Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #196
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
It is actually possible to pre-order the Cool-Er right now and it will be shipped (at least for Europe) in two weeks time. That's what the support told me. Can't wait!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #197
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
It is actually possible to pre-order the Cool-Er right now and it will be shipped (at least for Europe) in two weeks time. That's what the support told me. Can't wait!
It can be ordered to be shipped to the UK, but it can't be pre-ordered for the rest of Europe yet. Grrr...
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #198
jessTay
Connoisseur
jessTay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2! YAY
I was pretty impressed at the reply time and also that they are planning to ship to canada. I asked another company about usability and shipping to canada and they didn't even answer about that. And that's better than Amazon which seems to ignore Canada even though its so close.

On the website, it says that they believe people have a choice in where they buy their books, so they don't want their users being confined to their store and encourage people to shop around.. that sounds pretty good and a lot different than amazon and sony.

it'll probably cost like 40 to be shipped here, the same as it would cost to get a Cybook shipped from the US or the UK. 20 bucks in the states isn't so bad depending how long the shipping takes.

Last edited by jessTay; 05-26-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammatical error
jessTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #199
jessTay
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
It can be ordered to be shipped to the UK, but it can't be pre-ordered for the rest of Europe yet. Grrr...
I know I'm jealous too! I want to preorder!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
i have a jetbook by Ectaco Inc btw which is a lesser known eBook reader but out of everything i tried it's by far the best. they send you updates if there are any and can find you any book you want for free and send it to you, thats what i call service!
I'd like you to request the Lord of the Rings trilogy from Ectaco. If they are not lying, they'll get it for you and commit copyright infringement. If they don't get it for you, they are lying. That's not good service as I see it. I'd rather have them tell me only some eBooks are free and most that you may want we don't support since we don't support any DRM.

As for the Cool-er, it may in fact do well in Europe where ePub is popular.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #201
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
And here is Electic Pig's Full Review.

Damn, the stiff click-wheel thing has come up a lot. That's bad for anyone prone to RSI.

And it may not be a Kindle-killer, but they're certain it's a Sony-killer. Interesting.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #202
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I love their impression on the product:

- The audio port for listening to music needs an adapter shoved in first before your own flavoured 3.5mm heapdhones.
(ok it's the same problem with all netronics hardware clone, but for this where there is not the same bezel as others netronics clone, why the jack is still 2.5, it can be 3.5 here without any size problem!

- Secondly, the D-pad is quite tough to depress, and not best placed for your grip.
For the first part, it was what I fear about the photos I see. The second part, I totaly agree, it's the same problem on my Cybook

- That, and it has “We make reading cool” emblazoned on the back - you might want to cover that up.
LOL, the funniest part of the test
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #203
jessTay
Connoisseur

We Make Reading Cool

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! My friends are already making fun of my eReader obsession ("Why do you want something that lets you read electronic BOOKS???") and the "we make reading cool" thing will defeat all possibilities of lameness...as in.. it will become so lame that it's cool!

I know it sounds weird but that's kinda the way it works for uni students up here :P
I love it!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #204
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Gizmodo Review

Gizmodo now has a review up.

Quote:
The Verdict: Cheap in every sense of the word, but usable.

(And as a side note I'd like to see why the reviewer says 'lousy Ecato Jetbook' in passing with a link to dealhack vs. a review or even Ecato itself. I'll assume its a DRM issue.)
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #205
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Gizmodo now has a review up.

(And as a side note I'd like to see why the reviewer says 'lousy Ecato Jetbook' in passing with a link to dealhack vs. a review or even Ecato itself. I'll assume its a DRM issue.)
yes I agree. They have very strange comments about jetBook. I would say
"more affordable Ectaco jetBook"...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #206
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I agree it is a very strange commentary on the device. I would not go so far as to call it a true review. There are some comments which are, well, not sarcasm exactly, but ...ummmm...strange to say the least.

I really did not see much about actually reading on the device. I did like the comments about fit and finish, but even those comments seem very biased as if the writer does not believe a less expensive device can serve as well or better than a $500 device.

There are reasons it might be nice, especially if it can be flashed with other firmware, which will affect the UI.

I would expect this to be on of the first $150ish range devices at retail. The colors and logo are the turn off for me. Hard to tell the colors since most of the photo's are far from well exposed. Still a bit of bondo, some sanding and Krylon can do wonders to the gawd awful logo on the back...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #207
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
uhh

Exactly what else would you use a ebook reader for?

"If it were $199, we'd recommend this to people who just want to read, and don't care about all that extra stuff like touchscreen or downloading books directly to the device before your plane takes off. " http://gizmodo.com/5271551/cool+er-ebook-reader-review

I have to say that I normally use and plan to use my ebook reader to... gasp... read books!

If I want a multifunction device I have a iphone for that, or for surfing the web, I have a lovely desktop computer.

I think that it is nice to be able to listen to mp3's while reading, but that is not required for me. I like the idea of simple reader, no keyboard, I don't need instant net access to download books, while it would be nice. This is probably why I still have my little eb1150.

Though I did notice a mention of calibre in the article. Which is cool.

Is it just me or do some of these reviewers not actually read books on ereaders?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 AM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Is it just me or do some of these reviewers not actually read books on ereaders?

Amy
With many reviewers, "playing with the device" seems to be a far higher priority than assessing how well it actually does its intended function.

Perhaps it's just that there are so few "real" readers around nowadays that it's difficult to find a reviewer who is a "serious" reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #209
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...there are so few "real" readers around nowadays that it's difficult to find a reviewer who is a "serious" reader?
Is it possible to be a "real" reader (as I am a real person who really reads) who is almost never "serious"? I think I might fall into this category of really not very serious, flippant, funny & happy readers.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #210
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With many reviewers, "playing with the device" seems to be a far higher priority than assessing how well it actually does its intended function.

Perhaps it's just that there are so few "real" readers around nowadays that it's difficult to find a reviewer who is a "serious" reader?
Hell, I'd play with the device in a "serious reader" way....If only someone would choose me to test these things!! I'd do it for free.....well, maybe for a free device
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote