Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
ab257
ab257 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
[Old Thread] iPhone Stanza can't find Calibre content server

I have an iPhone with Stanza and Windows 7 with Calibre installed. In the iPhone copy of Stanza I can manually type in the computer ip address and port in the Shared > Book Sources area and access the Calibre library on the iPhone, but Stanza's 'Computer Sharing books can't find it.

Any ideas on how to get the Computer Sharing Books to automatically find it so if my IP address changes I don't have to change the setting for Calibre in Book Sources?
ab257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the calibre server exports its ip address via the BonJour service, your computer probably has a firewall/network settings that are blocking that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Question FYI

Similar situation. Stanza can see the content server but it will not load it's contents, to make that happen I also have to plugin the ip addy and port by hand.

The service is not blocked as far as I can tell, and calibre has an active firewall exception. What could cause the the catalog not to show but allow the server to show?

How could I determine if this is stanza's or calibre's issue?

Just curious, no rush. I'm happy to plug in the addy by hand.
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I am in the interesting situation where my iphone can see the content server (usually), but my ipad can't (although it has been able to in the past)! I can have the two sitting side by side on my desk, but they act very differently.

Calibre has access through the firewall.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That would probably be due to a recent change in configuration and/or software you made. Can you access other network resources with the iPad? Check to see if the network and software (browser/reading software) configuration are the same on iPad and iPhone.
Also, needs more details. Are you connecting through your local network or is the content server visible on the WAN? What software are you using to connect to the content server?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm not sure I always understand what you are asking me, Manichean, but I'll try to answer you.

When I am at home, I access the net through our house wifi. I pick up my signal wirelessly from the router in the room next door. This is true of both my iphone and ipad.

My ipad is working perfectly in all other respects and I regularly browse the net, accessing websites and downloading.

I am not sure what I am checking to see if the network and software configurations are the same?

I don't really understand how I know whether I am connecting through the local netowrk or content server. I thought this was automatic via the wireless.

Sorry to be so vague - this is a problem I suspect many non-technically minded have. When I follow instructions and things work, it's fine. If I don't get the expected response to instructions, I don't understand the systems and therefore can't apply logic for a solution.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

What software are you using to access your library on the iPad and iPhone?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
What software are you using to access your library on the iPad and iPhone?
I am guessing that it is Stanza since that is what the thread is about. However it is always worth confirming this!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Rachel
Zealot

Hi, yes it's Stanza.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Can you access the content server by using the iPad's browser, then?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have found that using the IP/network address of the Content Server within Stanza seems to be far more reliable than trying to use Bonjour to find the Content Server.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

That's what I'm trying to work towards
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Rachel
Zealot

My experience is exactly the same as Isalterid in his Whimsical IPAD-Calibre/"content server"! thread (excellently descriptive title):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131852

I suddenly managed to connect to the server via Stanza on my ipad this evening (I've not been able to connect for several weeks) - and then lost the connection again. I stopped and restarted the server in Calibre. This does not always work, but tonight it has.

Tonight I can reach the server by using its address - but this is not always reliable either.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
My experience is exactly the same as Isalterid in his Whimsical IPAD-Calibre/"content server"! thread (excellently descriptive title):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131852
If it is the same then the same answer should help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However in my experience you get a far more reliable connection from Stanza if you use the IP address:Port of the computer running the Calibre Content server rather than relying on Bonjour to locate it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
mexicoblue
mexicoblue began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
I'm having the same problem, but I'm just a reader and not a techie. I've spent 5 hours getting my books on calibre and now I can get them to itunes and to iread, but not to stanza. I've tried everything I can find on the forums. When I got to get books and "shared", calibre is listed., It finds my home computer and when I click on that it says "catalog error The request timed out". I've spent another 4 hours trying to get access to my calibre books via stanza. Does anyone have something in "English" not "computerese" that can help me? Thanks.
mexicoblue
mexicoblue is offline   Reply With Quote