Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #31
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Pardon, but the actual topic of this thread is zonnelader-sacs.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

anyway, sorry for the slightly off-topic rant, it is a personal bête noire of mine ; to get back to the actual topic, all this to say, i suspect that in some circles, "liseuse" will gain a lot of ground, before "reader" (which, based on previous experience with adobe acrobat, will be pronounced "raï-deur" and no-one who uses it will realize it means "lecteur").
How is adobe acrobat pronounced in French? I'm dying to know.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How is adobe acrobat pronounced in French? I'm dying to know.
you do know, taylor is going to smack your fingers again for straying from the zonnelader-sacs (and dragging me with you)...

anyway, playing along, adobe acrobat is pronounced ah-doab (ō like in "boat") ak-ro-bat, like it's spelled (for once). but then we do have the word "acrobate" in french. i know, it's rather anticlimactic.

why, how do you pronounce it ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm going to have to stop reading this thread, I'm about to bust a gut laughing, and the dogs are looking at me funny! ("bust a gut" is a Southernism, for those who are interested)

They're French dogs, by the way, papillons.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm going to have to stop reading this thread, I'm about to bust a gut laughing, and the dogs are looking at me funny! ("bust a gut" is a Southernism, for those who are interested)

They're French dogs, by the way, papillons.
(i know, i love this thread !)

now i'm really confused : "papillon" is french, but it means butterfly, not dog ! petit scarabée... what kind of weird winged canine hybrid creatures do y'all have ??? ("y'all" is a southernism as well, i beleive !)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-18-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Papillon is the breed.

They get their name from their ears.

Here's a picture of my -- er, that is, my wife's dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Poots.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	11600  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

it's pretty bad, if dogs like that are giving you funny looks... ("your wife's dogs", of course... pull the other one...)

so, how much wind-resistance does all that hair give them ? i suppose it's another case of the bee : according to the laws of physics and aérodynamics, they shouldn't really be able to fly...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #38
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one on the right looks like a real smart@ss. The kind that'd chew up your liseuse, bury your gimboo, rip your zonnelader-sac to shreds. I wouldn't trust it.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The one on the right looks like a real smart@ss. The kind that'd chew up your liseuse, bury your gimboo, rip your zonnelader-sac to shreds. I wouldn't trust it.
(you just wait until *everyone* on the forum starts using "gimboo" and it passes into common language and is adopted into the dictionary. that'll teach you. )
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #40
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I think it's a perfectly cromulent term, which would serve to embiggen the English language.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

i'll bet you do.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #42
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Of course. Gimboo is derived from the Zwakele-Pardu word meaning "to go about with one's thumb jambed up one's nose" with the additional connotation "to act the idiot in public" or "hey, you have a booger on your face".

I think it works well as the term to use in place of "cell phone" and ought to be used in all discussions regarding gimboo technology. Except in French, of course, where the phrase "Devez-vous vraiment parler de vos affaires personnelles si fort" is already in common use.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Of course. Gimboo is derived from the Zwakele-Pardu word meaning "to go about with one's thumb jambed up one's nose" with the additional connotation "to act the idiot in public" or "hey, you have a booger on your face".

I think it works well as the term to use in place of "cell phone" and ought to be used in all discussions regarding gimboo technology. Except in French, of course, where the phrase "Devez-vous vraiment parler de vos affaires personnelles si fort" is already in common use.
now that we've clarified the etymology, i find it absolutely as cromulent. "cell-phone" always confused me anyway : what cells are we talking about ? stem cells ? in which case, isn't there some kind of legislation already in place ? (i read doonesbury too you know).

quant au français, hélas, la réponse semble généralement être "de quoi je me mêle ?" mais en (largement) moins poli.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #44
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Ou, "tu es un vrai mufle", n'est-ce pas?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

Guys, guys! (and I use that in the non-gender-specific sense)
Let's not get all frumious with each other.

Quote:
it's pretty bad, if dogs like that are giving you funny looks... ("your wife's dogs", of course... pull the other one...)
They are! I tell her so several time a day. Nevermind what the dogs themselves say.

Quote:
so, how much wind-resistance does all that hair give them ? i suppose it's another case of the bee : according to the laws of physics and aérodynamics, they shouldn't really be able to fly...
You'd be shocked, actually, the one on the right has been blown over a few times in a stiff wind while in an um ... less than fully stable position.

Quote:
Actually, the one on the right is a complete spaz. He's the he, by the way, the other is a she (most folks expect it to be the other way round). She's the one you have to watch, actually. She has a taste for old, rare books, of which there are more than a few lying around the house (from my wife's dissertation research: 19th century Brit Lit).

He usually knows what he's supposed to do, and will actually do it, until he forgets/gets distracted -- attention span of a lobotomized gnat, that one. She on the other hand will only do what she feels like doing, fortunately, I'm a lot bigger and scarier than they are (the big one is ~11lbs), so she generally decides she feels like doing more or less what I want her to do.

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, emotifaction, emotifactor, mozzle, mozzle of mozzle, natch's spleen, taylor514ce, unutterable silliness