Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Buy from Amazon UK when in Australia

There is a book I wish to buy that is not available in the US, only from Amazon UK. I am based in Australia and I can buy from the US with a VPN, Gift card and US email address.

Is anybody using this or a similar method to buy from the UK?

One of these days the book companies will catch up with technology and abandon geographical limitations, and I hope it's soon. It encourages piracy.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
There's no reason to expect it to work any differently - although the VPN is overkill I think (I certainly don't use one and have bought from US, UK & German stores with no issues - otherwise those travelling outside their countries would be unable to buy on the move right?)
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
There's no reason to expect it to work any differently - although the VPN is overkill I think (I certainly don't use one and have bought from US, UK & German stores with no issues - otherwise those travelling outside their countries would be unable to buy on the move right?)
It's where your account is registered that matter. Eg, I can't buy eBooks from "Amazon.com" because my account is with "Amazon.co.uk".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
pietro99
Connoisseur

Amazon UK won't sell me any Kindle books at all. It just directs to the US. And Amazon US often tells me the book is not available in my geographical area. I need the VPN and a US email address to be able to buy these books.

AFAIK my account has to be registered in Australia because they can tell that's where I'm located.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
There is a book I wish to buy that is not available in the US, only from Amazon UK. I am based in Australia and I can buy from the US with a VPN, Gift card and US email address.
I haven't tried with the UK store but I did with US store and wasn't very successful I started up my VPN (hotspot shield) created a new account with a hotmail address filled it in with a US postal address and applied a gift card to the account, I was able to buy 7 books some of which I know are geo locked and it was all going well. Then I went to get another one and got the dreaded email from amazon telling me to correct my address I have no idea what tipped them off that I wasn't american.
I was loading the books into K4PC and am wondering if perhaps the K4PC software reported back to them that it was installed on an Aussie machine? Anyhow its all too much work and I wish they'd wake up and realise its a global ecconomy now, and Yes I know its not totally Amazons fault.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I haven't tried with the UK store but I did with US store and wasn't very successful I started up my VPN (hotspot shield) created a new account with a hotmail address filled it in with a US postal address and applied a gift card to the account, I was able to buy 7 books some of which I know are geo locked and it was all going well. Then I went to get another one and got the dreaded email from amazon telling me to correct my address I have no idea what tipped them off that I wasn't american.
I was loading the books into K4PC and am wondering if perhaps the K4PC software reported back to them that it was installed on an Aussie machine? Anyhow its all too much work and I wish they'd wake up and realise its a global ecconomy now, and Yes I know its not totally Amazons fault.
Interesting. That's exactly what I've been doing without problems but haven't tried for a while. I will probably try to set this up for UK Amazon tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think K4PC was probably what did you in. Also - did you do all 7 books in a short amount of time? I've seen people report they are okay as long as they keep it to 1 or 2 books at a time, but when they start mass buying like that it seems to trigger some sort of IP check or something.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's where your account is registered that matter. Eg, I can't buy eBooks from "Amazon.com" because my account is with "Amazon.co.uk".
Agreed, but if you physically relocate yourself and your Kindle to (say) France temporarily for a holiday, you can still buy from the Amazon.co.uk store because that's where you're registered.

Likewise if you move to France (permanently) and change your location to "France" then you will buy from whatever is on offer to the territory "France" - when you go to the UK (temporarily/on holiday) you will still be in "France" as far as Amazon is concerned.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I think you'll need to set up a new Amazon account with a UK-based address to be able to buy from the UK kindle store.

I hope the Australian ebook supply situation improves for you soon.

I used to fiddle with getting around geographic restrictions, but it's just too much hassle now that the UK ebook supply has improved so much. There are still US books I'd like, but there are so many other good books I try not to worry about them.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-27-2011 at 09:28 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Agreed, but if you physically relocate yourself and your Kindle to (say) France temporarily for a holiday, you can still buy from the Amazon.co.uk store because that's where you're registered.
That's right - and that's because, as you say, it's where I'm registered. If the OP's account, though, is NOT registered in the UK, Amazon won't let them buy eBooks from "amazon.co.uk" at all, just as I can't buy from "amazon.com".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
pietro99
Connoisseur

I'm trying to find a free VPN for the UK. I tried Expatshield, which seems to be the UK version of Hotspotshield. It allows me access to BBC Iplayer OK, but can't access Amazon UK, it keeps timing out.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?