Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: issybird Run-Off • June 2014, Single Choice
A Diary without Dates by Enid Bagnold 5 41.67%
Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
issybird Run-Off • June 2014

Help us choose the June 2014 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The run-off poll will be open for one day.

The run-off vote is single-choice. A discussion thread will begin shortly after a winner is chosen.

The rotating nominator (this month - issybird) may not vote in the poll. In the event of a tie, the tie will be resolved by the rotating nominator.

Select from the following works:

A Diary without Dates by Enid Bagnold
Spoiler:
Bagnold, of National Velvet fame, published her short account of her experiences as a war nurse in 1917 and was fired as a result. Free at Project Gutenberg.

Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
Spoiler:
Much of what we know and feel about the First World War we owe to Vera Brittain's elegiac yet unsparing book. Abandoning her studies at Oxford in 1915 to enlist as a nurse in the armed services, Brittain served in London, in Malta, and on the Western Front. By war's end she had lost virtually everyone she loved. Testament of Youth is both a record of what she lived through and an elegy for a vanished generation. Hailed by the Times Literary Supplement as a book that helped “both form and define the mood of its time,” it speaks to any generation that has been irrevocably changed by war.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thinking this might be a runaway based on availability, but we'll see.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
And perhaps on thickness. The Vera-Brittain-book has more than 600 pages. I am still undecided.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
tough, tough choice - I voted fro Brittain, but I'll be happy with either.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Both books seem to be available in many countries. I'm sticking with my original vote. All the choices for this month sounded fascinating, and I couldn't resist adding to my TBR list!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My budget is not allowing me to purchase books and my library has no ebook for Testament of Youth. I'm not sure I'm up for 600 as well.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I just picked up a copy from my local library. I quickly read the first chapter and I think I'll really enjoy it. Unfortunately it's like carrying a bar fridge. I'll probably last about three more chapters before breaking down and coughing up $18 at Kobo. Choke choke!
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I just picked up a copy from my local library. I quickly read the first chapter and I think I'll really enjoy it. Unfortunately it's like carrying a bar fridge. I'll probably last about three more chapters before breaking down and coughing up $18 at Kobo. Choke choke!
Kobo's prices often seem higher than other options, at least in the US. The Kindle edition appears to be $12.99 CDN.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

$12.99 at Amazon in Canada. Kobo usually has coupons floating around, but the $18 is atrocious as a starting point.

My book budget is not going to allow me to buy it, so it would be the bar fridge option from the library if I get around to this.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
would you believe it, lucky those who live in Mexico, as over there every books is couponable and there is at leat a 50% coupon working (SAV50). Not to mention the lucky ones in India, where it is also couponable and after the discount it is 450.00 rupees, and one can even use paypal... ah, if only one could travel....
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My budget is not allowing me to purchase books and my library has no ebook for Testament of Youth. I'm not sure I'm up for 600 as well.
Never fear, I'm sure Testament is readily available at your local library, as an interlibrary loan if nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Well, I own copies in both paperback and hardback and I require more capacity in my bar fridge.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
$8,99 at Amazon.com. That is doable for me and it looks to be a great book.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It is. I read it many years ago and found it very moving indeed.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Never fear, I'm sure Testament is readily available at your local library, as an interlibrary loan if nothing else.
It is available as paper from the library. 600 pages has me daunted though. I still have 24 countries left in my challenge this year and this one would be a duplicate country. It would have been a better choice than what I did, but it's not like I haven't read anything worthy from the United Kingdom.

I've also already got three paper library books out that I need to finish before they are due.

I'm just making excuses. Is it working?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

You could try a few chapters and see how engaging it is or how fast it reads. Your global reading challenge sounds very interesting. Best of luck to you!