Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Android version: glaring gaps

I recently read a self-published book that had chunks of text missing in it on my Kindle for Android app on a Galaxy Note 8. As you might imagine it was quite annoying but I just figured that is what you'll have to deal with when you pay $1.99 for a book (it had some other shortcomings as well). Two bucks? I'm not about to cause a ripple.
Then I started Lee Child's Persuader (Jack Reacher #7) on the same Kindle app. Lo and behold, again there were chunks missing. He was given a small e-mail device and all those e-mail exchanges are so far missing on Android. Well, this is a BPH book that I paid $7.99 for (outside US pricing) and my expectations are obviously higher. Hence I opened it in my Kindle Keyboard tp see if the text was missing there as well. Nope it wasn't (which forces me to reconsider the earlier book). Everything was there.

So, now I'm curious to know if anyone else has had issues with their Kindle for Android app.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This could be a bug in the android app that causes the text to not be displayed. Alternatively, the file sent to the app could have some problem -- the text may actually be missing, or there is some formatting error.

To know which, you can strip the DRM and open the book in calibre or another app. In any event, contact amazon and make a complaint.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I use Kindle for Android on my phone and tablet (running android 4.4.2 and 4.1.2 respectively), Kindle app is v4.5.1.6. Have not seen any similar issues. I wonder if you are on an older version of Android and/or an older version of the app?

Wonder if changing text size or font would have any effect?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Then I started Lee Child's Persuader (Jack Reacher #7) on the same Kindle app. Lo and behold, again there were chunks missing. He was given a small e-mail device and all those e-mail exchanges are so far missing on Android. Well, this is a BPH book that I paid $7.99 for (outside US pricing) and my expectations are obviously higher. Hence I opened it in my Kindle Keyboard tp see if the text was missing there as well. Nope it wasn't (which forces me to reconsider the earlier book). Everything was there.

So, now I'm curious to know if anyone else has had issues with their Kindle for Android app.
I have this version of Persuader...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBJDF2

If you give some locations to check I can check it on both my Fire HDX and Nexus 7 (old version) to see if they have the same issues.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a screenshot of a page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406703312208.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	126131  
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

And here is the same page on my Kindle keyboard. Rather glaring omission in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406703088697.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	126132  
Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
What happens if you change the background colour on the Android version?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That looks to me as if the book is requesting a font that, for some reason, is failing to render in the app. I've never seen that happen before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

But there isn't any font change on the Kindle.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
What happens if you change the background colour on the Android version?
Nothing, looks the same. I have contacted Amazon, I'll just have to wait for their response.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But there isn't any font change on the Kindle.
Are you sure? From your screenshot it appears to be rendered in an italic font.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The italicized message from Susan Duffy shows up as expected in my copy of Persuader in the Android Kindle app, on a Nexus 7 (2013). Kindle app v4.5.1.6.

Have you checked to see if there's an updated version of the kindlebook available? Perhaps there was an issue on the KF8 side of things that has since been fixed (if you bought the book a while ago).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

No, I haven't checked I assumed Amazon pushed out new books if they became available.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? From your screenshot it appears to be rendered in an italic font.
So it might be that the Android app ignores italics and just shows blanks instead? I'll try and switch font.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So it might be that the Android app ignores italics and just shows blanks instead? I'll try and switch font.
The Android App displays italics just fine, as a general principle, but there might be something unusual about that particular italic font.