Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #31
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I just grabbed my OG Nook, so I can compare the background. Scion, I will let you know if it's a lot darker than what we have now.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Landscape is also a way of getting more words on the page for people using larger fonts due to vision problems. My Mother uses landscape on a regular basis.

Landscape is also a way of enlarging maps and graphics in books and articles.

Ummmm....No it's not. Because you are in landscape mode doesn't mean more words fit on the page. Because, what you gain in the horizontal you lose in the vertical.

It might be a preference (as someone else pointed out) but, the "getting more words on a page" is a completely invalid/incorrect discussion point.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #33
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are plenty of folks who would disagree with you. It is not a feature that I use but most the Kindle users I know use their Kindle to check email and news sites pretty regularly.
You seem to be chock full of valuable information today. With the abundance of smartphones and tablets, I doubt seriously that "most of the kindle users you know (or that anyone else knows, for that matter), use their kindle (of all devices), to stay connected to the rest of the world. The web experience even on a 3.5" smartphone is light years ahead of ANYTHING that you could do on an e-reader, in terms of surfing or checking email. I won't even go into tablets, or netbooks, or laptops.

I own a Kindle and have not once, in my life, utilized the web browser. I know it's there, but, it's as good as useless and might as well not be [there].
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
Ummmm....No it's not. Because you are in landscape mode doesn't mean more words fit on the page. Because, what you gain in the horizontal you lose in the vertical.

It might be a preference (as someone else pointed out) but, the "getting more words on a page" is a completely invalid/incorrect discussion point.
That is how my Mom describes it. Her description might not be accurate. I would not be surprised it that was the case given that it sure looks like the effects of margins are going to be lessened in landscape then in the regular mode.

Admitting that my initial description was imprecise...

My Mother finds it easier to read using landscape then using the regular format. She thinks that she gets more words on the page.

And graphs and images are larger in landscape. At least they are on the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
You seem to be chock full of valuable information today. With the abundance of smartphones and tablets, I doubt seriously that "most of the kindle users you know (or that anyone else knows, for that matter), use their kindle (of all devices), to stay connected to the rest of the world. The web experience even on a 3.5" smartphone is light years ahead of ANYTHING that you could do on an e-reader, in terms of surfing or checking email. I won't even go into tablets, or netbooks, or laptops.

I own a Kindle and have not once, in my life, utilized the web browser. I know it's there, but, it's as good as useless and might as well not be [there].
I believe I made my statement about the Kindle users I know. Knowing them, I have a good idea about how they use their Kindles. Most of them (I can think of 7 off the top of my head not counting the folks I know on BB's) use their Kindles to check email and news sites. I fail to see why this statement would upset you.

I can't help it that my non-representative sample includes folks who use the web browser on their Kindle. They find it works fine for checking their email and other sites.

Believe it or not, there are people who do not own a smart phone. I happen to be one of them. I fail to see a good reason to pay a decent amount for a cell phone and then pay for a data package so that I can be in touch 24/7. I am near a computer often enough to check my email and the web. This is why I don't use my Kindle browser. I am looking at getting a tablet but I am not in a hurry to do so. When I do, I am sure I will check my email on it from time to time because it will replace my netbook.

Just because you don't use a feature does not mean that others do not use a feature. I don't use TTS on my Kindle but I know folks who do. I know folks who have a Kindle and don't use the WiFi at all.

I do think that BN dropping the browser is an intersting choice because it is something that I know some people use. If the people who I know who use the browser on the Kindle were looking to change devices, they would be less likely to choose a device that did not have a web browser.

I am sure that BN made a decision based on the usage it saw and determined that the browser was not a deal breaker for most folks and decided to get rid of it. That doesn't mean that there are not folks who think that this is a bad idea because they used it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Semantics are at play here, so be careful before jumping to conclusions, especially with such attitude! It could be his mom meant "more words across the width of the page," which is absolutely true. That is how I took it.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Actually, you are wrong. And let me explain you why.

On Kindle 3, landscape mode, more words per line are displayed, please notice I said words per line, not page. So when I'm reading an Oracle or MS-SQL book, the code won't cut off or display improperly. Some publishers have fixed that making the code an image, but still, if too small we do have the ability to enlarge and will be displayed on landscape mode most of the time. Of course, I am using same font on both cases, not changing the font.

Without landscape, the line of codes looks like garbage and very difficult to read because it's being shrunk on the screen (less width) on more lines.

I do have a friend at work that opted for Kindle instead of Nook (few months ago) because likes poetry. The problem is the same. When you cut off the lines, it is difficult to read the verse of a poetry. And this is a constructive criticism, so take it as a fact, at least for poetry and programming books.

Trust me. I am talking by experience!

Last edited by jocampo; 06-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #38
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

I have no problem with a "preference" of reading in landscape mode. It was your innacurate "getting more words to a page" comment that I had issue with.

As for the browser. It didn't upset me at all, however, while there are still people who don't own a smartphone, or a tablet, or a laptop, or a netbook, the likelihood that those people (obviously not too tech savvy), would own an ereader, is slim to none. Having said all that, I'm sure they do exist (you claim to be an example of one yourself). But, in general, technology is developed for the majority, not for the exceptions. And, I don't know a single person who checks email or browses the web on an ereader. I know ALOT of people who do taht on their phones (or tablets, netbooks, laptops).

As such, a web browser isn't likely to be seen as an "essential" feature by most people, although I would agree that this is HUGELY subjective in nature.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #39
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Words per line isn't what he said. He said more words per PAGE. This is NOT a matter of semantics. This is flat out incorrect. There are NOT more words displayed per page. There are more words displayed per LINE, and, there are fewer LINES displayed per page, so, in the end, it's a zero sum game.

Because his mom might have meant something else (something nobody HERE will ever know), other than what she expressed verbally, doesn't make it a matter of semantics. If I told you that 6+6 is 36 I would be WRONG. It's not a matter of semantics. It's wrong, even if what I MEANT to say was that 6x6 is 36. Had he said "she likes reading in landscape because there are more words" (without clarifying whether she meant per page or per line) that would have been a matter of semantics, however, he indicated that there are more words per page, which is flat out incorrect.

And, JoCampo, thanks for that, but, that still doesn't mean I'm wrong, as the argument had NOTHING to do with words per line, but rather, words per page.

Last edited by JohnnyRocks; 06-02-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Having said all of this I can't wait for mine to arrive on Wednesday of next week.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
@JohnnyRocks

I can't speak by ProfCrash, but she's a valuable forum member here. It could be a semantic issue, I don't know. But based on your posts about it, it looks like you are not agree that landscape mode is an important feature, that's why I also said you're wrong. If you are, it looks like we all three have the same opinion about how important that feature can be for a lot of users. Without discussion, adds extra space when reading and using same font and size.

By the way, let us know what you think of your Nook Touch .. I am also anxious for user's reviews ....

Last edited by jocampo; 06-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Jocampo, please do NOT put words in my mouth. At NO point did I say it wasn't an important feature. I indicated that her assertion that there are more words to a page in landscape mode was incorrect (and it IS, in fact, incorrect, regardless of how important a feature landscape mode may or may not be).

Having said that, you, Jocampo, are ALSO incorrect in that it does NOT "add extra space when reading using samt font and size." It adds space HORIZONTALLY but removes that space vertically, so, once again, whether you see it or not, it's a zero sum game.

The discussion here isn't the value of landscape mode for reading a PDF or other documents. The discussion here has to do with "words to a page" which, plainly and simply, is NOT affected by the orientation of the reader.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Well, I called another store (somewhat close to home) and they were totally clueless about display units. Told to call back tomorrow or Monday and they should know something.

So much for the B&N press release which states demo units will be available TODAY.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #44
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
yeah well... ok but that doesn't answer the other question:

Quote:
By the way, let us know what you think of your Nook Touch .. I am also anxious for user's reviews ....
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #45
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

What other question is that?