Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #151
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
This is fascinating. I want a study on the preference of Serif/Sans-serif fonts and why people prefer one over the other. (Or at least an MR poll???)

I HATE Sans-Serif fonts. If I were Conan the Barbarian, Sans-Serif fonts would be the guy who burned down my village. That's how much I hate them. I like Serif fonts, but I don't like them all equally - I think some of them are SPARKLYPOO PERFECT and some are just meh.

I can't explain why I feel this way, I just know that some fonts make my eyes happy and some make me feel like nails are being shoved into my eyes. I'm happy to hear that SOME people like Sans-Serif, though, because I've always wondered.

I really would like to see a study on this....
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #152
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This is fascinating. I want a study on the preference of Serif/Sans-serif fonts and why people prefer one over the other. (Or at least an MR poll???)
[...]
I really would like to see a study on this....
You can start a poll, you know....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #153
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Go ahead and do a poll, should be an interesting discussion.

Here are some links that might be of interest...
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/u...52/UK_font.htm
http://alexpoole.info/which-are-more...erif-typefaces

I have read that sans-serif fonts are easier for dyslexic people, but I don't know if that's been looked at scientifically.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #154
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK!

I'm so excited. Never done a poll before.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134584

Thanks for the links AnemicOak!

Update: And, of course, I was so excited to write the poll that I got the descriptions mixed up. Doh.

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Go ahead and do a poll, should be an interesting discussion.

Here are some links that might be of interest...
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/u...52/UK_font.htm
http://alexpoole.info/which-are-more...erif-typefaces

I have read that sans-serif fonts are easier for dyslexic people, but I don't know if that's been looked at scientifically.
I've also found that sometimes the color used helps with dyslexic people. Green seems to be a good color. It has something to do with black on white.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #156
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For the anecdata pile, I feel that I have a touch of dyslexia. I definitely have vertical phoria, which produces a little of the same effect (eyes jumping around on/over text).

And I definitely prefer sans-serif. I think I mentioned that.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #157
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
... still found something to nick pick and complain about. ...
I think you mean nitpick.

This coming from the guy (me) who can't spell Grammer.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #158
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Color does help, although what color works best seems to differ from person to person. I know people who would lay a colored transparency over the page and they could read much better. I saw mainly red and blue sheets.

I have never heard that font size was important. I have not noticed that I have trouble with some books and not others. But that is me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote