Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #76
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Blossom, what is the memory of your new Kindle, and how many books will it hold?

Is it more than that of the PaperWhite?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #77
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Blossom, what is the memory of your new Kindle, and how many books will it hold?

From what I was reading on the Amazon site, they're the same. Which I find odd but they are. I think it's because they're pushing the cloud thing.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #78
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Is there any difference between the new $69 Kindle and the old $79 Kindle? (Besides the obvious black vs grey.)
Spec-wise they look the same, but the photos from Blossom and others show an improved screen, so perhaps the eInk screen is better than last year. I hope so, eInk should be able to make improvements over time even if they are only minor.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #79
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Holy crap! I just looked on the german ebay site... some people really really want to make a fast buck. Paperwhite Wifi for €240 - that's $315, more than twice the original price! And that does NOT yet include customs & VAT, which will be charged on top and could be expected to be another 50€ or more.

Lucky are those who have friends in the US who are not trying to rip them off
haha, still lucky you guys. If I were to import a kindle, I'd pay roughly the same price of the product just for the import fee. $69 is just too damn good to be true. For this price I'd guess all americans would drop all games, iPhone fart apps and TV just to be reading on it like there's no tomorrow...

but Amazon is set to get here next year, along with the Kobo guys. I can live with an iriver Story for that long.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #80
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

The same as the PW 2GB

2 GB internal (approximately 1.25 GB available for user content). Holds up to 1,400 books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Is there any difference between the new $69 Kindle and the old $79 Kindle? (Besides the obvious black vs grey.)
A nicer back. Last night I was reading on the K4S and I forgot how hard it is too hold on to. The K4 back feels alot like the KF's back. It doesn't try to slide out of my hand. Improved contrast blacker blacks, whiter, whites. The specs are the same but unless someone pops one open and compares them it just feels nicer. The speed is the same as far as I can tell.

I forgot to mention the power button is moved more inward. This makes it a bit tough to push for me. This is the only downside I can find at the moment.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I think it's because they're pushing the cloud thing.
That's possibly part of it. I wonder if some of it doesn't have to do with the issues a lot of folks seem to have with many eInk readers not working as well when they're loaded down with thousands of books. Maybe Amazon feels that by limiting thing with less storage they'll limit some of those issues.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #83
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Blossom: comparison pics of the custom font, if/when you can? thanks in advance.

I really like the black bevel. I don't know why Amazon hasn't done it til now (I guess one theory is they don't want to draw attention to the grayness of the "ink", but I think the gray bevel makes it worse, possibly)
Sure! I had to run upstairs and bring in back down.
I love the black bezel version. I hope they stay with this color. It says Kindle to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02688.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	92353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02691.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	92354  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #84
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
What does "K4S" and KB stand for please and thank you?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #85
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
What does "K4S" and KB stand for please and thank you?
K is for "Kindle". 4 is for the major firmware version number, which is 4.x on the Kindle 4 (Mini) that sold for $79USD, and also the new $69 Kindle. That is what we mean by K4. In this forum, people have been appending S for "Silver" or B for "Black" bezel colors (K4S and K4B). You may also see KPW for "Kindle Paperwhite" in this forum as well.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #86
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Blossom, how do you add custom fonts to your K4B? Is that something that can also be done with the KTouch and the upcoming PaperWhite?
Can't find if you answered this question. Is it possible to let us know where we can get the font, and how to add it to the K4 S&B. Thanks for any help provided.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #87
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Can't find if you answered this question. Is it possible to let us know where we can get the font, and how to add it to the K4 S&B. Thanks for any help provided.
You need Calibre and the plugin Called Kindle Collections.
Scroll down on that till you see
Modify Kindle Settings such as Margins and Fonts
Hit the spoiler button and follow the directions.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #88
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded Calibre in the past, but never installed it or tried to use it. Looks like I'll have to finally get into it. Have over 600 books, and have never categorized them. Looks like it's now or never. Do I also need Kindle for PC for this?
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded Calibre in the past, but never installed it or tried to use it. Looks like I'll have to finally get into it. Have over 600 books, and have never categorized them. Looks like it's now or never. Do I also need Kindle for PC for this?
Nope just Calibre and the plugin.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #90
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Thanks so much for the letters clarification. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote