Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
LindaJ
LindaJ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Contents List query

Hi. I'm very new to converting ebooks and using Calibre. I have just converted an ebook from PDF to Epub. All is fine, except for the Contents section, which came out as separate pages for each 'chapter' number. There are eleven chapters, some with sub-headings. How do I create the contents as a complete list, as in a normal book? Thanks.
LindaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You have to remember that conversion from PDF to ePUB is cumbersome to say the least. It always will have issues.
Another thing you will have to remember, is that a TOC can be inline or outline. The outline is just like a page. The inline is incorporated and will always be there. Most readers have a special button or option for that. An inline TOC is usually generated by assembling the headers. You can that by opening the ePUB in Sigil and regenerate the TOC.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
LindaJ

Thanks for your reply.

So what is the best format to convert from into ePub? I edit on MSWord, then will be converting to ebook, etc. If there is something better I can use, I'll be very happy to try it.

I'll give the Sigil a go.

Last edited by LindaJ; 10-12-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I personally do the most with Word (think about styles!) and export the file to HTML. I use a macro for that, but you could use the option 'filtered HMTL'. The load the HTML into Sigil and do some cleanup to remove redundant MS Word coding.
Using stylesheets and styles will help.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
LindaJ

Thank you for your reply. That is what I sorted out and ended up doing. Its a very easy, clean way to convert. Sigil is a decent program so will probably use that as well as others for different conversions.
Advert

Tags
contents list, pdf to epub