Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #31
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
i appreciate the wider options provided by duokan with pdfs, but i have 3 problems using it with my :

- i experience a less pleasant rendering of the text. perhaps some would call it font smoothing. characters are less precise, almost if they had a lower resolution, when using duokan

- is it possible to have a basic cropping of white spaces by default on duokan? i miss that feature of the official kindle software

- some of my pdf documents visible on the kindle don't show in the list of documents browsed in duokan

thanks
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlematic View Post
i appreciate the wider options provided by duokan with pdfs, but i have 3 problems using it with my :

- i experience a less pleasant rendering of the text. perhaps some would call it font smoothing. characters are less precise, almost if they had a lower resolution, when using duokan

- is it possible to have a basic cropping of white spaces by default on duokan? i miss that feature of the official kindle software

- some of my pdf documents visible on the kindle don't show in the list of documents browsed in duokan

thanks
What I like in Duokan is "manual trim", which you see in the Aa menu when viewing your pdf. It will only work in "normal view" (not in "smart layout").

When you select manual trim, you can then use the 5-way to move a cross on the left margin as close to text as possible, then push select, and the cross will move to the lower right to select top and bottom margin trim. Settings will be saved for that pdf. You have to leave a little space on the bottom margin for the location bar.

Another nice thing is that you can select landscape mode for a pdf, and your home page, etc., will stay in portrait mode. The setting will be saved for your pdf. If you use manual trim while in landscape mode, you get really excellent results. Of course, you can't set top and bottom margins, because landscape mode scrolls. But you wind up with no margins at all, and really big, readable type.

Last edited by montalex; 01-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #33
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
What I like in Duokan is "manual trim", which you see in the Aa menu when viewing your pdf. It will only work in "normal view" (not in "smart layout").

When you select manual trim, you can then use the 5-way to move a cross on the left margin as close to text as possible, then push select, and the cross will move to the lower right to select top and bottom margin trim. Settings will be saved for that pdf. You have to leave a little space on the bottom margin for the location bar.

Another nice thing is that you can select landscape mode for a pdf, and your home page, etc., will stay in portrait mode. The setting will be saved for your pdf. If you use manual trim while in landscape mode, you get really excellent results. Of course, you can't set top and bottom margins, because landscape mode scrolls. But you wind up with no margins at all, and really big, readable type.
Thanks. Manual trim is great, something that the Kindle should have had. I just wish Duokan also had an automated "best guess" mode to reduce the white margins, as in a lot of document it could save some time. Perhaps it's possible to suggest it as an addition, but I don't know where the best thread/forum to use
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote