Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
goucla
goucla began at the beginning.

Device: K-2
Kindle syslog file

I'm trying to understand the syntax in the Kindle syslog file. From my deciphering, it looks like the sample syslog file identifies both the Kindle location and the cell tower location. It appears that the Kindle has recorded a connection with a cell tower at the "HDR Lat/Long" coordinates -- I used cellreception.com to identify a cell site owned by Nextel, probably leased to Sprint -- and the device coordinates locating the Kindle to a point near 20450 Stevens Blvd., in Cupertino, CA.

Does this makes sense? Can someone capture and post a similar logfile?

Code:
090719:161519 wand[1661]: I e725:diag: t=4a644ff6,SID=4183,NID=87,
Base ID=744,Network Svc Type=EVDO,Bars=5,
Latitude=37.321441,Longitude=-122.030612,
RSSI dBm=-125,Active Set EC IO dBm=-31.500000,Active Set PN Offsets=264,
HDR Latitude=37.334167,HDR Longitude=-122.031113,
EVDO RSSI dBm=-65,ASET Pilot Energy=-0.53,
HDR Active Set PN Offsets=264,DRC=2,n=1:
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Do you need the Usbnetwork hack to apply these hacks? How does one apply these?
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Zorz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyli View Post
Do the logs only contain information about content you downloaded from Amazon? Does the Kindle also log data (and send said data to Amazon) regarding, for instance, a random text file you put on your Kindle?
I second this question as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyli View Post
Do the logs only contain information about content you downloaded from Amazon? Does the Kindle also log data (and send said data to Amazon) regarding, for instance, a random text file you put on your Kindle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaZorz View Post
I second this question as well.
From what I can tell as a customer, yes; but with a caveat. If you have highlighted or notated a non-Amazon book, Amazon will retain a copy of those notes and underlinings. Otherwise, when you delete a non-Amazon book, it disappears altogether.

I am speaking here of what is available for me as a customer to see when I log into my Amazon account. Now, whether Amazon maintains secret records on its customers, I can't say.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the information guys and for trying to answer those questions.
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #21
Zorz
Zealot

This hack doesn't work on the K2i, it needs to be re-evaluated.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #22
mjm
mjm began at the beginning.

Device: non
any way to update this hack for the recent 2.3 update. I tried following all the scripting and stuff and gave up after a while.

I figured chmodding the showlog script to 0 would probably break things and probably be pointless given the framework account so....yeah.

what I want to do right now is set the print_stream*/print_gzip* functions to return something wacky and forget about it, but since the framework account has a login im not sure how useful that would be.

I am assuming the default account is... whats used to read books but im probably wrong about that.

now short of trying to port ipchains or ipfw or something and just denying inbound im not sure how to actually feel warm and fuzzy about all this :/

bleh. im tired, someone make this make sense :/
Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
We need to get something similar going for DX. I think mine is in order, but I'm not savvy enough to do all of the similar tasks on my own.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #24
n4ru
n4ru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is this currently nonfunctioning on the K2(i)/DX(i)?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
Zorz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ru View Post
Is this currently nonfunctioning on the K2(i)/DX(i)?
Nope, it needs to be updated. Im working on it.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
buyer12
buyer12 began at the beginning.

Any update on this?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #27
Zorz
Zealot

The original writer disappeared, so somebody else needs to do it. I really just dont have time.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
For 2.3, on my Kindle DX, I made this change right near the end of /usr/bin/showlog:

else # Sending full logs
print_stream_header `ls $ARCHIVE_DIR/${LOG}_*.gz | wc -l ` >> $OUTFILE
$GZIP_HEADER_TYPE `ls $ARCHIVE_DIR/${LOG}_*.gz | xargs ` >> $OUTFILE
fi
echo "" > $OUTFILE # GeekRaver's hax

Just the last line is mine; the rest is to show the context. That just replaces the logs with an empty string.

Earlier in the file there is a line:

OUTFILE=/dev/stdout

which I changed to:

OUTFILE=/dev/null

Last edited by geekraver; 02-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #29
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Thank you.
Can you create a package for Kindle DX ?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #30
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Base ID=744,Network Svc Type=EVDO,Bars=5,
Latitude=37.321441,Longitude=-122.030612,

They can track you!That is terrifying.They can tell the police where you have been.
Closed Thread