Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
mb_webguy
mb_webguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
[SOLVED] Calibre 0.7.50 can't see plugin files

I'm using Calibre 0.7.50 on Ubuntu 10.04, installed from Nate Muench's PPA for Lucid. When I try to add a plugin -- and so far this applies to all of the several different plugins I've downloaded from different sources -- the file browser dialog doesn't list the plugin zip files.

I'm running Calibre 0.7.18 on Ubuntu 10.10 on a different machine, and have no problem seeing and installing plugins. I briefly upgraded to 0.7.50 on that machine using Nate Meunch's main PPA, and had the same problems as on the first machine. Since the same problem occurred with the same version of Calibre on different machines installed from different sources (even if those sources are maintained by the same person), I have to think that it's a problem with the version.

I can't find a PPA or other means of successfully downgrading to 0.7.18 on Ubuntu 10.04, and since the alternative is to downgrade all the way to 0.6.42 or a more recent version of Ubuntu on that machine (neither of which is something I want to do), I'd really like to fix this plugin problem with 0.7.50.

Anyone have any idea about the cause of this problem, or a possible solution?

[EDIT: Solved by installing the most recent official version of Calibre.]

Last edited by mb_webguy; 04-29-2011 at 03:42 AM.
mb_webguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post
I'm using Calibre 0.7.50 on Ubuntu 10.04, installed from Nate Muench's PPA for Lucid. When I try to add a plugin -- and so far this applies to all of the several different plugins I've downloaded from different sources -- the file browser dialog doesn't list the plugin zip files.

I'm running Calibre 0.7.18 on Ubuntu 10.10 on a different machine, and have no problem seeing and installing plugins. I briefly upgraded to 0.7.50 on that machine using Nate Meunch's main PPA, and had the same problems as on the first machine. Since the same problem occurred with the same version of Calibre on different machines installed from different sources (even if those sources are maintained by the same person), I have to think that it's a problem with the version.

I can't find a PPA or other means of successfully downgrading to 0.7.18 on Ubuntu 10.04, and since the alternative is to downgrade all the way to 0.6.42 or a more recent version of Ubuntu on that machine (neither of which is something I want to do), I'd really like to fix this plugin problem with 0.7.50.

Anyone have any idea about the cause of this problem, or a possible solution?
Why are you using a outdated (Calibre updates weekly) PPA?
Uninstall using Synaptic (your Library will be un-touched)
and Install pasting the command found at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux (I send you to the official site, so you know the command is legitimate) into a Terminal.
It will ask for sudo password. Then just accept the default folder: /opt
Instant Calibre. Repeat weekly as needed
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Installing from an unofficial source is unsupported as we can't guarantee what kinds of modifications that source has mode. Nor can we confirm that source has done even the least bit of testing (Ubuntu has shipped calibre partly and whole broken in several releases).
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
mb_webguy

I can't use those instructions, because I can't satisfy the dependencies -- at least not without upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu (which I don't want to do, since I want to run the stable LTS release on this server). That's why I was using the PPA, as it contains Calibre as well as the dependencies not in the 10.04 repositories.

I guess I could temporarily add the Debian repositories to my sources...

[EDIT: No, I apparently can't. Trying broke Synaptic.]

Last edited by mb_webguy; 04-25-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The official Linux installer bundles almost every dependency. The only thing you would need to worry about is having a new enough version of glibc.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
mb_webguy

Oh.

Ok, then...

Ah, that works much better. Thanks!

Tags
0.7.50, plugins