Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Dark Tower

I just started reading The Gunslinger for the first time. The series has just become available as e-books in my country. I'm very courious to see who has read the series and what you think of it. And i'll tell you what I think of it along the way.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I just started reading The Gunslinger for the first time. The series has just become available as e-books in my country. I'm very courious to see who has read the series and what you think of it. And i'll tell you what I think of it along the way.
Finished the first book a couple of weeks ago. I am having trouble remembering the events in the book after a few weeks. It was average, but I did like the concept of the Dark Tower. Though with so little pay off about the Dark Tower, I am in no hurry to read the next one. Wondering how many books in it will take to learn about the Dark Tower.

It was written early in King's career. I thought I read somewhere, that he wasn't found of the first book. Obviously he liked the concepts since he continued it. I probably will continue the series as it is at the library.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have read the series except for the last book. The first book is very different from the others. If you didn't care for it so much as King's other good stuff, just keep going. I believe he wrote the first one long before it was actually published, then he put the series down for a while and continued it years later.

The fourth book, Wizard and Glass, was my favorite so far. Second favorite is Wolves of the Calla.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I really enjoyed the Gunslinger, and enjoyed the series up until The Wizard and Glass; after that point the series drove itself off a cliff. There's a point where King writes himself in as a character and I recommend getting off their to avoid wasting your time.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
One of the best mood/motif setting opening lines of all time.
Quote:
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"
It always surprises me to hear how so many people consider The Gunslinger one of the weaker installments in the series. I loved it. I'm not going to lie and say I loved every bit of the entire series—or that all seven books (and every single word) were absolutely necessary, but it was still a very memorable reading experience for me, over all.

Spoiler:
I even loved the ending that many people seem to love to gnash their teeth over.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm only at page 55 so far and I think I like it (still not sure), but hard to follow. I have a feeling that everything is not in chronological order. Am I right? For instance: first the Gunslinger's mule is dead and the next page it's alive again?!?
Maybe I shouldn"t try to read this after a twelve hour stressfull day at work haha.

Last edited by Joy736; 09-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've read the first five of the series, and although fantasy is not my thing, I tried them because it was Stephen King, and I ended up really enjoying them. It took a while to get into the first book, but it was worth it by the end. And despite the fact subsequent books get progressively longer and longer, I got hooked on them. Probably the only first edition hardback I've bought was no5 in the series, Wolves of the Calla. Sods law, I didn't enjoy it as much as the others and I didn't buy any more of them after that....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
There are a few really good threads on "Dark Tower" on this forum. Just "Search" for them.

I've read the 7-volume Dark Tower Series twice, and it is a long winding adventure. Don't give up after the first volume - it does set the tone for the rest of the series and foreshadows what is to come; but the real character development that SK does so well is in subsequent volumes.

You are correct, the volumes are not in chronological order. The volume that should have been first is Wizard and Glass (the 4th one) because that is the one on the Gunslinger's childhood. That one was my favorite and from that point onward I was hooked. Most Dark Tower readers have their favorite volumes.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
You are correct, the volumes are not in chronological order.
I'm sorry i was not clear enough. I meant the chronological order in the gunslinger (volume one) alone. First he arrived in some town (talking about being in Tull right before) and his mule died. And in the next part he arrives in Tull and his mule is alive again (this is all about the first 55 pages). Very confused here. But again, maybe I shouldn't read this after such a long work-day.

Last edited by Joy736; 09-03-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
my advice to you is to read them until the waste lands... gets pretty dull after that.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I'm on the waiting list for The Gunslinger at my library; I'm going to attempt a re-read of the series incorporating the new book, "The Wind Through the Keyhole."

I read the first four books in high school (around 1997). The first three books are great and the fourth is a bit boring but otherwise not terrible. The fifth book is pretty bad and the sixth book was so awful I only read half of it. I've never read book seven but I've read the Wikipedia synopsis so I know how it ends.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Joy736
Addict

I understand the story now (reading when well rested really helps haha) and i'm really enjoying the Gunslinger so far. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book and the rest of the series. Thanks to everyone so far for your oppinion/advice.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
One of the best mood/motif setting opening lines of all time.

It always surprises me to hear how so many people consider The Gunslinger one of the weaker installments in the series. I loved it. I'm not going to lie and say I loved every bit of the entire series—or that all seven books (and every single word) were absolutely necessary, but it was still a very memorable reading experience for me, over all.

Spoiler:
I even loved the ending that many people seem to love to gnash their teeth over.
I agree, that is a really memorable book opening.

Spoiler:
Personally, I really did not like much of the last book. The ending wasn't horrible, assuming it can even be considered an ending. When your conclusion relies on introducing a deus ex machina character with magical stationary, you've done something really wrong. I probably should have stopped the second King leapt out of the fourth wall to explain why its the journey that matters and not the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I've never read book seven but I've read the Wikipedia synopsis so I know how it ends.
Or doesn't end in this case. :P
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Joy736
Addict

I just finished the Gunslinger and I'm a little sad it's over . I loved it that much. I loved the crazy world in witch the story takes place, were anything can happen. The elusiveness of everything makes me curious for the next volumes.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
been re reading these and just finished book two

didn't enjoy them the first time I read them but I am enjoying them now on the second read

onto book three soon
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark tower, gunslinger, stephen king