Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Problem with Calibre Quick Start Guide!

When I downloaded the new 6.38 for Mac OSX today the first thing I saw is the new Quick Start Guide seemed to be automatically added to the library. It looks like a good idea but there is something wrong with the file. It shows a size of 0.0 MB in the library column. When you read it the file does not properly paginate as you click in the bar but will skip pages, segments of pages, even stall. If you mouse on and hold down the down arrow the file will quickly stall out. It acts almost as if it is trying to read a poorly downloading streaming file (I know that is not the case at all but it is what it feels like). I checked about ten other of my books at random and it's not anything with the new update but is the Guide file itself. I thought you would want to know.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I downloaded the new 6.38 for Mac OSX today the first thing I saw is the new Quick Start Guide seemed to be automatically added to the library. It looks like a good idea but there is something wrong with the file. It shows a size of 0.0 MB in the library column. When you read it the file does not properly paginate as you click in the bar but will skip pages, segments of pages, even stall. If you mouse on and hold down the down arrow the file will quickly stall out. It acts almost as if it is trying to read a poorly downloading streaming file (I know that is not the case at all but it is what it feels like). I checked about ten other of my books at random and it's not anything with the new update but is the Guide file itself. I thought you would want to know.
The original install also shows as 0.0 in the main library window, But it shows as a 0.01 EPUB file in the Mete data editor.

It paginates fine in Windows.

Last edited by theducks; 02-09-2010 at 04:48 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's less than 0.1 MB in size, so it shows as 0

I don't see this stalling behavior either
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I downloaded the new Calibre for OSX and this is still happening here and only on the one file. An example: I go to the heading "Task 4: Interacting with e-book readers" in the built-in View miniapp. There is no way I can use the thumb in scroll bar or the up arrow to go back in the guide to the sentences immediately preceding that heading. I have to mouse on the up arrow 11 times before the text moves and then it goes to further back in the file. Or if I click in the scroll bar above the thumb I must click twice before the text moves (again, to deeper into the file). This happens at different rates at different points in the file and each is repeatable. I have reinstalled Calibre. Beats me -- is no one else with a Mac OSX seeing this???
Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just tried what you describe (OSX Snow Leopard) - task 4, scroll up - works for me, no weirdness.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Neil
Addict

OK, very strange. Well, as long as everything else works fine as it does I can live with it.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just tried task 4 in 0.6.40 Linux and I see the weirdness.

Using the TOC to jump to Task 4, the scroll bar is at the top in ebook viewer.
Click the Scroll bar Up arrow and nothing appears to happen.
Click a bunch of times (about 6 times) and the view jumps to the start of task 3
The scroll bar is now somewhere midways.
You can scroll down using the scroll bar arrow heads until you enter Task 4.

Click the arrow heads some more and All of a sudden it jumps to "Where to get help"

This is appears to be a Viewer bug when transitioning split HTML segments.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's limited to extremely short documents like the QSG, where each segment fits in a single viewer window.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Neil
Addict

Glad someone else saw it and, yep, I do use a small viewer window (the default size). A
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just use page down/down arrow/next page button to scroll. The scroll bar doesn't work well with very small documents.