Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
dmalovic
dmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Testing/Proving the Kindle 3 freeze problem with the unlighted case

It is very easy to reproduce the problem. Take a plastic bag (one of the staticy ones, that make your hair stand up) and rub it against something woolen or against itself.

Then put the kindle with the case inside, and rub the plastic bag against it some more, to produce more static.

When you take the kindle out, it will be frozen. Restart by holding the power slider in the on position for about 20 sec.

AMAZON, please address this problem. I don't understand how a software patch they are promising will fix an apparent and provable electrical problem??? Will they program in a capacitor or better grounding?

BTW, I tried the same test without the cover, and the Kindle is unaffected.

It would be great if some folks would test this out on a lighted case?
dmalovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
wdreamsmaycome
wdreamsmaycome is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3, ipod touch 1st gen
if there is an electrical connection and you are getting a static discharge it's a very easy way to fry your kindle (or any electronic gadget), I don't think it's a very safe way to test this issue!
wdreamsmaycome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What wdreamsmaycome said. It isn't a good idea to intentionally do this.

The Kindle along with every other consumers electronics device will have some ESD circuitry built into it to protect the electronics against static discharge but it isn't perfect. Intentionally zapping a Kindle with static electricity is a bad idea as you will eventually damage the Kindle. ESD can cause cumulative damage which isn't immediately obvious as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Vpte abpit this problem.

You can vote here if you are having this problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110682
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
dmalovic
dmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litterdmalovic doesn't litter

I am not saying this should be done on a regular basis, it's just a test, primarily for Amazon staff to verify the reports, and as a company that want's to serve it's customers fix the problem. Either stop selling the cases, recall the ones sold, change the design of the Kindle and recall the old ones or something.

But right now the situation is such that some people return their cases with the refund, some get a refund without returning (hard for me, I am from Croatia), or some are offered an upgrade to the lighted cover.

Also if you have a device that freezes often, due to static discharge, than one more will not change the game, esp. for those covered by warranty!

Hope we have a solution to the problem soon, and that this will help people stop speculating what's causing the problem, as some still think it's the winter. It is, but not because of the temperature, but the kind of clothes we wear

Hope this helps!
dmalovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
See my post under another thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=108874&page=3
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
SJP
SJP began at the beginning.

Smile EASY FIX FOR KINDLE 3 CASE PROBLEM

I love the Kindle 3 case and experience the problem of the screen freezing and the battery draining. Not wanting to give up the case, I realized that if I simply insulate one of the hooks that the case uses to hold the Kindle, the electrical current could not complete the circuit and freeze the machine or drain the battery. My quick and simple fix was to remove the Kindle 3 from the case; wrap a tiny piece of scotch tape around the upper sliding hood (leaving just a little bit extra on the side to stick out so it could not get jammed in the Kindle); put the case back on the Kindle, inserting the tape-covered hook into the top slot. Problem solved! I have had zero problems since I did that and since I do not plan to remove the Kindle from the case again, it is a permanent fix. The problem is that apparently the hook at the bottom and the top are metal and connected so that the current can flow from the top to the bottom uninterrupted. Taping the hook, of course, makes the electrical connection impossible and solves the problem.
SJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

or don't buy cases which use the hooks to begin with. I never liked them from the time they were introduced. Found them a PITA to be honest. I stick with cases which are apron style anyway as it seems easier for me to hold the reader in it's case on the occasions where it's easier to do so.

Plus the whole hook setup feels like it's a broken case or hook waiting to happen.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote