Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
tkingny
tkingny is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Question New Kindle in the near future?

Has anyone heard when a new Kindle might be released? I was hoping there would be an announcement at the CES, but if there was anything, I certainly missed it. Does that mean that it will be a while?
tkingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Kindle 2 International was just released a few months ago and the DX International just a week or so ago. I doubt there will be a newer Kindle until later in the year. If you look at the Kindle section of the forum you will see several threads on this subject.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
We could see a mirasol kindle soon.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I expect Amazon to accelerate at least one more development because of the competition coming to market. My prediction is something late in the year, in time for Xmas 2010.

But I've got no good forecast of what changes it'll have. Could easily use the Nook dual-screen. A lot of folks find that a cool idea. I'm hoping for a bump in E-ink contrast and maybe resolution. A touchscreen will be disappointing if it lowers contrast (like the Sonys). Straight wifi transfers would be nice but I'm not expecting that from Amazon since that doesn't help lock in readers to their store. So who knows?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Could easily use the Nook dual-screen. A lot of folks find that a cool idea.
I hope not!
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I don't think we will see a new Kindle until color epaper is out.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
There are a lot of new 5" ebook readers that are quite popular. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon release their own 5" Kindle. I'd expect it to cost $179 or so, so as to beat the competitors on price by a little and still leave enough of a price gap for the $259 6".

Personally, I think there would be a decent-sized market for a 5" Kindle. The PRS-300 is very popular and so are the HanLin clones.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 01-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Could they make a "not butt-ugly" version? Right now they're 2 for 2*. Sony can manage to make reasonably attractive rectangles with sensible buttons. Why can't Amazon?

Regards,
Jack Tingle

*OK, the K2 is only half as ugly as the K1. And the PRS 500 wasn't so good, but the 505 was nice, and the 300 beats the K2 by a mile.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Could they make a "not butt-ugly" version? Right now they're 2 for 2*. Sony can manage to make reasonably attractive rectangles with sensible buttons. Why can't Amazon?

Regards,
Jack Tingle

*OK, the K2 is only half as ugly as the K1. And the PRS 500 wasn't so good, but the 505 was nice, and the 300 beats the K2 by a mile.
Your left off the "IMO".
Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I hope not!
gawds I agree!! The LCD on the nook is the single most useless bit of hardware on any ereader...it shows thumbnails of books in color...whoopie the ereader world is revolutionized and saved!! I like the Alex though, won't buy one, but if one wants a smaller reader with a dual LCD + eink device, it can probably do a decent job of using the LCD compared to the quite limited set of options with the nook's LCD panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I don't think we will see a new Kindle until color epaper is out.
yerp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
There are a lot of new 5" ebook readers that are quite popular. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon release their own 5" Kindle. I'd expect it to cost $179 or so, so as to beat the competitors on price by a little and still leave enough of a price gap for the $259 6".

Personally, I think there would be a decent-sized market for a 5" Kindle. The PRS-300 is very popular and so are the HanLin clones.
I doubt it...maybe but I dunno because of the whole keyboard idea. I have to say the keyboard is actually quite useful, even the one on the K1. So, I don't see them pushing their users, who are no imprinted on a keyboard, taking well to a non-keyboard version because that is just like every other reader on the market. I think the other companies simply beat Amazon to the punch on this form factor and their is simply not much Amazon can do about it.

BTW, right now one can buy a few colors of the PRS-300 on Amazon for $179 including shipping...I think that's a pretty decent buy and hard for Amazon to compete with...yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Your left off the "IMO".
+1 as well as "H" part of IMHO...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post

Well, I'm not holding my breath, but if it happens I'll be all over it. I've been thinking recently that I'd really like to have a Kindle, but the K2 is a little larger than I'd want. A 5" Kindle would be just about perfect for my needs.

Last edited by KarenH; 01-17-2010 at 04:05 AM.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I agree that the 6" K2 (as was the K1) is a bigger device. But as much as I hate to admit it, the keyboard is pretty useful...but nice for me the Kindle file system is horrible so I don't see me keeping my new K2 more than a week or so just to say I tried...my heart belongs to Pocketbook I think...but I, well, we could not pass up the deal I got from Amazon & Audible...

I really think from a portability standpoint the PB360 is the best case design of any ereader device. It's THIN plus it has that hard-shell cover to protect the display. When you look at the picture someone posted of it compared to a CD case, the perspective becomes really obvious...and advantage Pocketbook.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I hope the Mirasol Kindle rumors are true. Not because I want to buy a Kindle, but because I want to see better ebook readers and better e-paper screens. Perhaps if a Mirasol Kindle is not the device for me (it most likely will not be), at least it will push competitors toward alternative e-papers and crack the stranglehold of E-Ink a little bit.

Of course if it's true, it'll probably not be until 2nd half of this year that it appears. So a Kindle in the next month or two would probably depress me a little.

Oh, and the title of the thread deserves the repost of the video:

Edit: FOILED AGAIN!

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned

d'oh!! those bastages!! they killed Kenny!!