The book is [i]The help/i] by Kathryn Stockett.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...2069&inframe=y

The only way I knew it was ePub before purchase was to download the free sample. But because the sample is sans-DRM, it doesn't help with the DRM issue.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #55
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree with you - It is not B&N's fault.

I think they are clear that their e-books can be read on devices that their ereader program runs on (which includes your PC) or their nook. So you can read the book, just not on your sony reader. They have been up front that their support of Epub was with their social DRM that Adobe was making available next year to others.

What you need to do is have sony implement the ereader DRM in an upgrade of Adobe Digital Editions on their readers when it is available next year.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
No it doesn't but given you could take a copy of the DRM-epub, one could by already knowing your name just do a brute-force attack on the file and eventually come up with a number. Thing is everyone knows how many digits are required for a valid CC No.

Its not like the file has an inbuilt authentication system where x-no. of failed attempts locks you out.
There are much better ways to get a valid CC number than brute-forcing an eBook. Anyone wanting to commit identity theft isn't exactly looking for your information, they are looking for someone's information. So they are looking for the easiest way to get a CC# and other information.

Knowledge here about the encryption doesn't lead to a better brute-force attack either, and they'll be missing information most sellers ask for, like billing address, CVV # and expiration date of the card (with the last two being the deal killer, usually). Phishing and attacks on corporate databases are a lot more fruitful for less or equal effort.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I disagree with you - It is not B&N's fault.

I think they are clear that their e-books can be read on devices that their ereader program runs on (which includes your PC) or their nook. ....
Right, but since there are now different and incompatible forms of Adobe DRM they should at least list the type of drm and devices it is compatible with on a FAQ sheet or something.

They should also clearly indicate the format of any book you are looking to purchase.

It's just good customer relations and just pisses people off when it is "hidden."
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
There are much better ways to get a valid CC number than brute-forcing an eBook. Anyone wanting to commit identity theft isn't exactly looking for your information, they are looking for someone's information. So they are looking for the easiest way to get a CC# and other information.

Knowledge here about the encryption doesn't lead to a better brute-force attack either, and they'll be missing information most sellers ask for, like billing address, CVV # and expiration date of the card (with the last two being the deal killer, usually). Phishing and attacks on corporate databases are a lot more fruitful for less or equal effort.
Exactly.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #59
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:

Ok let me explain a really simple concept to you. In the time it would take you to hook your nook up to my computer and transfer the file I could have 100 valid cc numbers with name and signature.

Hackers, theives, and similar disreputable individuals do not go for the hard score unless its a challenge, the pay out is worth it, or they are REALLY freaking bored.

So worrying about this is rather silly and a total waste of time even bringing up.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #60
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Knowledge here about the encryption doesn't lead to a better brute-force attack either, and they'll be missing information most sellers ask for, like billing address, CVV # and expiration date of the card (with the last two being the deal killer, usually).
I would like to add, this DRM (at least on the PDB files, but I'm reasonably sure it's the same for the EPUBs) does not use the entire credit card number. It only uses the last half. If someone were to brute force the credit card number they would only end up with a partial number. The reader applications like B&N Reader ask for the full number but only part of the number is actually needed for the decryption.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote