Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
3G web with the K3 is a tremendous value despite the browser having limitations and use of it having a learning curve. Every once in a while someone discovers a new improved way to use it, sometimes documented in the sticky "Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have" thread.

Start with www.kinstant.com.

While it does not work with most sites, www.readingthenet.com has some semi-secret sauce that can dramatically speed page loads. Plus it cures the problem of bouncing back to the default font size.

Getting the perfect bookmark may require using a combination of tools such as full-text rss web sites and readingthenet.com and google.com/gwt/n.

The best use of an eReader browser is for sites with extended text you want to read.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-27-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
OP was simply stating that he expected the webkit browser to be better than the other kindle browsers and was wondering if he was doing something wrong or if it was just a bad implementation.

He never ranted or complained about the lack of non-ereader capabilities of the Kindle. Some people read this into any question or criticism of our beloved kindles due to some posts asking for non-ereader perks.
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I think the K3 browser is better than the K2 browser. It's faster and at least allows you to zoom in on parts of pages.

IMO, either one is best used with mobile versions of web pages, which should be faster to load and more readable that full web versions.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I don't see why people are jumping on your case. It would be different if the K3 was the first Kindle with a browser and you were complaining about it. But the K2 had a browser and the K3 browser isn't a unilateral step up in browsing. Personally, the K3 browser infuriates the heck out of me compared to the one on the K2. I wish we had an option of old or new browser on the K3. On the bright side, PDF support on the K3 is magical compared to the K2 and DX models.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I've never used a K2, so I can't weigh in on a comparison between the two browsers. I have used all three web sites that Steve mentioned a few posts back with my K3, and they are a tremendous help! It's great not having to zoom in to read the pages, and it makes the K3's browser a much more pleasant experience for me.
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Attitudes aside, I agree that, for it's role as a simple stripped down browser, the K2 had some advantages over the K3. The K3's web kit browsers seems to try to be too powerful and fails. I've posted here in several places about how much better my gmail experience is on our K2 than on the K3.

As for what to do about it, write to kindle-feedback@amazon.com and suggest the changes you'd like to see.

I'm still holding out hope for the browser in firmware version 3.0.4!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
the links that SteveEisenberg provided help a lot. I've never had to really bother with those on the K2 because of the way it renders the pages, but it makes much difference on the K3. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Attitudes aside, I agree that, for it's role as a simple stripped down browser, the K2 had some advantages over the K3. The K3's web kit browsers seems to try to be too powerful and fails. I've posted here in several places about how much better my gmail experience is on our K2 than on the K3.
..snip..
that's a good way to put it. mind you, it's looks great! but the reason I think it does 'fail' (I would say 'makes it less useful' myself.) is because of the small screen: it's simply too much to cram into that amount of real estate.
Now, if amazon updated the DXG firmware to include the webkit browser it would be AMAZING!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #23
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
OP was simply stating that he expected the webkit browser to be better than the other kindle browsers and was wondering if he was doing something wrong or if it was just a bad implementation.

He never ranted or complained about the lack of non-ereader capabilities of the Kindle. Some people read this into any question or criticism of our beloved kindles due to some posts asking for non-ereader perks.
He did, he said in his title "not impressed". How is that not a criticism?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
'not impressed' compared to the kindle 2.
you shouldn't judge a post by it's title.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Sheesh. Will you give it a rest? It's a discussion. He's allowed to criticize.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Sheesh. Will you give it a rest? It's a discussion. He's allowed to criticize.
Actually if you read my post in proper context, I wasnt responding to the fact that the OP made a criticism in his heading, but to another poster entirely, who posted that he wasnt!

The OP can make his comments, just as others are allowed to point out that the kindle is not an internet device, but an reader. So maybe I just dont need a rest, thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #27
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Actually if you read my post in proper context, I wasnt responding to the fact that the OP made a criticism in his heading, but to another poster entirely , who posted that he wasnt!

The OP can make his comments, just as others are allowed to point out that the kindle is not an internet device, but an reader. So maybe I just dont need a rest, thanks.
yeah, and you misunderstood that one too.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #28
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
perhaps I will just start a new one and try to be clearer in what I'm asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
yeah, and you misunderstood that one too.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #29
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
<rant>Listen, I know your mad as us for all our "backslapping" and whatnot, but seriously? Do you have to get upset about everything? Go take your medication or something for crying out loud.</rant>
Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #30
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
What I don't get, is why, if you have an iPad, are you trying to browse with a Kindle in the first place?
Closed Thread