Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #46
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I was so impressed by the new Kobo yesterday, but I did miss for example physical page turning buttons. The Nook has those. On the other hand, Kobo seems to have so much better PDF support. Interesting devices both of them!
I happen to be in Nashville on June 10th.Guess I'll have to visit B&N for a hands on look!
Agreed, I was sold on the new Kobo until I saw the no-physical-page-turning-buttons. I HATE turning pages via touchscreen.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
I am a Nook Classic owner, but analyzing the new Kobo Touch Edition and the new Nook, I like the design of the Kobo better. More square edges, like those of a book.
The Nook STR bezel is too big, imo. The Kobo is more streamlined at 1/2" narrower. But I do like the physical page buttons being left on the Nook STR. Unfortunately, both Nook and Kobo seem to be rather sluggish and somewhat unresponsive to touch in the demo videos I've seen. But eInk readers tend to be slower due to the nature of eInk.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #48
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Call me crazy, but I've just pre-ordered one
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I don't know why, I just don't like the look, it looks to wide. I wonder if it looks better in person and small enough to fit in my back pocket(considering the guy is holding the device one hand it should be small enough).

Is it just me ore does B&N not have a philosophy on their devices. Each of their devices have radically different form factors. There is no unity consistency across their eReaders.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #50
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Call me crazy, but I've just pre-ordered one
Hello Crazy.

You'll have to let us know what you think when it arrives.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #51
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Is it just me ore does B&N not have a philosophy on their devices. Each of their devices have radically different form factors. There is no unity consistency across their eReaders.

=X=
I thought this, too. I really liked the Nook Classic look, but I know that was a YMMV topic and a lot of folks like the black/graphite look.

You see the new Kobo, and it LOOKS like a Kobo. Maybe it's the quilted back.

The new Nook... well, it's got the "n" in the same basic place as the Nook Color "n" and the Nook Classic "n", but other than that, this device looks completely generic. If you handed this to a stranger on the street, would they get that it's a Nook device?

Maybe we should congratulate B&N for not pushing a "brand look" to the exclusion of innovation, but it does seem odd.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #52
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't know why, I just don't like the look, it looks to wide. I wonder if it looks better in person and small enough to fit in my back pocket(considering the guy is holding the device one hand it should be small enough).

=X=
I know what you mean. I just knew it would look exactly like the NOOcolor. They should have went with the same screen size. Not to mention the same attractive look. Why not?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #53
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Maybe we should congratulate B&N for not pushing a "brand look" to the exclusion of innovation
That's how I see it. Ergonomics is a major feature of an ereader. Form needs to follow function in a device like this.
I think it would have been foolish for them to base it's look on branding or traditional aesthetics for it's own sake.

Still, it does look kind of squat.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #54
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's how I see it. Ergonomics is a major feature of an ereader. Form needs to follow function in a device like this.
I think it would have been foolish for them to base it's look on branding or traditional aesthetics for it's own sake.

Still, it does look kind of squat.
smaller center of gravity for better weight distribution?

just a thought.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #55
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Note taking! How it works on this new Nook?

Nook classic is horrible! You have to bookmark and highlight just to know where you did the highlight, and search the notes are horrible too!

If the highlights are improved it is good then.... any feedback on this?

like kindle or pocketbook
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #56
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
never mind

Last edited by Donnageddon; 05-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #57
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
smaller center of gravity for better weight distribution?

just a thought.
Pretty sure center of gravity is a single imaginary line, and can't be bigger or smaller....
But you may have a point. Love my Kindle though I do, I wish the page turn buttons were just a little higher (or user switchable with the previous page buttons) because it becomes a little top heavy if held with my thumb in ideal page-turn position.
By putting more edge in your grip, and less height, this could possibly have better one-handed balance.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I must be missing something. I don't see any physical page turn buttons on this new nook.
The page buttons are there. The description says you can hold them down to invoke 'Fast Page (TM)'.

Interesting that they didn't drop the price more than $10. It looks like it would be cheaper to manufacture than Nook 1st Gen. Keeping their powder dry this time?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #59
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Interesting that they didn't drop the price more than $10. It looks like it would be cheaper to manufacture than Nook 1st Gen. Keeping their powder dry this time?
Especially now that they've stripped out the speakers, the browser, and the 3G (and the AT&T contract they had to maintain).
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #60
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Pretty sure center of gravity is a single imaginary line, and can't be bigger or smaller....
But you may have a point. Love my Kindle though I do, I wish the page turn buttons were just a little higher (or user switchable with the previous page buttons) because it becomes a little top heavy if held with my thumb in ideal page-turn position.
By putting more edge in your grip, and less height, this could possibly have better one-handed balance.

LOL I meant lower center of gravity. Oh well, I'm tired from lunch.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote