Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
(PW2) Is there a way to have the night-mode?

Hi, I really like using koreader but sometimes I prefer the original reader over it.
So I was wondering, is there a way to have a night-mode with the original reader?

Thanks.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I hope you aren't asking if you can turn on a light that doesn't exist. In this case the answer will probably be disappointing.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I have never seen night-mode on a Kindle. I liked it on my Kobo Glo though.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
I hope you aren't asking if you can turn on a light that doesn't exist. In this case the answer will probably be disappointing.
Night-Mode, aka white text on black screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I have never seen night-mode on a Kindle. I liked it on my Kobo Glo though.
I'm using it with koreader.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Fires do that but NOT eInk ones
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Belenos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Fires do that but NOT eInk ones
That's not true,

This is my kindle with koreader, I was just wondering if it's possible to use it with the original (the default one) reader.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Night-Mode, aka white text on black screen.
How did I not know this... Sorry about that. :P
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It would be fairly simple to port the Kobo code to the Kindle, but that's not something I'm terribly interested in (mostly because it looks terrible, IMHO [white on black on eInk, I mean, not the code ], that, and as shown, KOReader does the job if need be).

And especially on the PW2, where it's completely against what the regal waveform update mode is supposed to alleviate, it looks even worse.

The only way to keep the ghosting at bay is with full flashes, always, which is jarring and blinding on devices with a frontlight (because the inverse of black is white, so you get weird white luminous flashes in your face after mostly black, it's awful).

A basic Linux/Kernel/C/Kindle knowledge is all you'll need to port the Kobo code, it's on GH, and fairly straightforward. We might not even need a number of the Kobo workarounds living in it.

I'd recommend a Touch to experiment, because they're fairly unbrickable [and in over 4 years of fiddling with Kindles, the *only* crash I ever experienced was when implementing Regal waveform support for the PW2 in KOReader, meaning if you do it wrong, you might end up with a Kernel panic on your hands ;p].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote