Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What types of books do you like to read?
Non-fiction 60 51.28%
Humour 47 40.17%
Horror 35 29.91%
Indie 23 19.66%
Lifestyle & Home 3 2.56%
Mystery & Thriller 92 78.63%
Religion 10 8.55%
Romance 32 27.35%
Self Help 8 6.84%
Travel 18 15.38%
Science Fiction & Fantasy 95 81.20%
Sports 6 5.13%
How to 14 11.97%
Biographies & Memoirs 47 40.17%
Education 12 10.26%
History 47 40.17%
Parenting 2 1.71%
Politics 13 11.11%
Technical 18 15.38%
Computers 17 14.53%
Comics & Graphic Novels 26 22.22%
Cookbooks 28 23.93%
Historical Fiction 57 48.72%
Religion & Spirituality 17 14.53%
Young Adult 41 35.04%
Travel 18 15.38%
Other (please explain) 19 16.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #16
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I mostly read urban fantasy (so Science fiction and fantasy), non-romance-focused young adult + middle grade fantasy/adventure (Young Adult) & mysteries, largely cosies but not exclusively (so Mystery and Thriller).

I like books that are funny but not "humour" as such - rather just books of other genres that make me smile/grin/laugh out loud.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Add science, especially astronomy, physics and biology (i.e., evolution) to my list.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Literary fiction is missing, so that's my "other".

I'm surprised at the low number of romance readers in the poll, given the popularity of their bargain thread. Perhaps they don't read this section of the forum.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Great poll. While I read a little of everything, 80% of what I read falls into 4 categories, which I selected!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
A great poll!
I missed literature, which makes up a great part of my reading, besides mystery and fantasy. Travel is mentioned twice.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
A great poll!
I missed literature, which makes up a great part of my reading, besides mystery and fantasy. Travel is mentioned twice.
Forgive me, it's my first poll. I was bound to mess at least 2 things up .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I checked, among others, both Mystery & Thriller and Science Fiction & Fantasy although I don't particularly like pure Thrillers and rarely read Fantasy. I read "Mystery/Detective/Crime" and "Hard Science Science Fiction".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mostly Sci-fi, Horror, General fiction, Young adult books, Fantasy, Historical fiction, Classics and some indies ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
My picks were:

Non-fiction
Horror
Lifestyle & Home
Mystery & Thriller
Romance
Science Fiction & Fantasy
History
Comics & Graphic Novels (in my case though it's Manga I read not Comics & Graphic Novels)
Historical Fiction
Religion & Spirituality
Young Adult
Other (like gardening, poetry, etc.)
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I read pretty well anything if it sounds interesting. I have even read and enjoyed Juvenile and Chick-Lit.

Just curious though, is Indie really considered a genre?

Helen

Much better poll than I could have done I am sure
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I checked everything except horror, lifestyle, comics, young adult, and other.

I probably shouldn't have checked indie. That's not a genre, but a business strategy. While I think publishers add value, if the reviews are good, I don't care who is the publisher. Pearl S. Buck was published by her husband's tiny company, and, eventually, they didn't publish much else than her books, so maybe that counts as liking indie.

Probably I like to read young adult; I just don't do it much.

Lifestyle and home - I didn't know what that was. I do look at gardening books.

Other - I should have checked that because I read science books once in a while. Mostly history of science, but sometime popularized physics, and sometimes books on animals. There was a good one a few years ago on how locusts have, thankfully, disappeared from North American.

Horror - Now there's a genre I detest. Although I will read about real-life historical horrors.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Definitely an improvement on the previous poll, thanks, though the missing category "Literature" is a bit of a hole in the voting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Hey, you even spelled humour properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Yes I did
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I read pretty well anything if it sounds interesting. I have even read and enjoyed Juvenile and Chick-Lit.

Just curious though, is Indie really considered a genre?

Helen

Much better poll than I could have done I am sure
I just copied Indie from the previous poll (I don't think it's a genre, but I would like to know how many people read indie books compared to ones by big publishers). I tried to keep it as close to the original.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Lifestyle and home - I didn't know what that was. I do look at gardening books.
Here's Amazons findings for Lifestyle and Home http://www.amazon.com/Lifestyle-Home...d_i=2237633011
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Not to nitpick becuase I kow it would be impossible to list every genre and subgenre, but any such poll really should have literature choices, i.e. "Classic Lit" and "Modern/Contemporary Lit".
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote