Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #376
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes View Post
This prompts another silly question: I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you used the word "connect", e.g., "That way it is updated each time you connect."
I meant connect to the PC and run calibre.
Quote:
I know I have to connect the kobo to the computer to charge it; however, I wasn't planning on installing the desktop software or activating the wifi. With the books on the sd card, I guess I presumed that if I ever took the card out to add/delete books, the kobo would make the updates to the shelves and series once the card was reinserted....maybe not?
You can put books onto the SD card and the device will process them into the library when you put the card back into it. But, that is all it does. The shelves are created by calibre when the device is connected. It updates the database on the device to create the shelves.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-04-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #377
ShimSham
Enthusiast
ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch, Nook HD/HD+ and Hudl2
Is there any way to add series information to the book title of Kobo kepubs?
ShimSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #378
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimSham View Post
Is there any way to add series information to the book title of Kobo kepubs?
Yes, using the Calibre metadata plugboard under preferences.

These are my settings -

format - epub
device - kobotouchextended
source template - {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
destination field - title

Which results in my books appearing like this -

Series - 03 - Title

You can adjust it so that the title shows first, then the series and series number.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #379
ShimSham
Enthusiast
ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch, Nook HD/HD+ and Hudl2
Thanks booklover6. I will give that a try tomorrow.
ShimSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #380
descartes
descartes began at the beginning.

Device: Aura ONE Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
You can put books onto the SD card and the device will process them into the library when you put the card back into it. But, that is all it does. The shelves are created by calibre when the device is connected. It updates the database on the device to create the shelves.
OK, thanks davidfor.

I decided to just ‘go for it’ so I turned the kobo on for the first time and set it up. I inserted the empty sd card into the kobo, connected it to the pc, launched calibre, selected (3) books and sent them to storage card A; then ejected the kobo, watched it ‘process’ the books, turned it off and then back on.

I went to Library->Books and, lo-and-behold, there they were; however, when I went to My collections, it lists 5 entries. Here is the info on the 3 books I sent:

Book 1 Series: Hard Case Crime My Shelves: Hard Case Crimes Series
Book 2 Series: John Puller My Shelves: David Baldacci
Book 3 Series: Will Robie My Shelves: David Baldacci

And here’s what I see when I select My collections:

David Baldacci
Hard Case Crime
Will Robie
John Puller
Hard Case Crime Series

This is the metadata plugboards source template info I used:
{series}{series_index:0>3s| # | - }{title}

I know I’m real close to getting the kobo dialed-in…any advice is greatly appreciated.

Okay, I re-read this entire thread and found my error. In the KoboTouch plugin, I changed automatic management from #myshelves,series to just #myshelves. That fixed it!

Last edited by descartes; 05-06-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Solved the problem
descartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #381
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
post put in wrong thread, please delete

Last edited by Purrceyz; 05-13-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #382
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
Can I create sub-collections on the Kobo Aura? I created the template below for the Nook, and now I'm trying to convert it to the Kobo.

Code:
{title:'current_library_name()'}/{title:'contains(current_library_name(), '^Fanfiction Library$',sublist(field('#fandom'), 0, 1, ","), field("authors"))'}/{title}
I want collections to read

Fanfiction Library > Fandom > Title.epub

or

Fiction & Biography Library > Author > Title.epub

Right now, after adding #libraryname, #fandom, authors to the Kobotouch plugin, and using the template above. It creates collections for all instances, it does not organise into sub-collections as the template tells it to. Do I need to write a different template?
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #383
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo devicess do not support sub collections; only a single level. However, books can belong to multiple collections.

For instance, I end up with a collection by series, a different one for all books added in a given month, yet another for all books finished in a given month, plus some dedicated to certain classifications like food or reference materials.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #384
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
Yeah, that's what it's currently doing. Books are appearing in collections for #libraryname, #fandom and authors. It's a mess. I want the folder structure above, mainly to separate fanfiction from fiction.

Shame. I may have to write a different template, turning the libraryname of my non-fanfiction libraries, into a fandom.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #385
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Thank you for the guide. It seems that now you can also add simply "series" or any other tag to the device options, you don't need a custom column anymore.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #386
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Thank you for the guide. It seems that now you can also add simply "series" or any other tag to the device options, you don't need a custom column anymore.
You can use any column or combination of columns. You always could. The custom columns are handy if you want to use something that is not in one of the standard columns.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #387
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Series now showing series[#] management shelves

Hi,
I am not sure when Calibre went to showing Series as series[#], which in calibre I could careless about, however using them for shelves I have 32 book series now has 32 shelves vs the 1 shelf. Am thoroughly annoyed anyone have an idea how I can fix this extremely frustrating behavior? I have several thousand books so going purely to using the custom field is not an option. It does not help I did not notice until 11pm on a Friday night. Thanks

Laura
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 AM   #388
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I don't see any difference in how calibre is displaying series. And my shelves are still just the names of the series. Can you check the driver configuration? And specifically, what you have in the shelves field.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #389
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi it turns out I had some how set series info on my shelves. I have removed them and I have the unwanted shelves out. Thanks for all your help

Laura
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #390
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
So I need some help because I have followed the instructions to the letter of the law and I am still struggling with creating these shelves.

After experimenting a little I can now see books on the Aura HD. What is interesting is that if I send the books as .epubs, they show up no problem including covers. If I covert them to KEPUBs, I get a collection with books that have no cover and show Unknown Author.

This DOES NOT produce:

Series Title, # and Title.

Found out the answer and here it is for anyone else with issues:

Actually, what I noticed is that the only thing you need to do (provided calibre is configured for automatic metadata management) is:

1. Send books in question to the device.
1. Eject device
2. Disconnect USB cable
3. Wait for Kobo to process new books
4. Reconnect Kobo and allow calibre to sync metadata.
5. Eject device and enjoy.

This will both fix the small square book cover and simultaneously sync the correct series information, in the library views you'll see the name of the series and the index in a format like this:

<Book title>
<Series> - <Index>
<Author>

It seems that with the copying of books along with their metadata to the kobo reader the series information is ignored and/or erased after the initial processing and sometimes the cover isn't shown correctly. 2nd metadata-only sync should fix this...

Last edited by chilady1; 09-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote