Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
One hopes that B&N may actually start listening to user complaints.
I think they do. They have released several devices already and each of those have gotten updates (except the Touch, of course), so there is hope
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
@boswd

Well, that's a terrible implementation IMHO, but at least makes sense of my situation. My Nook Color stays on WiFi and my phone (with the Nook app) stays on 3G. (I have WiFi on the phone, but rarely turn it on.)

Since the "last page read" is stored on the B&N servers, I can't imagine why it would matter which way the data is transmitted to the server.
Hmmm I don't think I've ran into that problem. The majority of time when I use my Droid X when reading my nook app is via 3G and my nook color is my reader of choice.

Last edited by boswd; 06-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #48
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Changing the subject back to the font problem I mentioned above (being unable to change fonts in an ebook that I could change fonts in on the old Classic) - I have solved the problem. It was my fault - I coded specific font-family specs in the style sheet for the book (at the author's request).

I guess the odd thing is that the Classic Nook still allowed the font to be changed, whereas the Touch does not allow it in these conditions. No doubt a more up-to-date ereader program is in play here on the Touch.

I do think that authors should not specify font in their ebooks. It defeats one of the key features of an ereader.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Fortunately the multi-level TOC works in the Nook for Android app, but it looks terrible. I would like to see level two headings indented to the left a bit of the level 1 headings. Currently it shows a single hypen in front of level 1 headings and a double hyphen in front of level 2 headings. They look like this:

Code:
-Level 1 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
-Level 1 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
Looks like a crappy text file. You would think a huge book store could do a better job than this. It should look like this:

Code:
Level 1 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
Level 1 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
Why not like Sony does it?

Toc Entry
+Level 1 Heading
+Level 1 Heading
Toc Entry
Toc Entry
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I do think that authors should not specify font in their ebooks. It defeats one of the key features of an ereader.
One of the reasons to embed a font is because the default ADE font is worthless. It's only a not that great normal font and ADE manually manipulates it for bold and italics. Bold is OK at best. But the simulated italics just look bad. So an embedded font family will give you true bold and true italics which look much nicer. Also, sometimes it's better to have a specific font such as a handwriting type font instead of a graphic of handwriting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #51
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
... I only got one-way syncing to work, meaning that the NC would pick up the last page I read on the Touch, but if I read more on the NC and went back to the Touch, it wouldn't sync...
Confirmed. Just to clarify for folks following along, I use the NOOK Android app on my NOOKcolor.

Last edited by SCION; 06-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #52
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One hopes that B&N may actually start listening to user complaints.
I also think it depends on some of the complaints, I mean you are never going to make any device that makes everyone happy. And reading some of the complaints and annoyances here, really have me and I'm sure others, basically rolling their eyes. Sort of like going to a nice hotel and having that person with you that will complain about the lounge, the pool, the service, you know nothing is ever going to be right, mean while everyone else in the group is just saying, Oh Please whatever. We've all experienced that "person" before.

but the Nook STR not syncing bug is a legit complaint and should be fixed.
It doesn work on my nook classic, nook color and on my nook app for android.

but some of the others in this thread well, I don't know, some of it makes me giggle. Life must have been hell before ereaders came out
Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Well, the title of this thread is annoyances and petty quibbles. Some of the issues here are standard features on competing brands and would be easy to implement. YMMV -that's why we have consumer choice.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #54
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
What Bookworm_Girl said.

And, to elaborate, if B&N doesn't listen to consumer complaints, that's fine with me. I bought the Nook Color and complained about PDF support. The Nook Color failed to be updated with the PDF support I wanted, and the Nook Touch doesn't have the PDF support I wanted either. That's fine -- I bought another reader brand instead.

Everyone is happy. B&N got to not change their software, and I got to get the reader I needed. Yay free market.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #55
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Well the Touch is rooted so I'm sure we'll see a good PDF reader alternative offered soon enough.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #56
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Well the Touch is rooted so I'm sure we'll see a good PDF reader alternative offered soon enough.
We'll see. My Nook Color is rooted and I'm not totally thrilled with the PDF readers on the Google Market. QuickOffice is what I'm using now because it has very clean zoom/pan functions, but it doesn't save your last read location, doesn't let you book mark, and doesn't easily let you lock a specific zoom ratio into place -- all of these things are really necessary for reading a PDF book, in my opinion.

If there's a Google Market app that does that and anyone wants to recommend it, I'd love to hear about -- either here or PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #57
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Well, the title of this thread is annoyances and petty quibbles. Some of the issues here are standard features on competing brands and would be easy to implement. YMMV -that's why we have consumer choice.
I understand but basically my point is If I buy a Honda Civic, I'm not going to complain it doesn't have the features of a lexus.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I also think it depends on some of the complaints, I mean you are never going to make any device that makes everyone happy. And reading some of the complaints and annoyances here, really have me and I'm sure others, basically rolling their eyes. Sort of like going to a nice hotel and having that person with you that will complain about the lounge, the pool, the service, you know nothing is ever going to be right, mean while everyone else in the group is just saying, Oh Please whatever. We've all experienced that "person" before.
Quote:
I understand but basically my point is If I buy a Honda Civic, I'm not going to complain it doesn't have the features of a lexus.
Oh, please, please, please back away now before this becomes Flame War #41,357 over which features we're allowed to nitpick over and which we aren't. Pretty please? *puppy eyes*

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #59
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Agree!
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #60
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I think the syncing issue is a legitimate problem and not petty at all. ESPECIALLY since BN advertises this as a feature. They need to fix it, it could very well be a deal breaker to many.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote