Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #121
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Widow/orphan settings and how they are handled in epub I believe. There has been a number of different discussions of it over the years in the Kobo forums.
So am I safe to assume those are the same issues plaguing the Glowlight 3? Maybe the solution is easier than B&N realizes?

I'm out of my depth, I admit.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #122
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So am I safe to assume those are the same issues plaguing the Glowlight 3? Maybe the solution is easier than B&N realizes?

I'm out of my depth, I admit.
Honestly, I'm way out of my depth which is why I didn't expand on my answer.

If IIRC and understand it, the issue at it's core is in the Adobe epub rendering code, and may not be easily be manipulated/changed by the ereader companies. I *think* there were a couple of hacks for Kobo that people were using to try and get around this problem but they had their own potential downsides. I can't say I've ran into it or looked at it closely as I usually use kepubs so I could be wrong on all this . Check the Kobo forum if you want correct details.

What I can say with certainty is that B+N answer that it's because ebooks are designed for a specific number of pages is completely wrong

Last edited by robko; 01-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #123
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
What I can say with certainty is that B+N answer that it's because ebooks are designed for a specific number of pages is completely wrong
Yeah, that part struck me as odd. And I noticed that they only responded to one of the (two) issues I wrote about. I'm not going to write back, and instead hope the person responding really did kick it up the chain (to someone who can do something about it).
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
On the weird paragraph breaks, I seem to remember The eBook Reader complaining about the same thing on various Kobo reviews from a while back. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
There was an issue in RMSDK a few years back where very long paragraphs started breaking at odd points. That bug in RMSDK was swatted but the patch still lives on since it's side effect was disabling widows/orphans effectively setting them to 1 regardless of the CSS settings.

I've attached a rather short test epub to this message. It should have a cover page and a page with a single paragraph. Could someone test it on a GL3 and see if the paragraph gets borked. The CSS sets widows/orphans to 1 so the paragraph should not split. I tested it on 4 Kobo ereaders and a Tolino epos all of which displayed as expected. Thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: epub 4_liner.epub (160.6 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 01-09-2018 at 11:17 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There was an issue in RMSDK a few years back where very long paragraphs started breaking at odd points. That bug in RMSDK was swatted but the patch still lives on since it's side effect was disabling widows/orphans effectively setting them to 1 regardless of the CSS settings.

I've attached a rather short test epub to this message. It should have a cover page and a page with a single paragraph. Could someone test it on a GL3 and see if the paragraph gets borked. The CSS sets widows/orphans to 1 so the paragraph should not split. I tested it on 4 Kobo ereaders and a Tolino epos all of which displayed as expected. Thanks for your help!
I'm off today. I'll check it after the repairmen finish fixing the heater.
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #126
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I tested the book, but am not sure what I was supposed to see. Here are two pics, one justified and one left at auto.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #127
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

I put it on my Glowlight 3 and it looked just fine. I also looked at it in the Calibre reader and it looked the same there.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I tested the book, but am not sure what I was supposed to see. Here are two pics, one justified and one left at auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I put it on my Glowlight 3 and it looked just fine. I also looked at it in the Calibre reader and it looked the same there.

Barry
What you saw was a short paragraph not being split over multiple pages. This came from an earlier message where a short paragraph was being split over two pages (a few lines at the top of one page, a few at the top of the next page.) The test epub has widows/orphans set to 1 and very simple CSS.

See tiltowait's message here for the original: Post 108 in thread .

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-10-2018 at 03:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Depending on the type of reading you are doing, it is more useful to count screens.

I'm not too worried about having to cite pages from The Sonora Noose in a scholarly paper. But if my break is winding down, it is handy to know that 5 pages left = 5 screens of reading.

Both styles are useful. But what is the overwhelming use case for e-books?
Number of screens as the page numbering is not real. nooks uses RMSDK and thus, real (ADE) page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
The kepub renderer also happily rips paragraphs apart. I think it's unique to ePub.
You cannot compare the kepub renderer to RMSDK on the nook. You have to compare RMDSK on the Kobo to RMSDK on the nook and Kobo's RMSDK used to have a long paragraph bug, but that's since been fixed. It now behaves as it should.

However, I prefer to set widows and orphans to 1 so the screen ends in rouchly the same place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #131
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Number of screens as the page numbering is not real. nooks uses RMSDK and thus, real (ADE) page numbers.
I'm not sure that arguing what is 'real' when it comes to displaying ebooks on a screen even means.

But if I have five minutes left on a break, it is a LOT more helpful to know that five pages means five screens as opposed to 5-10 screens.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #132
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot compare the kepub renderer to RMSDK on the nook.
You can if your goal is to show that only RMSDK has a particular behavior, which is what I was doing.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote