Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
MSI Announces their own tablet

According to engadget MSI is launching their own tablet device at some point.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I saw this as well.... MSI would be advised to lower that price, or it will be buried in the marketplace.....

I like MSI, and would look at their pad. But if for no other reason than resale value, for the same money I would take the iPad.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
... MSI would be advised to lower that price, or it will be buried in the marketplace.....
It is too bad, but you are probably right - brand recognition does go a long way. Same thing with MP3 players, there are many equally, if not more, capable players out there for less cost that still get passed over for an iPod.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
As comments in the article pointed out, this is rather lacking in details. Based strictly on what's included in the article I'm not even sure it'll compete with the iPad, regardless of price.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Tegra 2 to have multiple high profile design wins. Apparently, many companies are working on similar Tegra 2 based slates.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
It does seem to be the best available from several A9-based system-on-a-chip solutions, and it's critical to Nvidia's position, given the ATI/AMD merger.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
clunney
clunney began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
<sarcasm mode on>

The Tegra Tablet can't be any good:

1. Look at the size of that bezel! Who could possibly think that's reasonable?

2. Looks a lot thicker than 0.5 inches -- probably weighs far more. Who wants a heavy tablet?

3. LCD screen? If it's not Pixel Qi or e-ink, it's junk!

4. According to reports (http://nugossips.com/msi-nvidia-tegra-tablet-pc), the core processor is a Cortex A9 ARM dual-core processor at up to 1GHz. My $2000 laptop has a quad-core 2.33 Ghz processor, so this is way too slow to do anything.

5. $500? I can get a netbook for $300! Why would I want this thing for nearly twice the price?

6. Full OS? It's probably Windows, so it'll get infected with viruses and spyware!

7. Only wireless mentioned, no 3G -- obviously a cost-cutting measure that will make this a EPIC FAIL!!!!

8. It's not a dedicated ereading device with a Pixel Qi or e-ink screen, so we shouldn't even be talking about it here!

Only MSI fanbois and clueless sheeple will possibly want to buy something like this. Obviously, the tech specs aren't anywhere near good enough for the "real" readership here. No matter how many millions of these things are sold, this will still be the ultimate, no-holds-barred EPIC FAIL OF THE CENTURY!!!

</sarcasm off>

(please note: the above rant, with suitable modifications, may also be used for the Apple Ipad)
clunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Personally, I'm a lot MORE interested in the MSI tablet because:

It's going to have a Win, Linux or Android OS by default...there aren't any other choices. It's going to be a typical tablet PC, a netbook without a keyboard.

So therefore, we know:

1) We know it will have USB or smartcard ports, for extra storage.
2) We know the OS will be able to handle multi-tasking
3) We know it will play Flash video
4) We know we'll able to use non-DRM book readers
5) We know we'll be very likely to able to download outside applications without having MSI have to "approve" it.

It may end up being one of the imminent "herd o' tablets" but it's still going to be a better buy than the IMeh.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

"It may end up being one of the imminent "herd o' tablets" but it's still going to be a better buy than the IMeh."

Better? For you maybe, but not for most folks. Let's wait a year and see if the MSI even is still in production. And if it is, let's compare sales figures with the "IMeh".

If it goes like I bet it goes, does that mean the "IMeh" is better than the MSI? No. But it does mean that is is better for MORE PEOPLE. Not you maybe, but most.....

Again, I am a fan of MSI.... but $500 in my pocket.... I think you can figure out which one I buy....
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
FWIW, if I had $500 in my pocket I'd put it into a savings account. Can't see, for me, being interested in either tablet. (Or I might put it into a dedicated ebook reader. That's something that I have thought about although I haven't yet bought one.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
FWIW, if I had $500 in my pocket I'd put it into a savings account. Can't see, for me, being interested in either tablet. (Or I might put it into a dedicated ebook reader. That's something that I have thought about although I haven't yet bought one.)
LOL.... same here, I have a lot of things to put $500 to right now, rather than another toy...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Unexpectedly low Apple iPad price forces notebook vendors to re-evaluate...

From DigiTimes:

Unexpectedly low Apple iPad price forces notebook vendors to re-evaluate their tablet PC strategies

"... The vendors originally planned to offer prices pegged at 20-30% lower than the Apple iPad, while they generally expected the device to cost as much as US$1,000. The US$499 entry-level price has caught vendors by surprise and means they will now need to adjust their price scales even lower to attract consumers, the sources pointed out.

However, starting a price war at below US$499 raises concerns that any profitably will be driven out of the nascent tablet PC market, before it even has a chance to take off...."

MSI is specifically mentioned.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
It seems pretty unlikely that companies will have been planning based on the maximum possible price of the ipad, I am sure they would have been delighted if the price had been that high, but won't have expected it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard

To me the biggest surprise of the iPad was the price. I figured the starting price to be at least $200-300 more than it is. And yes, behind closed doors I wager the competition is concerned. I see no way they want to get in a price war with each other in the sub $500 range....