Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Secretlyowned
Secretlyowned began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3, Nook Classic (previously Sony PRS-600BC)
Wondering if anyone can give info about a softrooted nook and updating to the 1.5..
Secretlyowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Very cool, had to go manual because the wifi update failed (and when I went in I had to remove the failed update file) but it installed quickly. The difference with the page turn speed is remarkable.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping the nooks on display at B&N are updated to 1.5 as I'll be going to B&N tomorrow to have a look at the nook color. I did find the page turns on 1.4.2 to be slow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just looked over at the B&N nook boards and people seem to be happy with 1.5 update.

"Shelves" for both B&N and sideloaded content
Syncing between devices
Faster page turns
Better screen contrast
Passwords
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I am wondering if I need to put 1.4 back on first or if I can update via wifi with my rooted nook? Anybody know?

Also, the My Documents and B&N books are still separate, right? I want the faster page turns, but I like all of my books in one spot. Or if you have a book from My Docs on a shelf and a book from B&N Library on the same shelf, do they show up next to each other?

Last edited by Care; 11-22-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretlyowned View Post
Wondering if anyone can give info about a softrooted nook and updating to the 1.5..
If you update to 1.5, you'll lose your softroot. To stay soft-rooted, you'll have to wait for the nookdevs people to release a new softroot image based on 1.5.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
jmelloy
jmelloy began at the beginning.

The shelves seem nice, but I wish you could collapse them. It doesn't quite solve the problem of too many books, but comes close.

I actually really like the new "Sort by Author" view, where it puts the authors name in bold above all of their books.

Page turning is crazy, crazy fast.
jmelloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharley View Post
... Unfortunately I don't see the shelves appearing when looking at my nook's file system on my Mac, so it would be a tedious process of shelving books through the nook itself.
Not showing because of what I suspect Shelves being a named collection of links to documents and not an actual file/folder (with inode number and all) from more traditional environments.
Yes, pages do seem to turn faster and font is darker, Shelves are great and Audio too but unfortunately messy PDF rendering remains the painfull sore no one figured out how to get rid off...
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #24
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by iharley View Post

OK, I've updated. From with My Documents (and My B&N Library) you have a new option for Shelves. Tapping that gives you the option to:
  • Go to shelf
  • Place on or remove from shelf
  • Reorder shelves
  • Create a new shelf
  • Remove a shelf
  • Rename a shelf

Given what B&N said when announcing this, and all the subsequent cussin' and groanin' about offering organization _only_ for B&N stuff, I was a little surprised to see the "shelves" feature in My Documents too. Will be fiddling with this tonight to see how it works, but at least it is there in some form. Page turns way faster, too. Nice.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
My wifi update fails, so I'm side loading it right now. It looks like it goes in the root dir. I'm not too sure how to run the update; guess I'll just eject the nook from the PC and see if it does its thing.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I couldn't be more impressed with the 1.5 update. The author sort in my documents now matches the B&N folder, the shelves solves my folder needs and the page turns are remarkable.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Shelves work fine, with a little popup to tell you how to set them up. I also notice in the listings that it tells you where you are in each thing you're currently reading. A few more little things here and there to learn and figure out, but it's a worthy update.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #28
cosmic joke
cosmic joke began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
But there is no way to manually re-order the books once in the book shelf right? Because for example if i have a series of books (which would have different names of course) but I want them to appear on that shelf in there chronological order of release there's no way to do that. If there is please let me know.
cosmic joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #29
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic joke View Post
But there is no way to manually re-order the books once in the book shelf right? Because for example if i have a series of books (which would have different names of course) but I want them to appear on that shelf in there chronological order of release there's no way to do that. If there is please let me know.
I use Calibre to load my books and I edit the metatags to add the series name before each title. Ex: The Mortal Instruments 01- City of Bones. Or you can use the series tags to do the same thing.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #30
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
So I just opened my first book under the new update. Holy cow! The page turns are blisteringly fast, I would say they're just as fast as the new Kindle's! I am very impressed. The old speed didn't bother me... but it's nice all the same. :-D
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote